Crab and avocado verrine
Makes 4 appetizers
|2||small ripe avocados|
|2||scallions, trimmed and chopped|
|Grated rind of 1 lime|
|2||tablespoons lime juice, or to taste|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|3||tablespoons olive oil|
|6||ounces fresh crabmeat|
|1||tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger|
|1||tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro|
|1||tablespoon chopped chives|
|4||leaves fresh cilantro (for garnish)|
2. With a sharp serrated knife, peel the skin and pith from the grapefruit. Cut the fruit into segments, discarding the membrane; cover and set aside.
3. Halve the avocados, pit them, discard the skin, and dice the flesh. Transfer to a bowl. Add the scallions, lime rind and juice, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Toss gently. Taste and add more lime juice or salt, if you like.
4. In another bowl, toss the crab meat, ginger, cilantro, chives, salt, pepper, and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
5. Divide half the crabmeat among the glasses. Add half the avocado, then another layer of crabmeat. Finish with a layer of avocado. Top with a few pieces of grapefruit. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours or until ready to serve.
6. Garnish each glass with a cilantro leaf. Béatrice Peltre