Trial ordered for Costa Rican in Cabral slaying
GUATEMALA CITY—A judge in Guatemala has ordered a Costa Rican man to stand trial for last year's fatal shooting of Argentine folk singer Facundo Cabral.
Judge Claudia Gonzalez says there is enough evidence to charge Alejandro Jimenez Gonzalez with homicide and attempted homicide.
Authorities say the suspect may have links to Mexico's powerful Sinaloa drug cartel and may have ordered the assassination attempt on a man driving with Cabral at the time of the July 9 attack.
Jimenez Gonzalez has said he is innocent of the charges. He was caught last week trying to enter Colombia.
The judge ruled Thursday that he will be held at a Guatemala City jail pending investigation and trial.