Vegetable oil (for dish)
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
8 ounces small white mushrooms, quartered
Salt and pepper
3/4 teaspoon paprika
7 or 8 ounces medium egg noodles
2 eggs, beaten to mix
1. Heat the oven at 350 degrees. Oil a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
2. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Cook the onion over medium-low heat, stirring often, for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Add 1 more tablespoon oil to skillet and heat it. When it is hot, add the mushrooms, salt, pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of the paprika. Cook for 12 minutes or until the mushrooms are softened and onion is well browned.
4. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the noodles over high heat for about 4 minutes or until they are almost tender (they will not be cooked through). Drain them in a colander, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
5. In a large bowl, combine the noodles and mushroom mixture. Toss gently but thoroughly. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if you like; the mixture should be highly seasoned.
6. Stir in the eggs.
7. Transfer the noodle mixture to the prepared dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, then dust with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon paprika.
8. Bake the kugel for 30 minutes or until it is set and lightly golden on top. Cut into squares to serve.