Freeform strawberry tart
Makes 1 large tart
Almost like a giant cookie, this freeform pastry is easy to roll out. Bake it until golden, then pile on the berries and cream just before serving (left).
|1 1/2||cups flour|
|1/8||teaspoon baking powder|
|2||ounces cream cheese ( 3/4 of a 3-ounce package), at room temperature|
|3||tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature|
|2||tablespoons granulated sugar|
|1 to 2||tablespoons ice water|
|1||egg, beaten to mix with 1 teaspoon vinegar|
|Extra flour (for sprinkling)|
2. In an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until soft and light. Add the sugar and beat well again.
3. Add the flour mixture and beat just until the mixture forms sandy pieces.
4. Beat 1 tablespoon of ice water into the egg mixture. Add the egg mixture to the butter mixture, beating on medium speed only until the pastry forms large clumps. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, if necessary. The pastry should not form a ball. If there are dry patches, add more ice water 1/2 teaspoon at a time until clumps form.
5. Turn the clumps out onto a lightly floured counter. Cut through them with a pastry scraper or a blunt knife until the mixture comes together to form a dough. Shape the dough into a smooth flat cake. Wrap in foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Set the oven at 375 degrees. Line an unrimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
7. On a lightly floured counter, roll the dough to a 10- to 12-inch round. The edges should be smooth and the pastry even all over. With a fork, prick the dough well; do this in rows all over so the round bakes evenly.
8. Bake the pastry in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, turning the sheet from back to front halfway through cooking, or until the round is golden brown.
9. Slide the round on the parchment sheet onto a wire rack to cool. Set aside for up to half a day.
BERRIES AND CREAM
|1||quart strawberries, hulled and quartered|
|1/4||cup granulated sugar|
|3/4||cup heavy cream|
|3||tablespoons confectioners' sugar|
|1/2||teaspoon vanilla extract|
|Confectioners' sugar (for sprinkling)|
2. In an electric mixer in a cold bowl with cold beaters, beat the cream until it holds soft peaks. Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
3. Pile the cream on the pastry round, leaving a 1-inch rim around the edge. Add the berries in a mound. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve at once.