Makes one 10-inch cake
|Butter (for the pan)|
|Flour (for the pan)|
|2||cups blanched whole or slivered almonds|
|1/2||cup granulated sugar|
|1||teaspoon grated lemon rind|
|1/8||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|Confectioners' sugar (for sprinkling)|
2. Spread the almonds on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast them for 10 minutes or until they are lightly golden. Leave to cool. In a food processor, grind the nuts.
3. In an electric mixer or by hand with a whisk, beat the eggs, sugar, and lemon rind until the mixture is thick. Beat in the cinnamon.
4. With the mixer set on low speed, beat in the almonds.
5. Transfer the batter to the pan. Bake the cake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. To make the cross: Draw a cross on paper and cut it out. Lay the paper cross in the center of the cake. Sift confectioners' sugar all over the cake. Carefully lift off the paper cross.
Adapted from Marisol Fernández