|2||tablespoons vegetable oil|
|1||Spanish onion, finely chopped|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|2||cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|½||teaspoon dried oregano|
|1||small dried chili pepper, crumbled|
|8||chicken thighs, skin removed|
|½||cup white wine|
|1||can (15 ounces) imported whole tomatoes, crushed in a bowl|
|2 ½||cups water or chicken stock|
|1||cup long-grain brown rice|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh parsley|
1. In a large flameproof casserole, heat the oil. Add the onion and sprinkle with salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 10 minutes, or until the onionsoftens.
2. Add the garlic, oregano, and chili. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Sprinkle the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Move the onion mixture to the sides of the pan. Add the chicken, skinned sides down, to the pan. Cook, turning several times, over medium heat, for 10 minutes, or until the outside looks opaque. Pour in the wine and bring to a boil. Simmer steadily until the liquid reduces by half.
4. Add the tomatoes and water or stock. Bring to a boil, and sprinkle the rice into the pan. Return the liquid to a boil. Lower the heat and cover the pan. Cook the mixture for 40 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
5. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if you like. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
SHERYL JULIAN & JULIE RIVEN