All Of The Rage Back Home | Interpol Listen Live

Is Steven Tyler Quitting Aerosmith? Joe Perry Thinks So

Posted by Sarah Rodman  November 9, 2009 01:19 PM

aerosmith32.jpg

UPDATE:
WZLX deejay Chuck Nowlin just checked in to say that he spoke to Joe Perry and he'll be running the interview during the 4 o'clock hour.

Has lead singer Steven Tyler quit Aerosmith? It sure looks that way, as far as lead guitarist Joe Perry can tell.

The latest rumors began when Tyler gave an interview to a British magazine called Classic Rock last week after Aerosmith's performance in Abu Dhabi. Tyler said he has pulled out of a band tour of South America and that his upcoming plans will focus on "brand Tyler." In that same interview, guitarist Brad Whitford mused on the wisdom of trying to replace Tyler but concluded "if somebody was willing to do it and the chemistry was right, why not?”

Although Tyler did not definitively state that he was quitting the band, Perry apparently interpreted his words as such. Perry told the Las Vegas Sun last week: "Steven quit, as far as I can tell."

Perry also issued a series of Twitter posts that paint a picture of a band divided, including one that says the last time the pair spoke on the phone, Tyler hung up on him. "What about [the] fans?" Perry said. "The people that also love him and put him where he is after 40 years? And I gotta read it on line?"

Efforts to reach Tyler, Perry, and other band members were unsuccessful.

This latest flurry of activity comes after the band played a few make-up dates in Hawaii after their ill-fated summer tour and the Grand Prix concert in Abu Dhabi. Tyler, according to Perry's tweets, was feeling better following a fall from the stage in South Dakota in August that left him with a broken shoulder among other maladies.

Although the Classic Rock story stated that the band's Abu Dhabi performance was filled with "bonhomie," that is clearly not the case offstage. Other band members admit they see Tyler only onstage.

Local Aerosmith fans may get one of the first glimpses of "brand Tyler" in January when the singer appears at an event at the Capitol Center for the Arts in Concord, N.H. The event, called "Dream On: An Intimate Evening With Steven Tyler," is billed as a multimedia presentation that will include video, a two-song presentation, and a Q&A with the singer that promises "a revealing look at the intimate details of Tyler's life." The evening will benefit Child and Family Services' adolescent substance abuse treatment and child abuse prevention initiatives.

While Perry continues to tour in support of his recent solo effort "Have Guitar, Will Travel," including a gig next Saturday at the House of Blues, just last month he seemed hopeful, if not confident, that the band would reconvene with Tyler. In an interview at his home in Duxbury, Perry told the Globe "the band is not breaking up." He also dismissed the notion that the singer in his solo band -- Perry's You Tube discovery German vocalist Hagen -- was in the running to replace Tyler in Aerosmith.

In the Las Vegas Sun story, Perry changed his tune, however. “As far as replacing Steve, it’s not just about that. It’s also four guys that play extremely well together, and I’m not going to see that go to waste. I really don’t know what path it’s going to take at this point, but we’ll probably find somebody else that will sing in those spots where we need a singer and then we’ll be able to move Aerosmith up a notch, move the vibe up a notch.”

1. Isn't it kinda late? I mean, he's like 75 or something.

Posted by Monique VanDeSoaker November 9, 09 01:49 PM
  1. Tyler looked awful in the pics I've seen of him lately plus Aerosmith were terrible anyway. Tylers already lousy voice has sounded worse after his throat surgery a few years back.

Posted by Karl E.Schneider November 9, 09 01:59 PM
  1. Who really cares? They should have retired 20 years ago.

Posted by Tim November 9, 09 01:59 PM
  1. It's not Aerosmith without Steven Tyler...he's the voice...it would never be the same!! How could Tyler even think of leaving something that's been working for decades!? I couldn't imagine an Aerosmith w/o him!

Posted by #1AerosmithFan November 9, 09 02:01 PM
  1. Aerosmith is not Aerosmith without Steven Tyler. Enough said.

Posted by Mark November 9, 09 02:15 PM
  1. Individually, you're all talented guys, but together, you're AREOSMITH!
    Thanks for 40 years! :)

Posted by goodoledays November 9, 09 02:18 PM
  1. If Steven Tyler has left Aerosmith, then he should make it clear to his former bandmates as well as to his fans. I don't think leaving everyone in limbo does anyone any good.

Posted by Dude1966 November 9, 09 02:20 PM
  1. PUT YOU TO SLEEP IN CONCERT...LET THEM SLIDE INTO THE DEEP

Posted by GARY FRANKS November 9, 09 02:21 PM
  1. I agree with Tim....Who cares?

Posted by mycroft November 9, 09 02:21 PM
  1. He wants to do more duets and ballads?

Posted by mike November 9, 09 02:23 PM
  1. I have always admired the talent of Steven Tyler and Aerosmith. As does all good things though, they come to an end. Steve is not 78 but closer to mid 60s and it cannot be easy to continue to perform at the high caliber that he has for much longer. It is a shame that animosities would tear apart one of the best rock bands of the 70s and 80s.

Posted by Curtis Hammond November 9, 09 02:24 PM
  1. Maybe they can change the name of the band to the Joe Perry Project. I like that! It's kind of catchy.

Posted by Toys_in_the_Attic November 9, 09 02:24 PM
  1. That's the least-interesting news I've ever heard. I honestly thought they broke up about 10 years ago.

Posted by Al November 9, 09 02:25 PM
  1. Queen knew enough to disband when Freddie Mercury died. The Grateful Dead knew enough to break up after Jerry Garcia died. Aerosmith????

Posted by Edward4000 November 9, 09 02:30 PM
  1. LMAO...I am with Tim too...enough is enough. Their light went out a long time ago.

Posted by trock November 9, 09 02:31 PM
  1. Here's a clue to the mystery. Steven Tyler will be eligible for Social Security benefits in March.

Posted by marzxyz November 9, 09 02:31 PM
  1. Agreed with a few others that have posted............Aerosmith should have hung it up a looooooooooooooooonnnnng time ago.

Posted by Mark November 9, 09 02:35 PM
  1. Steven Tyler IS Aerosmith. When I saw them, it was one of the best, if not the best show I have ever experienced and I've been to a LOT of shows of all kinds. I will be always listen to anything Steven Tyler and the other members of Aerosmith do, they are all very talented, it just won't be the same. But things change and people change.

Posted by Pati November 9, 09 02:36 PM
  1. Aerosmith stopped doing anything interesting and potent after about its fifth (I think) album, Rocks. Many listeners are younger and probably don't know the earlier material, but Steven Tyler's voice has been pretty much blown out for the last 25 years or so. Once upon a time it was all attitude. Now it's all well, . . . done with mirrors. Too bad, can't get me none-a-that.

Posted by 998 Suzuki November 9, 09 02:36 PM
  1. AREOSMITH does NOT exist without Steven Tyler.

So what if they are no longer a band. We have albums and recordings.

He should make a formal announcement and move on.

Age should not matter. Nothing wrong with performing until the end.

Muddy Waters did!!!

Posted by Deadphish November 9, 09 02:43 PM
  1. Aerosmith has an incredible catalog of music but the reality is most of the recent stuff was pretty lame. IMO their comeback album "Done with Mirrors" was the last good Aerosmith recording and that was 20 + years ago. Hang it up boys, nothing lasts forever.

Posted by Joey K November 9, 09 02:43 PM
  1. A great job opportunity for Adam Lambert!

Sorry, Steven, but you could have at least told your bandmates of 40 years. Don't you owe them that?

Joe, I know you and the rest of the guys will rock on.

Posted by cosmogirl November 9, 09 02:45 PM
  1. Aerosmith with Tyler is the same as Van Halen without David Lee Roth... And will probably be just about as successful.

Posted by OldMenShouldRetire November 9, 09 02:46 PM
  1. I agree; who cares? The 60's something rockers coming back to puff up their retirement coffers with songs that haven't rung true for 10, 20, 30 years? They continue to crowd out the young generation of bands who deserve their shot at the big stage. Just think of the hypocracy of this, The Who continuing to tour into THEIR sixties singing "My Generation", with "...hope I die before I get old". Go home, boring........................!!! Flatulence rock

Posted by John Oxley November 9, 09 02:48 PM
  1. Hey I kinda like the Adam Lambert idea! His vocals are about the closest to Steven Tyler's I've ever heard, although I would/will hate to see Aerosmith without Steven at the mic. As far as all you that don't care, here's a thought .. don't buy their music and don't go to their concerts. I LOVE the band and have since I first heard them in elementary school. They are definitely rock legends.

Posted by Tylerfan November 9, 09 03:00 PM
  1. All the post of negativity toward Tyler and Aerosmith in general are from 20 somethings I am sure. You can't be above the age of 30 and not have some respect for the man or the band. They have been a huge part of American Rock Music and noone can take that from them. So to all you haters, Keep hating and we will see how many of your bands are still even bands in 40 years.

Posted by BostonGirl November 9, 09 03:02 PM
  1. Grace Slick said it best when she said that rock and rollers look silly on a stage after the age of 50. Look at the picture at the top of this article - a bunch of old men who were just prepped by a buch of stylists. They look like my Dad and his friends at a Halloween party.

Posted by ATeam3 November 9, 09 03:02 PM
  1. AEROSMITH without Steven Tyler is like the day without the sun or the evening without the moon. Just doesn't happen. No Steven Tyler, then NO AEROSMITH. Its just a SIN. Though I do agree Steven should have the respect to let his bandmates know what is going on.

Posted by Kristie November 9, 09 03:03 PM

Posted by Kristie November 9, 09 03:03 PM
  1. There is a time for begining and time for an end. Rock & Roll is young man's game. Perhaps these guys should focus on creating music behind the scene for others.

Posted by avchamp November 9, 09 03:04 PM
  1. I never really cared about "Aerosmith", even when they supposedly were hot. Steve Tyler I never thought was that great at all, and not orginal either.
    All he did was copy cat my man Mick Jagger.......

Posted by oldrocker November 9, 09 03:06 PM
  1. What they need is a Jonathan Cain or somebody to fill out their repetoire with, I dunno. music or something like it.

Instead of Tyler screeching over a rhythm section that goes "Thump.....CRASH.....Thump.....CRASH.....Thump.....CRASH.....Thump.....CRASH.....Thump.....CRASH.....Thump.....CRASH.....Thump.....CRASH...--album after album, year after year.

Posted by mike November 9, 09 03:06 PM
  1. um...who cares? joe and steve need couples counseling....

Posted by factsNOTfiction November 9, 09 03:09 PM
  1. Saw them recently. I was skeptical, but they ROCKED!!!

Posted by MT November 9, 09 03:09 PM
  1. Steven Victor Tallarico is going to do whatever he wants. Always has.

Posted by Stu November 9, 09 03:10 PM
  1. Oh PALLLLLLLLLLLLLLeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaase say it ain't so!!!!!

I love Aerosmith just like they are.

Posted by Shirley November 9, 09 03:12 PM
  1. They make a horrible case for sobriety. They were ten times better when they were stoned all the time in the 70's. Joe Perry can still play and should get together an all star band ala Chickenfoot and rock out like he used to.

Posted by sloejoe November 9, 09 03:18 PM
  1. I did not know he was still alive.....

Posted by Mark November 9, 09 03:24 PM
  1. Aerosmith peaked in the 70s and their music was great. It was an honor to see them continue to play through the 80s and 90s. Him quitting now is the same story as GM axing Pontiac. It's tough for bands to let go of the glory past.

Posted by boston234 November 9, 09 03:25 PM
  1. I agree with Tim. Who cares, their songs form the last 25 years are awful.

Posted by DK November 9, 09 03:25 PM
  1. Last great album they made?

Rocks 1976

Posted by karl November 9, 09 03:26 PM
  1. Van Halen sold more albums with Sammy Hagar

Posted by The Shoe November 9, 09 03:28 PM
  1. I have loved Aerosmith for years,and I believe they deserve some respect from all of you who are downing them. I noticed no one has said anything about Ozzy still playing. Age should not matter as long as they can still produce. I will admit Aerosmith needs something great so they can compete, and if not, there is nothing wrong with doing shows periodically of all their classics. No one makes you go to their concerts if you dont like them. I, personally listen to all types of music and enjoy them all. Try it sometime! OH, they must have done something right for along time, or this would not be such a big deal!

Posted by Misty November 9, 09 03:29 PM
  1. Van Halen had more success with Hagar than they ever could have had with Roth.. as for Aerosmith? They'll be back...
    take a break guys.. focus on the songwriting.. Rocks was like a Sargent Peppers in it time.. It changed the game... I am waiting for at least one last great curtain call of an album from you guys.
    I believe you can do it.. in analog.. with real instruments.. no samples.. no pro-tools.. don't compress and limit it into oblivion to the point that it hurts our ears in mastering.... Rock on!!

Posted by Randall November 9, 09 03:32 PM
  1. I hope you guys that say they should of hung it up years ago remember that same notion when you are old and trying to continue your lifes dream. These guys have been influencing the last three decades of rockers. If you don't like them then change the channel. Out side of that we don't want to hear your fodder. Dream on brothers and thanks for the memories.

Posted by David November 9, 09 03:33 PM
  1. It is not areosmith, without steven tyler. But thanks for all the great concerts,and good luck to you steven in whatever you decide to do.Follow your heart!!!

Posted by Robin November 9, 09 03:34 PM
  1. Aerosmith has, over the thirty plus years of their existence, made many contributions to the musical world that will remembered by our great, great children. Without Tyler, though, it really won't be Aerosmith and, as such, it's time for Perry and the remaining crew to either go their seperate ways or reform under a different alias. The suggestion by Toys_in_the_Attic of renaming such a reformed group as the Joe Perry Project is a great idea.

To be honest about it, I have to agree with the above posters who have suggested that Aerosmith should have disbanded some time ago. As it is now it's almost like they're going out with a whimper rather than a scream.

I hope the above comments aren't offensive to the die-hard fans as they're not meant to be. It's just that it's best for artists to go out on top with self-respect and dignity rather than fueding and failings like this. Aerosmith, you've made your mark and we love ya, you'll never be forgotten.

Posted by Chuck From Reading November 9, 09 03:38 PM
  1. Aerosmith has not put out a decent album since Permanent vacation and that was over 20 years ago. Plus were always overrated. Let him leave because he looks like a little old lady anyway.

Posted by YouCanEatCake November 9, 09 03:40 PM
  1. Everything ends sometime. I hope they end with dignety not like VH whose last singer was a flamingo dancer.

Posted by gman November 9, 09 03:40 PM
  1. Tyler has never been anything more than MJ-lite: entertaining enough but not the real thing, not by a long shot. There's no reason why the band can't find another.

Of all these seventies rock icon guys, Robert Plant has probably had the most respectable post-supergroup career. He continues to grow as an artist, trying out new stuff, returning to roots. Yeah, it's real cool when he gets together with Jimmy Page occasionally, but I'm glad they've never done a full-blown reunion. The smartest thing about Zeppelin was that they knew when to call it a day -- sorta like the Beatles in that regard.

Posted by PaulQ November 9, 09 03:42 PM
  1. Edward4000 ---
    You live in Edward4000 land.
    Queen is touring with a replacement for Freddy.
    The Dead are still touring successfully - and making amazing music - without Jerry.

They could have a great few tours without Tyler.

Posted by RJP3 November 9, 09 03:42 PM
  1. Aerosmith, you can't quit now, you just got started, you are still young and strong, your bodies, minds and your hearing are still sharp, your best work lies ahead. Can't you all visit the psychiatrist Metallica saw in Some Kind Of Monster and just get along to keep collecting those big concern paychecks and prevent the tragedy of millions have to live in an Aerosmith-free world?

Posted by mrx November 9, 09 03:45 PM
  1. Correct! He put his diaper on and retired...

Posted by John D November 9, 09 03:52 PM
  1. They should hire Adam Lambert

Posted by Rob November 9, 09 03:56 PM
  1. All things come to an end. At sixty years looking like you lived 80 due to hard living, its time to pack it in.

Hope I die before I get old!

Posted by sk88ts November 9, 09 03:59 PM
  1. To oldrocker.... Stephen Tyler copied Mick Jagger? puhleeeeeese. Jagger cant ever HOPE to hit Tylers vocals. Pop in "what it takes" or "Merry go round" and you will see the difference. That having been said, both bands are old, and should just quit. You did your thing, now you just look silly. retire

Posted by davedsone November 9, 09 04:01 PM
  1. Yeah, they were once great. And I was once smokin hot...or so I think I remember, give it up dudes......its all been down hill since and including "Love in an Elevator"

Posted by Mary from Orlando November 9, 09 04:02 PM
  1. who cares....Steve looks like a freak and the band is no longer relevent.

Posted by paul November 9, 09 04:05 PM

1. who is Aerosmith?

Posted by Sal November 9, 09 04:06 PM
  1. Appearantly our nation's youth is uncapable of realizing the impact many of us experiance while viewing the end of an era, but when their favorite bands eventually grow old and disappear they'll be singing a different tune.

Posted by Carl November 9, 09 04:07 PM
  1. Their last good album was PUMP. They have been putting out garbage since then. Same thing happened with Robert Plant he cant sing well anymore, neither can Mick Jagger, or Rodger Daultry, and even I hate to admit it Paul McCartney.

The time when they were at the peak of their singing ability they wasted it with band bickering, egos, drug use, etc. They should have used their abilities before it went away with age.

Posted by Tony November 9, 09 04:08 PM
  1. NO!!!!!!!!!!! Steve don't go. Aerosmith won't be Aerosmith without Steve!

Posted by Meme November 9, 09 04:15 PM
  1. AEROSMITH is one of the great rock bands, it's a real shame if they really are breaking up...
    They are and always have been 1 of my favorites..especially in concert.
    I agree they won't be the same without Steven..
    I'm gonna miss them dearly, the cRap that's out now that people are calling rock sucks...it's NOT rock-n-roll...

(for all the haters out there saying they should have hung it up long ago, it's nice to know you all had nothing to do with the music business... because you obviously know nothing about REAL musicians and their music)

Posted by Wing November 9, 09 04:16 PM
  1. I'm a Van Halen fan , been so from the beginning . Drama sucks .

Hope Aerosmith can work it out . I also hope Van Halen releases some material . Please . I was amazed by Journey's new lead singer . Seriously good , we'll see if he can do anything original .

Posted by Ignignokt November 9, 09 04:18 PM
  1. Aerosmith is a FIVE man band! Tyler's voice has been an big part of Aerosmith's sound, but it's not like the band will fold if he doesn't want to sing! Can you say "Journey" "Van Halen" "Deep Purple" "Genesis"? All (and other bands too) proved one guy don't make a band! This crap about a band can't make it without "so and so" is just that! CRAP! It's a BAND! Now, could the Joe Perry Project go on with out Joe Perry? I'm gonna say probably NOT! Ease up peeps! I know! It's only rock and roll, but I like it!

Posted by Gregg Rivers November 9, 09 04:18 PM
  1. AEROSMITH is one of the greatest rock bands of all time period. Their concerts were legendary. I saw them in 1975 and then again in 2006, and they still kicked a__! For all you loser haters....damm you're dumb. All good things must come to an end, but they are legends.

Posted by Ronnie November 9, 09 04:20 PM
  1. Whats Aerosmith ?

Posted by Yawn November 9, 09 04:24 PM
  1. Maybe it's just a PR stunt to promote "Dream On: An Intimate Evening With Steven Tyler," and I must object, Aerosmith is still relevant and still kicks butt. Name a newbie band from the last 10 years that can match Aerosmith's act and you have me.

Posted by George November 9, 09 04:24 PM
  1. This just in: No One Cares.

Posted by conlawprof November 9, 09 04:29 PM
  1. Heh. Lot of people here posting about something they don't care about. Interesting. To the random hating...way to acknowledge one of Boston's all-time greatest bands. Most people typically forget that they actually do like a few songs by an artist they think they dislike. Too common. Sheesh.

Aerosmith in their heyday were great for about 20 years from 73 to 93ish and their subsequent touring during that time until the mid-late 90s. To the person who mentioned about these 60s rockers...Aerosmith didn't get going until 73, and if you heard the stuff they came out with at the time AT THAT TIME you would be a lot more humble. They have a great sound that will stand the test of time, and, I'm sorry to the haters but there's a very good reason why they will go down as one of rock and roll's greatest.

With that being said, Get a Grip in 93 would have been the ultimate swan song, but much like the Stones, there is no hanging the gig up. And while the Stones still have a few decent shows left in them (hard to believe), Aerosmith unfortunately has pushed their luck and the time is up. They should have one last tour/short series of shows...LA, Chicago, New York, and of course Boston to cap it off. Done. Hang it up. Go their separate ways but enough of this wasting of the ticket buyers time.

Posted by Evan November 9, 09 04:33 PM
  1. Lord, NO, they should not get Adam Lambert....Adam Lambert should just go away already.

Posted by enough November 9, 09 04:35 PM
  1. The real problem with the younger "music" fans of today is that their music will never last, so they never will have the comparison of great music being timeless and yet again continuing to evolve over time. They don't know it now, and they never will.

Give me the name of ONE current mucic act who has the capacity to have staying power over 3-4 decades?

Posted by Rachel Simms November 9, 09 04:36 PM
  1. Wow, somebody's been drinking some HaterAide...
    I have every album, been to most of their Oklahoma concerts and glad I got to do that. Aerosmith Rocks!!!

Posted by Hale57 November 9, 09 04:41 PM
  1. Hey BostonGirl, I take offense to that! I'm 25 and I LOVE Aerosmith!!! I've seen them many times in concert. I'm sure all these negative comments aren't just from my generation.

And Aerosmith will not be the same without Steven Tyler.

Posted by Kerri November 9, 09 04:46 PM
  1. I've read all the comments and I aggree AND disagree to many of them:

Tyler is much better than Jagger (and sounds nothing like him, thank God).
    Aerosmith still made good albums in the mid-late 80's.
    They ARE very old, but still very talented and RnR is all they know, it's in their blood, stay in the studios if anything.
    The first 4 Aerosmith Albums were still their best, each progessively getting better and heavier right up to their masterpiece 'Rocks' which not only is their greatest album, but IMHO, it's in the top 3 of the greatest 'hard rock' albums of all time, period.

Either way, their music lives on.....

Posted by TPRoddy November 9, 09 04:48 PM
  1. Who cares? These 70 somehtings should be rocking...in chairs....

Posted by derek November 9, 09 04:48 PM
  1. Too bad about it all.Although Joe Perry walked away a long time ago.
    Im thinking that maybe as a hole the band should just retire anyway.They've had a great run.Wrote some great songs.And did some stuff I wouldnt dare try.And they worked hard.So after 30plus years maybe it is time to retire the Aerosmith legacy.Hold there heads up high and be proud of what they accomplished musically.If they dont get along anymore then they should call it quits.Too bad.

Posted by Sam Douglas November 9, 09 05:03 PM
  1. Some of the best concerts I have ever seen live were Aerosmith concerts. I don't think they should hang up their mics just yet this new development could surprise everyone with some kick a$$ tunes down the line.

Posted by Aerosmith Optimist November 9, 09 05:14 PM
  1. If they kept playing they would be doing shows with the rolling bones in wheelchairs singing street fighting man. I think it could qualify for Americas funniest video 80 yr old men in wheelchairs, in glitter. Steve just go collect your social security check, at 72 you get the max.

Posted by paul November 9, 09 05:21 PM
  1. Rename it Joe Perry Project? Wonder how the other guys in the band would feel about that - especially since Joe Perry has been producing music under that pseudonym since his brief departure from Aerosmith back in the 70s.

Posted by jules November 9, 09 05:29 PM
  1. All things must pass......

Posted by Nancee November 9, 09 05:31 PM
  1. Regarding Van Halen - They did have some top 40 hits with with Sammy but the Roth years outsold Van Hagar by a margin of 2 to 1. Look it up at RIAA or just google. The Roth years are much more respected and influential. Ask any artist or read a music critics review. The Roth songs are still played on the radio but the Van Hagar songs aren't because they don't test well anymore. The Roth years stood the test of time - just look a recent events. The reunion tour with Sammy made 40+ million and the reunion tour with Roth made 90+ million. It ain't Van Halen without DLR!

Posted by Harrison November 9, 09 05:44 PM
  1. I have seen Aerosmith 4 or 5 times now. All except one was excellent. Sorry but DONE WITH MIRRORS was HORRIBLE! Worst freaking show I have ever seen they were fighting on stage it sucked! But Malmstein and YnT I think it was rocked. I agree with who ever said Aerosmith without Tyler is like Van Halen without David Lee. I also agree with Evan about they should of walked away after Get a Grip that was there last decent album. He at least owes it to the fans and the rest of Aerosmith to let us know what the hell is going on. Unless this is a marketing ploy for something bigger like "Dream On: An Intimate Evening With Steven Tyler," keep everyone in suspense till then and try to sell as many tickets.

Posted by Tazfanatic November 9, 09 05:47 PM
  1. Call it a career. You can't imprive on what they've done. Name 1 band that has replaced their lead singer or front man and improved! Not happening. What they've accomplished cannot be duplicated or bettered. Bands don't stay together that long any more. Get real and just move on. Aerosmith will live forever.

Posted by Dan November 9, 09 05:50 PM
  1. As Peter Griffin from Family Guy would say...."Oh my God, who the Hell Cares"?!?!

Posted by sd1959 November 9, 09 05:50 PM
  1. As a long time fan of Aerosmith I think it would be sad for the band to end this way. They started out as five young, creative and talented guys who struck gold. Over the years there have been bumps and valleys, but they always hung in there through addiction, alcoholism and other personal conflcts and issues. Just the fact that they have stayed together for so long shows a sense of dedication and pride in their work. They certainly have had a career that not many other bands (if any, except maybe the Rolling Stones) have had that kind of durability. I would love to see Aerosmith stay together, but if that's not meant to be I will remain a fan with lots of fond memories of the band through the years.

Posted by Karen L November 9, 09 05:52 PM
  1. They tried this in the 80's. Steve Tyler didn't do anything and Joe Perry embarrassed himself with the Joe Perry project! They need to realize that they need each other. Maybe they both need to hang up their egos and work together or not at all. They are one of the best banks I've seen in concert. And to all the others out there that keep talking about his age----haven't they heard of Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen and so many others that I would run out of room. They should get a llife!

Posted by Andrea November 9, 09 05:53 PM
  1. They have had a hugelysuccessful run-back time and again...but yes, things do eventually come to an end. I'm glad I had the opportunity to LOVE them all these years...they only got BETTER over time...

I'm sure there'll be occasional reunions of the forces; quick special appearances by mix/match members of the band...but my guess is it's over. I will miss them tremendously...thanks for the music.

Posted by Bud Fleisher November 9, 09 05:57 PM
  1. OMG... WTF.. these peeps are nuts... Joe and the rest of the band should rock on if they want... y'all are fantastic... don't listen to any one... this is one of my all time favorite bands.. Steven should do what ever makes him happy too.. although the way he's treating his partners of 40+ yrs is dispicable... all I can say is Foo Fighters, Chickenfoot... each of you have talent and success that every young artist should aspire to.. maybe they can learn not to get big heads like david lee roth and others..and celebrate and respect the fantastic god given talent. i'd pay to see joe perry play solo

Posted by wacko in az November 9, 09 06:03 PM
  1. Aerosmith should remain the talented band they are keep rockin and rollin no matter how old they are age is just a number the state of mind is what matters theyve rocked my world for 30 years ON WITH THE TOUR BOYS!

Posted by Denise LaTour........st pete florida November 9, 09 06:05 PM
  1. It's not Aerosmith w/o Steven Tyler, no matter what Joe Perry says.

Posted by JeanyB November 9, 09 06:12 PM
  1. I just saw Aerosmith in Maui last month, and although Steven's voice showed signs of age, he and the band put on a great rock and roll show. Perry rocked hard too. They were worth the money and the wait, and I would go see them again and try to get the best seats in the house next time. Aerosmith still rocks, but that is because of the combination of musicians. With out Tyler, it just isn't Aerosmith. I hope they keep rockin together.

Posted by ET November 9, 09 06:21 PM
  1. Aerosmith without Steven Tyler=Van Halen without David Lee Roth.....Nada,Zilch, Zippo!!!!

Posted by Dadofkmm November 9, 09 06:22 PM
  1. I'll jam till I'm 100 all you jealous haters that can't play a lick of music!
    P.O.

Posted by 100 yr old headbanger November 9, 09 06:34 PM
  1. For all the detractors, if you've been to a show, you know the band still plays great live, and they've made some good records (Get a Grip...Honkin on Bobo... I agree on getting rid of the pro tools and compressors.

But sounds like it might be moot. They've been put back together by managers and shrinks multiple times...the question is will anyone do it this time?

Posted by LetsbReal November 9, 09 06:40 PM
  1. I would pay for them to stop. In fact, I would pay to go back in time and have them stop in 1994.

Posted by Aerosmith=Overrated November 9, 09 06:45 PM
  1. I'm not against older guys continuing to perform, but only if they're still performing and writing viable material, ala Neil Young. Aerosmith hasn't written their own material in about 10 or 15 years. Once they became the soundtrack darlings of hollywood with their alicia silverstone videos, they spiraled downhill. They are a mere shell of what they once were. Long gone are the hardcore rockers of the 70s. And for Tyler to be reinventing himself as a solo artist at the age of 60 something is just ludicrous. No one cares what artistic statement you have to make Steve. I think it's time to put this baby to bed!

Posted by Nicky Vegas November 9, 09 06:48 PM
  1. ...where's the Dipravan when you need it!!!....Oh, the intimate evening...WHO GIVES A F--K!!!!!!!

Posted by Jerry Vale November 9, 09 07:02 PM
  1. So, this discussion has kinda become the Old Guard (me and others over 50) against the Young 'Uns (not me). Aerosmith could rock the socks off ANY new band from the last 10 years, it gets my goat to hear the younger fans argue that, just because you're gettin' up there in age, that somehow the music and the performance now stinks and is not up-to-snuff. Gimme a break. Us oldsters could rock you youngsters into a hole and bury you. Name a band, Aerosmith, The Stones, KISS, Bob Dylan, The Who ALL could kick any young bands a** any night of the year, musically, socially, and attitude-wise.

Posted by George November 9, 09 07:03 PM
  1. what I want to know is why Joe Perry parks his tour bus in clear view of 3A, despite the fences. It's like, which one is Joe Perry's house? Oh wait, there it is, the house with the giant bus that says "Joe Perry" out front.

Posted by JoeDirtz November 9, 09 07:06 PM
  1. Aerosmith should just retire. I love the band but it's a long way from 1975. Steven is 61. Grandpa rock doesn't get anyone excited. Same for the Stones. Go play with your grandbabies! I'm enjoying mine.

M.

Posted by Mike R. November 9, 09 07:29 PM
  1. well, i was there at Kent street in the good old days. shoplifting at L'il Peach, sittin' on the stoop and goofin' off for days on end. In the early days it WAS all about the attitude, they were tough! after the first split, Joe showed everyone where the real talent was! Let the music do the talking is still on of the best Boston "local" band albums ever. Ahead of anything the Lines,stompers,delfuegos,axminster or fools ever came out with. Good luck to you all, thanks for the memories!! And JP, I still remember the licks you taught me all those years ago!! you're a good guy.

Posted by the little nipper November 9, 09 07:34 PM
  1. I JUST HAVE TO WONDER IF ( BRAND TYLER ) WILL HAVE LOTS OF PICTURES OF HIM LOOKING LIKE SOME SKINNY BIRD LIKE GRANNIE IN BOOZE STORES .........HE'S BEEN SOOOO OVER FOR SO LONG some should give him a clue met him a couple of times it's just AMAZING soo much ego fits in that tiny body

Posted by mr wonderfull November 9, 09 07:36 PM
  1. To all those young people commenting on Steven Tyler. It's not just about his singing. Please look at some of your Aerosmith albums. Look at the songwriting credits. He has never been the best "quality" vocalist out there, but is a very talented songwriter. Have seen the band live. Very good live show. The Stones are an excellent studio band, but suck live. Everything is give and take. Some are good at some things, and not at others. Enjoy the music for its own sake. The late Mr. Jackson had a lot of ups and downs in his personal life, but I respect his talent, even though don't care for his music myself.

Posted by Dr. Bass November 9, 09 07:45 PM
  1. Quick heads up to Joe and the rest of the guys,please don't even think about going with Adam Lambert.It's hard to hear the vocals if the lead singer likes to sing with the mic resting in the back of his throat.

Posted by glenzo November 9, 09 07:45 PM
  1. Wow, this could really be the end of an era . . .
    I've been an Aerosmith fan since I was not quite a teenager and they were the first band I was heavily into. Have owned just about every album they've turned out, and seen them 4 times live. It's too bad to hear so many people with nothing positive to say about them who probably really know nothing about the band.
    Aerosmith is a legendary rock group, and like other legends, wouldn't be the same if you replaced any of the key members. I don't think there is another band out there that has spent as many years in the mainstream and had those founding members there for as long as Aerosmith has. That by itself is a standout example of their place in music. They have influenced just as many bands as other famous groups such as the Stones, Zeppelin, Queen, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Kiss, etc., and were probably the first genuine American "rock 'n roll super-group" (I could be wrong, but I can't think of anyone else that was as big as them until afterward.) A lot of musicians have listed Rocks especially as an album that heavily influenced them. They have been (unfairly IMO) called a Rolling Stones copy band due to Steve Tyler's large mouth and lips for a long time, but the difference between the two bands is pretty obvious to anyone who looks past the outward appearance. Every time I saw them perform live, they totally rocked the house, each of these concerts being after they got cleaned up from heavy drug and alcohol use.
    That said, I have to agree with a lot of what Evan said above; Get a Grip was their last GREAT album. They have had a few great songs here and there over the last 15 years, but the rest of the album would be mediocre at best. Honkin' on Bobo was a great all-around recording, but it was all remakes without original material, even though that was really good. Gene Simmons once said that "When you are living off your past instead of living up to your past, that is when it's time to hang it up," (take your own advice Gene, the Reunion tour should've been the swan song for Kiss, and only then because it would have given closure for fans who wanted to see the original lineup). Aerosmith still rocked the last time I saw them in December of '05, playing some songs I didn't expect like Seasons of Wither, Kings and Queens, and Lord of the Thighs, with Joe even taking the lead vocals for a song, but the new stuff just hasn't held up. Furthermore, I think Steven should absolutely have filled in the band on exactly what's happening and what he's going to do . . . after nearly 40 years, that's the least he owes them. If he IS all done, they should wrap it up; after all, he is a big part of the identity of the band, and these guys have been at it so long that it's way to late to put another face up front, or anywhere else in the lineup. I absolutely refused to see Queen with Paul Rogers up front, even though I never got to see them with Freddy that was the only way I could have ever seen them. Regardless, it's a sad day for rock and roll if these guys really are done, even though it is beyond the time they should have wrapped it up. Long live Aerosmith!!!

Posted by Keith in Millbury November 9, 09 07:46 PM
  1. i:ve always loved aerosmith exspecially steven tyler, the band put out some of the best music saying they should have giving up 20 yrs ago what about the stones. whats wrong with you people have we really lost the true meaning of music. im finally going to cut my frist demo and i hear this he must have a reason lets respect him we will always love and cherish them and steven tyler god bless you ,stay safe and keep the faith love yours truly charlene

Posted by charlene mcgowan November 9, 09 07:56 PM
  1. So does this mean Steve Tyler will go back to being Steven Talarico??

Joe Perry makes the music,

and Im a 60 something not a 20 something

Posted by BW November 9, 09 08:08 PM
  1. rock an roll Has many parts AND AEROSMITH WAS ONE OF THE GREAT!!!!! parts....

Posted by KEN SOUTH DAKOTA November 9, 09 08:18 PM
  1. Aerosmith has always been my favorite band .. I agree without Steven Tyler Aerosmith is over and all we have is just the music to remember them by... I do not support the band if they replace Steven Tyler

Posted by Nate November 9, 09 08:34 PM
  1. What kind of a person fails to tell his bandmates of 40 years that he's leaving??? That's longer than most marriages last and he walks away w/out having a conversation? I always thought Aerosmith and Steven Tyler were so cool. I had just tons of respect for them as artists...guess the boys of the band weren't the only ones who were hoodwinked. Steven Tyler showed a COMPLETE lack of respect for his band and his fans.
    To the rest of the band: I hope you continue on as long as you want to. You all ROCK.

Posted by obamamomma November 9, 09 08:35 PM
  1. Enjoying all the hoopla and concern about the Aero organization. As if they were going through an organ transplant and the close nit "fan-ily" has come together to see this thru, while other passers-by (who choose to commemt) care less and wish them dead. How many bands can you list that have stayed together and performed for this many years? I'm sure there is success at both ends of the spectrum!

Posted by WR-Emoz-AZ November 9, 09 08:46 PM
  1. Tyler quit the band after an ultimatum: "If I have to sing "Train kept A'Rollin" one more time, I'm goign to quit the band" and he did.

Oh wait. That was what Joe Perry said, and did, back in the 80's.

Posted by Padraig November 9, 09 08:51 PM
  1. Chill...people. If he actually is leaving the band...there is A LOT of paperwork to get in order first...so certainly it would take a while before he announced anything publicly. Just like when yo leave any job...you write your resignation first and take care of any legal attachments...THEN you quit.

Posted by ME November 9, 09 08:58 PM
  1. put adam lambert on the mic.

Posted by leroy November 9, 09 09:02 PM
  1. Steven Tyler and the band can still rock the stage. After seeing them this past June, it was the best concert I've ever attended.
    There cannot be an Aerosmith without Steven. It will not work. Steven Tyler is Aerosmith. He still rocks at 61!!!

Posted by Sheila November 9, 09 09:10 PM
  1. Time to dig up good ole Axl Rose. Van Halen did it with Sammy, and Journey recently signed on a new voice over for Steve Perry. It could work, then Joe can stop the snivelling over Steven Tyler and the millions he could loose without a notable frontman.

Posted by Birdie November 9, 09 09:11 PM
  1. Steven Tyler, you are just not that great. Don't be an ass and think you are going to be a superstar on your own.

Posted by Elizabeth November 9, 09 09:26 PM
  1. Has anyone ever thought that after 30 plus years of making everyone else happy and supplying fond memories (except Worcester) it was time for Steve to give himself a chance to relax? Aerosmith will always be the staplefood of many generations and I wish them all well.

Posted by bostonbred November 9, 09 09:32 PM
  1. Does Steven Tyler do anything other than sing? Can he play any kind of musical instrument? I have never seen it. I know he writes but you still need a band to play the songs you write so there is no such thing as solo; he needs backup.

Posted by Suze November 9, 09 09:33 PM
  1. I recently saw The Joe Perry Project in a small club here in RI and the singer Hagen was great. Vocally He could replace Tyler in a heartbeat. I wish the best to all of them. Too bad they have to end it with bad blood. I'll be seeing JPP in boston this sat night and I'm sure most fans won't be thinking of ST.

Posted by Mike November 9, 09 09:55 PM
  1. It's time for the band to move on. They are old and out of steam. Please take the Stones, The Who, and U2 with you. Just go away.

Posted by pauljmc November 9, 09 10:07 PM
  1. Love classic Aerosmith.... and yes Adam Lambert could fill in for both Tyler, as well as Freddie Mercury. But why? He has his own path to forge. I am hoping his new release is all that I hope it can be. I wouldn't want to be in my 20's as a lead singer in my grandpa's band.

Posted by SMM November 9, 09 10:41 PM
  1. Aerosmith still rocks! Age doesn't really matter, we saw BB King at age 80+ and he still belts out the blues, he has to sit down to do it, but still puts on a good show. Once a fan, always a fan. I've enjoyed ALL the albums, cd's Aerosmith has made. Our daughter was starting to go country, and one Aerosmith concert - she converted, Thank God! That was a close one! Steven Tyler is awesome, and so is the rest of the band. Hopefully they'll work it out and keep the music coming!

Posted by Rhonna & Wade November 9, 09 11:18 PM
  1. I don't think they should try to carry on without him, that's insane!
    it'd be like the who trying to hang on after keith moons' death, they were never the same, why not just bow out gracefully and leave the legacy and dignity in tact.

Posted by Herald November 9, 09 11:28 PM
  1. No kidding? I remember listening to that band back in the 70s. My buddy had a couple of their 8 tracks. They're breaking up?

Liv's a babe though. Too bad she never read Tolkien.

Posted by tcq November 9, 09 11:52 PM
  1. I love Steven Tyler he's absolutely amazing! I had tickets to see him in L.A. in August 2009, but the show was cancelled due to his fall in S. Dakota. I'm still very bummed but glad he's ok. I had a feeling that would probably be the last time he would be on tour.... Well now I'll never see him again. I'm truly dissapointed! I don't care how old or how bad his voice sounds. He's still awsome to look at!

Posted by Klippy November 10, 09 12:12 AM
  1. aerosmith with out tyler would be like van halen with out roth

Posted by mike November 10, 09 12:21 AM
  1. i would be pissed too if my friend for 40 yrs said he was mad at a accident that happened in south dakota everyone has a accident like joe had to have surgery on his knee for falling off stage aerosmith is not aerosmith or will be the same without steven no 1 can replace or even come close to him so don't even try aerosmith is steven,joe brad tom@joey i do agree though steven needs to let everyone know fans @ bandmembers too he needs to get aay from erin i didn't like the idea that he had fired the managers an he had his own maybe they are giving him some bad advice

Posted by #1 aerofan November 10, 09 02:23 AM
  1. i cant believe somebody had the nads to bag on the who. and aerosmith is legend. go listen to your uberstank albums and honestly tell me that crap is gonna last as long as aerosmith.

Posted by krusty November 10, 09 02:40 AM
  1. Most. Overrated Band. EVER.

Posted by db November 10, 09 05:44 AM
  1. Aerosmith is not Aerosmith without Steven and Joe together. Anyone who has followed their career since THE BEGINNING, as I have, knows that! Their first break-up speaks for itself! If it's time to disban, for whatever personal or professional reasons they may have, I can respect that. If they want to try solo careers, I can respect that. But to continue on as 'Aerosmith' without ALL of the members of the band? I don't support that! I would purchase CDs as solo artists, but to listen to or see live 'Aerosmith' without all of the Bad Boys together? Never! I wish them all the best if they decide to go solo, but hope they work things out together.

Posted by Devoted Fan in Maryland November 10, 09 07:48 AM
  1. Gutted ;-( It was my life long dream to visit the USA just to see Aerosmith as they don't seem to like coming to the UK. Guess I could use my saving on over-priced Bon Jovi tickets instead!
    I wish him well, just love him (I kinda like older guys)
    The band could always sign up the lead singer from Toxic Twins - our Aerosmith tribute band. Believe it or not that guy actually LOOKS just like Steve, now who's have thought THAT possible????

Posted by Pezza69 November 10, 09 07:53 AM
  1. Dude looks like a lady...

Posted by djjohanf November 10, 09 09:27 AM
  1. I know I'm in the minority but I thought Van Halen's music with Hagar was far superior to anything they produced with Roth. Maybe Aerosmith can find some of the same success without big lips.

Posted by taa22 November 10, 09 10:15 AM
  1. How can steve tyler even think of leaving aerosmith? Joe perry tried that and it didn't work out too good. Aerosmith is not washed up, to all those people saying so. If you don't care, then why did you take the time to write the comments? I think he will end up joining back in 5 or 6 years, if he even leaves.

Posted by just_push_play November 10, 09 10:21 AM
  1. I love all the people saying "Who cares?".....well, 83 posts and counting... people care. A lot.

I saw Aerosmith in 84 at the Garden. I'll never forget it the rest of my life.

Posted by Dave November 10, 09 11:05 AM
  1. that kid who made the comment about his dad and friends at a halloween party must have one hell of a cool Dad..(probably grew up listening to Aerosmith)..and that musta been one HELLUVA PARTY!! lol

Posted by Bob November 10, 09 11:45 AM
  1. Let's be real...they haven't been the same since the ALL sobered up. PUMP was their last good album.

Right?

Posted by Hagen November 10, 09 01:37 PM
  1. To all these Idiots that put "who cares" Obviously you you read the story and then commented on it....

Posted by Jake November 11, 09 06:39 AM

About Sound Effects

The latest news, commentary, and reviews on music in Boston and beyond.

Sarah Rodman is a staff music critic for the Boston Globe.

James Reed is a staff music critic for the Boston Globe.

Jonathan Perry is the Globe's Scene & Heard columnist, covering local music.

Julian Benbow is a staff writer at the Boston Globe, covering sports and music.

Katie McLeod is Boston.com's features editor.

Emily Wright is an Arts & Entertainment producer at Boston.com.