Serves 6 as a side dish.
|Butter (for the pan)|
|3||eggs, lightly beaten|
|½||cup sour cream|
|½||cup whole milk|
|¼||teaspoon salt, or to taste|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper, or to taste|
|2||cups shredded russet potatoes|
|2||cups shredded Savoy cabbage (about ¼ of a head)|
|¾||cup (about 2½ ounces) shredded Gouda|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Butter a deep 9-inch pie pan.
2. In a large skillet, render the bacon until it is crisp and golden brown. Transfer to paper towels. When the bacon is cool, crumble it.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, sour cream, milk, salt, and pepper. Blend in potatoes, cabbage, and cheese. Pour the mixture into the pie pan.
4. Cover with foil and bake the pie for 40 to 45 minutes or until it is just set.
5. Remove the pie from oven, uncover it, sprinkle with bacon, and return it to the oven. Bake for 5 minutes more. Let the pie stand for a few minutes before cutting into wedges.