Makes 4 dozen
|Vegetable oil spray (optional)|
|3/4||teaspoon baking powder|
|1||cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature|
|1||cup granulated sugar|
|1/4||teaspoon lemon extract|
|Extra flour (for sprinkling)|
|1/4||cup seedless raspberry jam|
|Confectioners' sugar (for sprinkling)|
2. In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3. In an electric mixer with paddle attachment (if you have one), cream the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well.
4. With the mixer set on low speed, beat in the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Add the milk and lemon extract. Mix until the dough comes together.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and divide it into 2 pieces. With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll each piece of dough about 1/8-inch thick. Stamp out cookies. Gather the scraps, reroll, and cut out more cookies.
6. Set the cookies on the baking sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned and beginning to crisp at the edges. Remove the sheets from the oven and let the cookies sit for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
7. Spread half the cookies with jam. Sandwich them with the remaining cookies. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Adapted from ''The Family Kitchen"
© Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.