|Butter (for the dishes)|
|3/4||cup whole milk|
|1||cup heavy cream|
|6||sprigs fresh thyme|
|3||garlic cloves, crushed|
|2||Yukon Gold or Yellow Finn potatoes, thinly sliced|
|1||small celeriac, thinly sliced|
|1||parsnip, thinly sliced|
|4||leaves fresh sage, chopped|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg|
1. Have on hand 4 individual baking dishes (1 cup capacity each). Butter the dishes.
2. In a saucepan, combine the milk, cream, thyme, and garlic. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil and remove it from the heat.
3. Cover the pan and set aside for 20 minutes. Strain the liquids, discarding the thyme and garlic.
4. Set the oven at 375 degrees.
5. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes, celeriac, and parsnip with sage, salt, and pepper. Arrange the slices in the dishes so they make even layers. Pour the cream mixture onto the vegetables. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
6. Bake the dishes for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. Béatrice Peltre