Gotta Get Away | The Black Keys Listen Live

Boston on U2's Horizon

Posted by Sarah Rodman  March 2, 2009 12:39 PM

u2.jpg

To promote its new album "No Line on the Horizon," out tomorrow, U2 will play a show next Wed. March 11 at a yet-to-be disclosed location in town. (Our colleague Mark Shanahan reported on this possibility in the Names blog yesterday and in today's Globe, but this morning we have confirmation). No word yet on whether there will be actual ticket sales but many of the local radio stations are offering "win your way in" contests. Click to check out the options for WBCN, WZLX, WAAF, WBOS, WFNX, and Mix 98.5.

U2 also begins its weeklong residency tonight on "The Late Show with David Letterman" and, according to the band's website, will announce its stadium tour dates next Monday.

1. I predict U2 will be in Boston on March 20 and/or 21 and play with the Pogues at the House of Blues. After all, the Pogues used to open up for them years ago. ;-)

Posted by debenedc March 2, 09 04:59 PM
  1. It's really disappointing WFNX isn't on the list. I bet they've stuck by U2 more than any of the other stations, except maybe BCN.

Posted by smosh March 2, 09 08:28 PM
  1. Hey smosh,

WFNX is in fact doing a giveaway, that was my fault, I just forgot to check the station's website. I added them to the list. Thanks for mentioning it. My apologies.

Posted by Sarah Rodman March 2, 09 08:34 PM
  1. I'm abroad (south America)... any clue if I can participate in any of these?

Posted by Pablo Buitrago March 2, 09 08:42 PM
  1. Of course this will be on St. Patrick's Day!

Posted by Snowman March 2, 09 08:51 PM
  1. Sarah,

Was the blog correct? we bought tickets based on the blog. We hope you are correct.

Thanks.

Posted by U2Fan March 2, 09 09:07 PM
  1. I'd pay anything to go to that show....

Screw the economy, I'll go broke with a big smile on my face...

Posted by Mike March 2, 09 09:33 PM
  1. Mark Shanahan owes me $35 dollars if they don't play the Paradise!

Posted by Vivalaselvis March 2, 09 09:55 PM
  1. Speaking of early radio support, how about WBRU in Providence? They were a part of U2 coming to Brown in 1983 and they've hung with them ever since. That was a few weeks before U2 headed to Boston to play the Orpheum.

And yes, I'm that old.

Posted by OldGuyStilHangingOn March 2, 09 11:46 PM
  1. I clicked onto the station websites mentioned in the piece. No mention on Mix, as they're too busy dealing with the breakup of BNL (insert big yawn here)....and WBOS (boring) wants to make you sign up for something to get the info.... But WBCN and WAAF mention it.... but koodos to WZLX. They even have a video with Carter talking about U2 and how they started in Boston and the original Paradise shows. Good video, good content. But, what are stations thinking when they don't hype this on their homepage, when ALL anyone in Boston is talking about is this U2 show. heck, I'm an old jerk now, but even my old pals are burning up the lines wanting to talk about it.
    Can't wait to find out where the show will be at.

Posted by franktalk March 4, 09 12:51 PM
  1. Hey Franktallk,

I doublechecked, there is a promo on the Mix 98.5 website still, it's in the scrolling "Today on Mix" box on the upper-left of the screen. (It's one of several stories that flashes there). They too want you to sign up to win.

Posted by Sarah Rodman March 5, 09 11:14 AM
  1. As everyone probably knows by now the show is in Somerville...No, I don't have tickets, but anticipate to have some for the tour in September. Looks like Mark owes somebody $35...lol To everyone who won tickets...Enjoy! Should be a great time!

Posted by U2Junkie March 10, 09 11:04 PM

About Sound Effects

The latest news, commentary, and reviews on music in Boston and beyond.

Sarah Rodman is a staff music critic for the Boston Globe.

James Reed is a staff music critic for the Boston Globe.

Jonathan Perry is the Globe's Scene & Heard columnist, covering local music.

Julian Benbow is a staff writer at the Boston Globe, covering sports and music.

Katie McLeod is Boston.com's features editor.

Emily Wright is an Arts & Entertainment producer at Boston.com.