Makes 6 to 7 dozen
If you don't have a cookie press, you can roll the dough into hazelnut-size balls in your palms, then press lightly with the bottom of a glass. Decorate as directed.
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon almond, lemon, or vanilla extract, or a combination
Colored sugar, sprinkles, jimmies, or M&M's (for decorating)
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Have on hand 2 baking sheets. Line them with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In an electric mixer, cream the butter. Add the sugar gradually and beat until the mixture is creamy.
4. Beat in the egg and extract. Gradually blend in the flour mixture until the dough is smooth.
5. Fill a cookie press and press the dough onto the baking sheets. Decorate the cookies with sugar, sprinkles, jimmies, or M&M's.
6. Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges are just starting to color. Transfer the parchment with cookies to wire racks to cool.
7. Continue pressing and baking dough until it is all used. Store in airtight containers.
-- Adapted from Dolores Miller