|1/8||teaspoon cream of tartar|
|1||teaspoon almond extract|
|1 1/4||cups sugar|
|1 1/2||cups ground almonds, toasted until golden|
2. In an electric mixer, beat the egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
3. Add the almond extract and sugar. Continue beating until stiff.
4. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand. With a large rubber spatula, fold in the almonds.
5. With a soup spoon, drop the macaroons in 1 1/2-inch balls, about 1 inch apart.
6. Bake the cookies for 25 minutes. Cool on the sheets.