4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
6 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1. Set the oven at 375. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
2. Put the potatoes into the dish.
3. In a small saucepan, combine 4 tablespoons of the butter with the sugar, cinnamon, orange juice and rind, salt, nutmeg, and ginger. Cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
4. Pour the mixture over the sweet potatoes and bake for 30 minutes.
5. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the pecans and remove from the heat. Stir in the cranberries.
6. Pour the pecan mixture over the potatoes and continue baking for 25 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a skewer (total cooking time is 55 minutes).