Salt and pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch matchsticks
1 small summer squash, cut into 1-inch matchsticks
1/2 pound linguine
Grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup reserved pasta cooking liquid
1 1/3 cups grated Parmesan, and more for garnish
1/4 cup thinly sliced mint, and more for garnish
1. Fill a large pot with water and add enough salt so that the water tastes salty. Bring to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil. When it is hot, cook the onion for 8 minutes or until it softens. Add the garlic and anchovies and crush the anchovies against the pan until they dissolve.
3. Add the zucchini and summer squash and cook, stirring, for 8 minutes more or until tender. Sprinkle generously with pepper, and add salt to taste.3. Add the linguine to the boiling water and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until it is tender but still has some bite.
4. In a bowl, combine the lemon rind and juice, honey, and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add this to the zucchini and squash. Lower the heat and cook for 1 minute.
5. Before draining the pasta, dip a heatproof glass measuring cup into the pot and remove 1/2 cup cooking water. Drain the linguine and return to the pot.
6. Pour the lemon sauce over the pasta and stir gently. Add enough pasta water to loosen the sauce, if you like. Turn off the heat, and fold in the Parmesan and mint. Season generously with salt and pepper.
7. Divide the pasta between 2 shallow bowls; garnish each with mint, Parmesan, and more black pepper.