Makes 2 large loaves
This fine-crumbed bread has a beautifully crunchy crust and just a hint of sweetness.
|8||tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature|
|1||cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for sprinkling|
|4||teaspoons baking powder|
|3/4||teaspoon baking soda|
|Pinch of salt|
|1 1/2||cups buttermilk|
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter with a pastry blender or fork. Add the flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix
well with the blender or fork.
3. In another bowl, stir together the egg and buttermilk.
4. Make a well in the flour-butter mixture. Pour in the egg mixture. Mix gently but thoroughly. Stir in raisins.
5. Transfer the dough to the pans, dividing it evenly. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until the tops are golden and a skewer inserted into the center of the loaves comes out clean.
7. Cool the loaves in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn out of the pans and leave to cool completely.