Boston Red Sox's Xander Bogaerts watches his solo home run during the sixth inning of a baseball game against the Chicago White Sox in Chicago, Thursday, April 17, 2014. (AP Photo/Paul Beaty)
Xander Bogaerts didn’t appear distracted by his off the field Twitter gaffe. The next night he broke up a no-hitter with his first home run of the season.
AP

The Twitter account for Red Sox rookie Xander Bogaerts remains deactivated after he shut it down earlier this week following an errant tweet of a scantily clad woman.

Shortly after Wednesday’s extra innings win over the White Sox, a picture came from Bogaerts’ rarely used Twitter account of a woman in a thong taking a photograph of herself in a bathroom mirror.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

Bogaerts told Masslive.com that the picture, which was sent to the shortstop’s 40,000 followers, must have been sent as his phone bounced around in his pocket after the game.

He told MassLive:

"It definitely wasn't my intention. Once I found out it was on Twitter, I went immediately and deleted it and locked my Twitter account. One thing's for sure, I don't want it to be a distraction on the team or for me. Hopefully my focus can just stay on baseball. The thing is, I don't even tweet at all. I think my last tweet was probably last year. For me to do a tweet like that was something very unexpected, definitely. I mean, no one's perfect. Be a man and just face the situation. I didn't even know it was on there."

Manager John Farrell told the Providence Journal that he spoke to Bogaerts about the situation.

"This is an isolated incident," Farrell told the Journal. "Xander's acknowledged it, learned from it and moved on."

Would Bogaerts ever consider returning to Twitter?

“Why not?” the Boston Globe quoted him saying. “It was a mistake. Everyone learns from their mistakes.”