Busy Earnin' | Jungle Listen Live

J. Geils Band to Reunite for HOB Opening

Posted by Sarah Rodman  January 28, 2009 06:41 PM

jgeilsmerlin.jpg

Reputah the Beautah better start growing her hair because the J. Geils Band is reuniting for the opening night party at the new House of Blues on Lansdowne St. The line-up will include, of course, guitarist J. Geils, frontman Peter Wolf, keyboardist Seth Justman, harp player Magic Dick, and bassist Danny Klein. (Whither fish-head wielding drummer Stephen Jo Bladd? He sat out the 1999 reunion too, replaced by Rollins Band stickman Sim Cain. No word on who will man the kit this time as of yet.)

Here's the ticket info:
J. Geils Band
At the House of Blues
Feb. 19, 2009 at 8 p.m.
Tickets are $45.00-$160.00 and go on sale Friday, January 30, 2009 at 10 a.m. Tickets are available online through Ticketmaster, Live Nation, and the House of Blues or by phone at 800-745-3000. A portion of the proceeds from the concert benefit International House of Blues Foundation® .

1. long live j geils...everbodies favorite house party band.....whamma jamma all!! if you never saw this band in the heyday, do it now, sos you can tell the grandchildren you saw the greatest american band ever...aerosmith doens't even come close.....open up the door bit%! and let me in!

Posted by Sal Paradise January 28, 09 07:29 PM
  1. Made loud to play loud!

Posted by Tim Flan January 28, 09 08:13 PM
  1. Talk about a natural match! J Geils Band plus the House of Blues. Hey, can someone lend me $40?

Posted by TC January 28, 09 08:55 PM
  1. Wish I could be there. I saw J. Geils open up for the Stones in Sweden some time back in 89...

Posted by J. Geils fan January 28, 09 09:20 PM
  1. saw them open for van the man at symphony hall about 1971

Posted by pumpsie green January 28, 09 10:04 PM
  1. The only thing better would be if Duke and the Drivers were the opening act!

Posted by Milligan January 28, 09 10:30 PM
  1. The college of musical knowledge! Woofah Goofah with the Green Teeth rises! I believe he musta, he musta, he musta, he musta got lost!!!

Posted by BillyfromLynn January 28, 09 11:24 PM
  1. Do yourself a favor....BLOW YOUR FACE OUT.......you won't regret it.

Posted by FHussar January 28, 09 11:25 PM
  1. Man! My first desktop ever was named Computah the Beautah, because of the luxurious flowing cables sprouting from her ports...

Posted by Columbine January 28, 09 11:45 PM
  1. First I look at the purse!
    A woman can be fat as can be,
    kisses sweet as honey
    But that don't mean a thing to me
    If you ain't got no money .......

damn times are tough - I can't afford a ticket.

Posted by jingle_ballz January 29, 09 01:00 AM
  1. I saw J. Geils for the first time at the Orpheum, around 1979, then again at the Cape Cod Coliseum on X-mas eve in 1980. I still have the t-shirt from that show. (Have you ever noticed how concert Ts shrink over the years, even when you don't wear them?) Anyway, I really hope to be able to see them again at the HOB!

Posted by Ronzo January 29, 09 09:00 AM
  1. How do I sign up to be the drummer?

Posted by Dan January 29, 09 12:17 PM
  1. Damn! I'm envious out in San Diego!
    When I last saw the band back in '78, they had to to turn on the houselights to get 'em to stop even after 3 1/2 hours!!! They wouldn't be stopped and we wouldn't let em!! Best rock show ever!

Wish they could pull it together for a quick tour, cuz we still love ya in Cali!!

Posted by JoneZ January 30, 09 12:23 AM
  1. HOB J Geils! An Event Not To Be Missed. Got tickets and looking wicked forward to it. Better be recorded/filmed and DVD made available. I was in the Boston Garden, late 1978. J. Geils Band Day in the City of Boston. Awesome. Money Island. Sanctuary. Reunion Tour 1999 at Great Woods. Thanks guys - keep on a rockin', blues-in' and a rollin'!

Posted by CheetahFTL January 30, 09 11:12 AM
  1. You know what a J Geils party is all about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by paul h January 30, 09 04:09 PM
  1. Take Out! ... your false teeth momma, I won't to ..suck on your gums. - Peter Wolf.

Posted by k2 January 30, 09 08:43 PM
  1. " Do I hear chimes", in my head ? It's not a House Party without it.... Long time fan way over do. Lansdowne St. will never be the same after this Southside Shuffle.
    Hey Pete, maybe we'll see you again in the spring bopping around Newbury St. Thanks for all the tracks you guys put down. My kids are now enjoying them. A new generation of fans. The dynasty lives on.

Posted by Mikey D. January 30, 09 10:18 PM
  1. I sure know what a Geils Party is all about.. Get Ready To have some fun people!!! I will be there!!!!

Posted by Diana DAvanzo January 31, 09 11:59 AM
  1. saw them in davenport iowa 74 or 75 (foggy years). then reunion tour. one of the best ever no doubt. everyone needs to let them know don't just play boston. come to phoenix please

Posted by mark koster February 7, 09 03:39 AM
  1. I live in Cali and saw the boys everytime they came ,now at fifty me and a guy at work still talk about the greatest band ever.THEY HAVE TO COME TO L.A
    WE ARE GONNA BLOW YOUR FACE OUT/ AND WHAMMA JAMMA MAGIC DICK.
    GREATEST words ever screamed at a concert.
    Harvey

Posted by Harvey February 7, 09 12:59 PM
  1. sure wish I could be there. This band is the best of the rest. I saw them twice. Once at the CCC (Cape Cod Collesium) in 1978 when it was 120 degrees plus in that place. Back-up bands were Ian Hunter of Mott the Hoople fame and the one and only Tom Petty and the Hb's. What a show! Peter was spraying everyone with champagne from the stage that night just to keep everyone cool. Saw them at the old Boston Garden too. They brought the house down!
    C'mon guys--you need to tour ! We've waited long enough !

Posted by S.T. February 8, 09 12:27 AM
  1. Great to see the boys are doin it again. Come on guys .... do the tour that everyone is waitin for .......

Posted by deuce February 9, 09 12:20 PM

Posted by deuce February 9, 09 12:20 PM
  1. The bad boys from Boston are BACK!! lets get CRAZY tonite! wow what good news to hear,saw them several times in the sevnties in so.cal..they always brought it& tore it up with greay energy n sound,,The boys need to take thetr 1st roadie to L.A. & wake this town up..word s getting out the BEST live band is BACK

Posted by pack fair& square February 12, 09 08:02 PM
  1. Who remembers the Catacombs on Boylston St in 1970 or so
    There floors down and the Boys blowin it out!
    Glenn at BU

Posted by Glenn February 13, 09 02:25 AM
  1. It would be great if they did a Tour Of North america
    if so play the Excel in st.Paul Minnesota

Posted by Troy Mathison February 15, 09 03:15 PM
  1. The best band in the land for sure. I've been to 18 J Geils show's. I saw them for the first time 1973 or 4 at UNH. I think the ticket price was 5.00. So many New Years Eve shows . Portland Me. Providence R.I. Boston Garden , JFK Manchester N.H. Each and every show they gave 110%. I'm trying to get tickets. Somebody help me Somebody help me now Somebody help me find some tickets right now

Posted by Ray B N.H. February 17, 09 06:53 PM
  1. Got my face blown out by the mighty JGB on "J Geils Day in Boston" (1978?) at the Olde Boston Garden with Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes. They shook that building to its foundation that night. They were on fire and the hometown crowd was gasoline. There are a lot of bands that are more famous, sold more records or got more critical acclaim, but there are very few bands that could hold a candle to the JGB live on a good night. And every night was a good night. Its a crime that they're not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. TAKE OUT YOUR FALSE TEETH MAMA, I WANNA SUCK ON YOUR GUMS!

Posted by Mr Punchy February 18, 09 07:56 AM
  1. from the cobo hall days to the ballroom, and to great woods ....both nights Awesome, Guys do it again, get steve and Play man play...........

JimmytheBrain.......

Posted by Jim Farkas February 19, 09 02:30 PM
  1. when it ocmes to the kings of blow your face out there---- is only one band

period....move over Rollng Stones and Beatles and everyone else.... the Wolf and Magic Dick are the core of the real deal house party....my earliest memory of witnesing a Geils show was at the Topsfield ,Mass agricultural fair way back in the late 60's--- the band pulle up in a beat- to -shit beach wagon packed with amps and drums, proceeded to thorw a house party until a fight broke out with a local motorcycle gand called the Devils Diciples... i ran to the Geils car and heard Wolf say lets get the f--- out of here.... that what rock and roll is all about .... long live the kings of rock and roll --- the geils band can thros a house party like
    michael jackson only dreams about....

Posted by walt slattery February 23, 09 05:47 PM
  1. I wish they would do a tour. Most underated band in Rock History!!! Let's get Crazy! Saw them oh about 30 times first time in LA oh about 1973. Wow. Best Band to take the stage. They all learned from them..the Stones, Southside Johnny, even the Boss knows Peter Rocks. And he has charisma!!! Damn could not get a ticket to HOB show.

Posted by Jake Blake February 26, 09 10:51 PM
  1. First time I saw them was probably 1970 at The Fillmore East opening for Black Sabbath. Serves you right to suffer if you haven't seen them!

Posted by Mikey K October 30, 09 02:02 PM

About Sound Effects

The latest news, commentary, and reviews on music in Boston and beyond.

Sarah Rodman is a staff music critic for the Boston Globe.

James Reed is a staff music critic for the Boston Globe.

Jonathan Perry is the Globe's Scene & Heard columnist, covering local music.

Julian Benbow is a staff writer at the Boston Globe, covering sports and music.

Katie McLeod is Boston.com's features editor.

Emily Wright is an Arts & Entertainment producer at Boston.com.