Makes about 20
|2 1/2||cups flour|
|1 1/2||teaspoons kosher salt|
|1||teaspoon baking soda|
|1||teaspoon baking powder|
|1||cup dark brown sugar|
|1/4||cup granulated sugar|
|1||cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces|
|1||extra egg yolk|
|1||tablespoon vanilla extract|
|3||cups bittersweet chocolate, chopped|
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
3. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (if you have one) or the whisk, cream the brown and granulated sugars and butter for 5 minutes or until fluffy.
4. In a bowl, beat the eggs and extra yolk just to mix them.
5. With the mixer on medium speed, add the egg mixture and vanilla. Mix until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula once or twice. Add the flour mixture and beat until combined. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand. With a rubber spatula, fold in the chocolate.
6. Remove golf-ball sized lumps of dough and set them on the sheets 3 inches apart. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes or until they are just beginning to turn golden.
7. Cool on the baking sheets. Store cooled cookies for up to 3 days in an airtight container.