|Cooking spray (for pan)|
|Flour (for pan)|
|1||cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar|
|1||cup vegetable oil|
|3/4||teaspoon baking soda|
|3/4||teaspoon baking powder|
|3/4||teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or a mixture of ground cloves, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg)|
|1/2||teaspoon vanilla extract|
|2||cups grated carrots|
|1/2||cup chopped pecans|
|1/2||cup golden raisins|
|1||cup shredded coconut|
2. In the bowl of a mixer, combine the sugar, oil, and eggs. Beat at medium-high speed until smooth and creamy.
3. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, pie spice or spice mixture, and salt into a bowl. Add to egg mixture and combine at medium-low speed.
4. Add the vanilla, carrots, pecans, raisins, and 2/3 cup of the coconut and beat at low speed for 30 seconds. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand. Use a rubber spatula to finish mixing the dough, which will be quite thick.
5. Spoon the batter into prepared pans. Sprinkle tops with remaining 1/3 cup coconut.
6. Bake the muffins 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees and continue baking for 25 minutes, or until muffins are firm to the touch and lightly browned. (
Adapted from Vicki Lee Boyajian