If you can't find kashkaval cheese, substitute Greek kasseri, Swiss, or Parmesan cheese.
|1||tablespoon olive oil|
|2||pounds leeks, trimmed|
|1/2||cup crumbled feta cheese|
|1/2||cup grated kashkaval cheese, plus 3 tablespoons for the top|
|1/3||cup matzo meal|
|4||eggs, lightly beaten|
|1 1/2||teaspoons kosher salt|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
2. Cut the white and green parts of the leeks into 1-inch chunks. Place them in a large bowl of cold water and swish them around to remove any dirt. Do this several times if necessary.
3. Drop the leeks into the boiling water. Cook for 45 minutes or until very tender. Drain in a colander; cool.
4. Set the oven at 350 degrees.
5. In a large bowl, combine the leeks, feta, 1/2 cup of the grated cheese, matzo meal, eggs, salt, and pepper. Spread the mixture in the baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 3 tablespoons cheese.
6. Bake for 50 minutes or until puffed and golden. Adapted from Valya Shapiro