2 medium beets (1 pound), trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
2 shallots, quartered lengthwise
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 ounces plain goat cheese
3 ounces baby spinach
2 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, toss the beets and shallots with 2 tablespoons of oil, 1 teaspoon of thyme, salt, and pepper.
2. On a large, rimmed baking sheet, spread the beets and shallots. Roast them, turning halfway through cooking, for 30 minutes or until the beets are tender when pierced with a fork and the shallots are brown. Remove the beets and shallots from the oven.
3. With your fingers, crumble the goat cheese over the beets and shallots. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
4. Toss the spinach with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, the vinegar, and salt and pepper.
5. Divide the spinach between two plates and top with the mixture of beets, shallots, and goat cheese. Add more pepper and the remaining thyme.