1 cup sugar
4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon rind
2¾ cups flour
¼ cup cornstarch
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Have on hand two 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pans. (If using metal ones, grease them.)
2. In an electric mixer, cream the butter and the sugar. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then add lemon juice and rind.
3. Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Beat the poppy seeds into the batter. With the mixer set on its lowest speed, beat one third of the flour mixture into the butter mixture, followed by half the milk, then another third of the flour, then milk, then the remaining flour. Be careful not to overmix.
4. In a separate bowl with clean beaters, beat the egg whites and the cream of tartar until the whites are barely stiff. Gently fold whites into the butter and flour mixture.
5. Divide the batter between the pans. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool loaves slightly before turning onto racks to finish cooling.
FOR THE GLAZE
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1. In a small saucepan, combine the lemon juice and sugar. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil. Simmer 2 minutes.
2. Set the cakes on the rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Pour the glaze over the cakes, spooning the excess that falls into the pan below over the cakes. Let the cakes sit for 1 hour before cutting into slices.Adapted from "The Silver Palate