Yes, we are a sports town. But you knew that. In addition to gorging on the Olympics -- and I have my own theories about why the games are so compelling -- Bostonians spent last week watching the Red Sox and the Patriots and, to a lesser extent, dancing and forensics. According to Nielsen Media Research, here are the top 20 shows in the Boston area for the week of August 4-10:
1. Olympics Opening Ceremony, Channel 7
2. Sunday Olympics coverage, Channel 7
3. Saturday Olympics coverage, Channel 7
4. Red Sox (Wed., August 6), NESN
5. Red Sox (Monday, August 4), NESN
6. Red Sox (Tuesday, August 5), NESN
7. Patriots preseason game, Channel 5
8. Red Sox (Friday, August 8), NESN
9. Two and a Half Men, Channel 4
10. Red Sox (Thursday, August 9), NESN
11. Criminal Minds, Channel 4
12. New Adventures of Old Christine, Channel 4
13. So You Think You Can Dance (Thursday), Channel 25
14. America's Got Talent, Channel 7
15. So You Think You Can Dance (Wednesday), Channel 25
16. Flashpoint, Channel 4
17. Wipeout, Channel 5
18. CSI: Miami, Channel 4
19: CSI: NY, Channel 4
20. Fox 25 News at 10 (Thursday, August 7), Channel 25
And here, by comparison, are the top 20 broadcast shows in the nation that week:
1. Olympics Opening Ceremony, NBC
2. Sunday Olympics coverage, NBC
3. Saturday Olympics coverage, NBC
4. America's Got Talent, NBC
5. Two and a Half Men, CBS
6. Criminal Minds, CBS
7. NCIS, CBS
8. So You Think You Can Dance (Thursday), Fox
9. CSI: Miami, CBS
10. So You Think You Can Dance (Wednesday), Fox
11. New Adventures of Old Christine, CBS
12. America's Got Talent (Thursday), NBC
13. CSI: NY, CBS
14. 60 Minutes, CBS
15. Flashpoint, CBS
16. How I Met Your Mother, CBS
17. Wipeout, ABC
18. Big Bang Theory, CBS
19. Big Brother (Tuesday), CBS
20. CSI, CBS
About Viewer Discretion
ContributorsMatthew Gilbert is the Globe's TV critic.
Sarah Rodman is a staff TV and music critic for the Boston Globe.
Michael Brodeur is the assistant arts editor for the Boston Globe, covering pop music, TV, and nightlife.
Katie McLeod is Boston.com's features editor.
Rachel Raczka is a producer for Lifestyle and Arts & Entertainment at Boston.com.
Emily Wright is an Arts & Entertainment producer at Boston.com.