1/3 cup olive oil
3 large tomatoes, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 loaf French bread
4 fresh balls of mozzarella, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 handful fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
1. Turn on the broiler.
2. In a bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of the oil with the tomatoes, garlic, salt, and pepper.
3. Halve the bread lengthwise and slice partially through at 3-inch intervals, making individual servings that can be torn off. Lay bread halves cut sides up on a baking sheet. Brush lightly with oil (you'll have some left over).
4. Spread the tomato mixture on the bread and set slices of mozzarella on top. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano.
5. Place bread pizzas about 6 inches from the broiling element. Cook, checking often, for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts and browns at the edges.
6. Drizzle with remaining oil and sprinkle with basil.