|4||medium beets (mix the varieties)|
|1/4||cup olive oil, and more for serving|
|Kosher salt and pepper, to taste|
|2||ounces ricotta salata or feta cheese|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Cut off any leaves attached to the beets. Trim both ends. Wash the beets well.
2. Tear off 4-foot-long sheets of foil. Set each beet in the center of a piece of foil. Sprinkle them with olive oil, then liberally with salt and a touch of pepper. Wrap each beet in the foil.
3. Place the beets in a small baking dish. Transfer to the oven and roast for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the beets are tender when pierced with a skewer.
4. Let the beets cool slightly, then open the packets. Leave the skins on or peel them. To peel, place the beets on paper towels; use the towels to rub the skins off.
5. Slice the beets and sprinkle with oil. Or leave to cool and cut the beets into 3/4-inch cubes. Arrange them, checkerboard-style, on a platter. Sprinkle with oil before serving.
6. Serve with thinly shaved ricotta salata or crumbled feta. Adapted from Vox Populi