|Nonstick baking spray (for the muffin cups)|
|1 3/4||cups flour|
|2||teaspoons baking powder|
|1/2||teaspoon baking soda|
|1 1/2||teaspoons ground cinnamon|
|1/2||teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg|
|1/4||teaspoon ground cloves|
|3||tablespoons canola oil|
|2||tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled|
|2||teaspoons vanilla extract|
|1||large apple, peeled, cored, and shredded|
2. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves onto a sheet of waxed paper.
3. In an electric mixer, beat the buttermilk, oil, melted butter, egg, and vanilla on medium speed for 1 minute. On low speed, beat in the flour mixture in two additions, mixing until just incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl several times.
4. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand. With a wooden spoon, stir in the shredded apple.
5. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups, mounding it gently in the center. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes, or until set and a toothpick withdraws clean.
|1/4||cup granulated sugar|
|3/4||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
1. In a bowl mix the sugar and cinnamon. When the muffins are baked, immediately sprinkle them with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
2. Let the muffins stand in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Serve warm. Lisa Yockelson