Through The Roof 'N Underground | Gogol Bordello Listen Live

'Idol:' Sure, why not?

Posted by Joanna Weiss  January 20, 2009 09:50 PM

Do you ever get the sense that these "American Idol" judges don't really care who makes it to Hollywood? That they're undertaking this national tour for amusement and annoyance and twisted entertainment, and will weed out the rest of the mediocre masses when the real time comes? That the producers have assured them that, since we're getting two weeks worth of Hollywood Rounds this year, they can treat these early auditions extra-lightly?

That's the only way I can explain how Tatiana, tonight's first contestant, got her golden ticket. I mean, her voice wasn't terrible, but it isn't going to take her to the top 10, and besides, she's clearly insane. So is Hollywood going to be a big parade of Tatianas and Katrina Bikinis?

Confession, blog pals: Due to covering the inauguration and managing a wailing infant, I haven't slogged through all of "Idol" tonight. So I'll update more tomorrow after I see more. In the meantime, fill me in: Were there some true contenders in the San Francisco crowd tonight? Or just more crazy ladies?

Updated: Watched the rest. My impression still stands. The only potential contender blew by in a breeze. The best entertainment? When Kara snaps at Simon. Keep it coming!

1. Remember the format changes this season- the semis are top 36 (not 24) and the finals are top 12 (not top 10), so yes, it's reasonable to expect a thinner crop of talent making it to Hollywood. It's interesting how after 7 seasons we're all better at spotting the top talent earlier in the competition...

Posted by mynameisbob January 21, 09 07:00 AM
  1. I agree. Couldn't understand how Tatiana made it. I heard this is her boyfriend behind this crazy website.... babywantfota.com

Posted by number44 January 21, 09 08:37 AM
  1. I am pretty convinced that the judges were being told to let in people that will make good television when they crash and burn in hollywood.

i.e Build them up now, then tear them down when they've had their egos boosted by getting to hollywood.... watch the carnage and laugh incessantly.

Posted by n January 21, 09 08:53 AM
  1. I'm disappointed in all the pandering. Since when do the judges cave to a contestant's begging, pleading, dragging the kids in for sympathy? Blech! This year they should rename it American Idle. Everyone is asleep at the wheel so far.

For em, no real contenders in SF; mediocre at best.

Posted by A Dingo Ate My Baby January 21, 09 09:04 AM
  1. Plus after umpteen season we're all wise to the fact that a few Tatianas and Katrinas makes for good TV down the road. We know they're being set up for spectacular failure in Hollywood -- all for our enjoyment.

Posted by idleidolwatcher January 21, 09 10:02 AM
  1. the judges someimtes let people through that do not always have a good voice but are veyy entertaining. And remember that the judges sit through alot of auditions so if someone who is an ok singer comes after someone who is really bad, the chances of them going through are greater

Posted by americanidolfano9 February 2, 09 08:09 PM

About Viewer Discretion

What we're watching on TV.

Katie McLeod is Boston.com's features editor.

Emily Wright is an Arts & Entertainment producer at Boston.com.

Sarah Rodman is a TV and music critic for the Boston Globe.