RadioBDC | Grrl Power with Steph Mangan Listen Live

'Idol:' That was a joke, right?

Posted by Joanna Weiss  January 21, 2009 09:51 PM

Great moment in "American Idol" history: Paula (dressed like a disco schoolmarm) admonishing the guy who told the judges to "be careful" that "that's just not a normal thing to say." Since Paula is so expert at saying normal things.

Other brief thoughts and observations from Louisville:

* Kara is trying hard to be entertaining. Maybe a little too hard. Is she going to keep singing all season? And did she really think the girl with the lyrics on her armband was joking? Has she been watching the show? At all?

* On the other hand, one thing I like about her presence is the way it changes the male-female dynamic on the panel. Yes, "boys versus girls" isn't very original, but at least we're straying from that weird Simon-Paula flirtation. And if she and Simon become dueling purveyors of brutal honesty, this is going to be fun.

* If you've already had and lost a record deal, you don't need to act so surprised when the judges pass you on to the Hollywood round.

* What's the seasonal quota on bland, good-looking white guys with passable singing voices?

* For my money, Lenisha is the top female contender so far. She's cute in a Keke Palmer way, she has a distinctive voice, and she's got the talent to match her tale of woe. Look out, Stevie Wright.

1. Did you really think Kara really thought the girl was joking? No, she was trying to be mean and funny, but came off as just mean rather than insightful like Simon.

The boys-girls dynamic sucks, in fact, the whole show has become kindler, gentler, predictable and boring. The best so far doesn't come close to previous seasons' worst finalists.

Was this person actually paid to write this article, or have I stumbled on somebody's personal blog?...

Posted by auramac January 21, 09 11:04 PM
  1. Joanna-You get paid for this? Hey, good for you.

Posted by Sar January 22, 09 01:00 AM
  1. That was an over-reaction right? Simon and, particularly, Paula were way too sensitive to an off-handed comment by that good ol' boy contesant last night. That poor guy didn't mean anything threatening by saying "be careful."

Beyond that I thought the young stay at hoe mom had potential if for not other reason than her voice and look are so mismatched. She looks like a fifteen year old cheerleader and sings like a 30 year old black woman.

I think Simon is not giving Kara her time to voice her opinion. Simon- perhaps this is the person you are threatened by. Let her speak.

Posted by FinnFann January 22, 09 06:28 AM
  1. you have stumbled onto a blog

Posted by mjkinor January 22, 09 06:31 AM
  1. I'm passing on this crap phase of AI. Maybe I'll watch when AI is down to a top 20.

Posted by Otis January 22, 09 06:38 AM
  1. I'm getting a little tired of the Woe-Is-Me-I'm-A-Single-Mom whiners.

Posted by Shecky January 22, 09 07:09 AM
  1. I think what Kara said was just crue and thoughtless and totally unecessary. She came off as a BITCH in my eyes. I know some people on this show deserve what they get based on their performances and antics but that was uncalled for. Sorry Im not a fan of Kara.

Posted by oldguy323 January 22, 09 07:21 AM
  1. LENISHA A TALE OF WOE????, I THINK THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS A TALE. THE WHOLE FAMILY LOOKED PRETTY WELL DRESSED TO ME... I WORE CLOTHES MADE BY MY MOTHER TILL I WAS 10, WHICH SHE EARNED BY CLEANING OTHER PEOPLE'S TOILETS. WHERE'S MY STORY, OH RIGHT, I DON'T FIT THE PROFILE (CODE WORD).

Posted by FFED January 22, 09 07:29 AM
  1. The "be careful" comment was harmless. If anyone remembers the famous final opening line of Hill Street Blues "Be careful out there", this was an attempt to pump some drama in a snoozer of season 8 beginning..
    I agree, if you got as far a signing to a record deal, chances are you should not be weeping over acing the tryout and heading to Hollywood.
    No one yet stands out with exception of Lenisha who also comes with the talent to write a song. As for being a single mom; there are so so so many out there that her story is not unique. it is her talent, not her hard luck story that will keep her in the competition.

Posted by A Dingo Ate My Baby January 22, 09 07:30 AM
  1. My husband and I could not believe that Simon and Paula thought that "be careful" was a threat. Evidently they did not realize where they were (in the south) and that "be careful" is a southern thing and something that we say to people that we care about, to people that we just know in passing and as a statement in place of "goodbye". I felt so sorry for this poor guy!

"Be Careful" from Tennessee!

Posted by Darla January 22, 09 07:32 AM

1. 'Idol:' That was a joke, right?
    Please don't tell me you take all this seriously, seriously. It's Idol, and yes it was and yes it is a joke.

Posted by joemac22 January 22, 09 07:38 AM
  1. I could see Simon light up when Leneshe started singing -- here's a young, charismatic, talented and naive contestant just waiting for him to mold and shape her into his next star.
    For me the back stories are irrelevant. No matter if you're a single mom or a girl who starred on Broadway with a flopped record deal. Last night the single mom put on the better show, while Joanne P. struggled with her upper register and was shouty in the rest of it. But I'm too tough to be an Idol judge.

Posted by NHMusicfan January 22, 09 08:16 AM
  1. Could not agree with you more Shecky!

Posted by Jake January 22, 09 08:27 AM
  1. Lenisha seems like a sweet girl. Her mom seems nice too. But, my gosh, how many out-of-wedlock children does she have? And her whole story was about how much difficulty she had financially (often homeless and in shelters). I can understand one slip-up "oops, I have a child". But it looked like she had about 5! Time to stop glorifying multiple illegetimate children. I you can't provide for a child, use birth control. ... All these straight "relations" resulting in children born into poverty with little hope -- unless one makes it all the way on A.I.

Posted by Michael January 22, 09 08:49 AM
  1. Loved Leneshe's song -- "I love your thuggish wayyyyys"! :-) Reminded me of Lauryn Hill, but quite original and most importantly, *confident.* That girl radiated confidence. Watch out, Lil Rounds!

Re: Average White Dudes, I quote "30 Rock":
    Liz: What white dudes?
    Tracy: Alllll of 'em! Jack Donaghy, General Electric, George Bush, Karl Robe!

Posted by serafina January 22, 09 09:01 AM
  1. YOu're right on the money with all your comments today, Joanne.

Lenisha looks like a keeper. I'm rooting for this girl already.

Posted by Matt Talvi January 22, 09 09:09 AM
  1. Last night really didn't do much for me - at all.

And I'm getting REAL tired of the sob stories at the end of every audition city. I'm so ready for Hollywood week!

Posted by SarahBeth January 22, 09 11:26 AM
  1. It's sad how hard AI is trying to fabricate items of interest this season. 'Be careful,' while not the most common phrase, is hardly anything to be concerned about. And as far as 'This is a Joke, right?" being mean-spirited, that was clearly what she was told to say. Don't forget that each of these contestants is pre-auditioned, sometimes more than once, and only a few make it to the celebrity judges. Those who do are standouts for either being really good, or really bad and the judges have notes on each that describe their talents & quirks.

And Lenesha, while by far the most unique singer this season, seems to hardly come from an impovershed background. But giving her a sob-story will help ratings, so FOX writers and editors script whatever they need to for viewers

Posted by idolrants January 22, 09 11:59 AM
  1. I have skipped all the auditions (LOST was back last night people!) and looks like from your comments, I made the right choice. A question: Are the contestants allowed to use instruments this year? And do they only get to use them once they get to Hollywood? I am seeming to recall that they were able to use them in auditions last year....ala the blonde boy that lived in his car.

Posted by Jason is a Riot January 22, 09 12:12 PM
  1. SERFINA:......................AH..............LAUREN HILL WHO I QUOTE SAID " I'D RATHER MY KIDS STARVE TO DEATH, THEN HAVE WHITE PEOPLE BUY MY RECORDS."

Posted by FFED January 22, 09 04:51 PM
  1. I think the whole American Idol judges' panel owe the poor "Be Careful" guy ...and possibly the whole state of Kentucky an apology. I'm from Kentucky and for many of us, when someone leaves our home or just leaves our company, that's what we say as a good-bye. We just say "be careful"....All my life, every time I left my parents' house, or anyone who left his presence for that matter, my Dad never failed to say, "be careful". It's just a "catch all" phrase to mean "be careful getting home, be careful how you drive.....whatever....it just means "you're leaving my presence and I hope you'll be okay when you leave."

That poor man on Idol was treated like they thought he was a potential terrorist. I don't know that he wouldn't have a reason to contact an attorney about defamation of character. In my opion they certaily did cast a bad light on his character, when all he was doing was trying to be nice. He even tried to explain what he meant and they spoke even more harshly to him............Unbelievable - they've just gotten totally out of hand.

Posted by Carol January 22, 09 09:44 PM
  1. Can stand Kara! I find Kara extremely irritating and annoying. She cuts Simon off and tries to monopolize the spot light. Are we stuck with her for the entire season?

Posted by Indiana January 22, 09 09:51 PM
  1. Idol needs to get a grip. I am from that redneck state beside Kentucky....West Virginia, and "Be Careful" is something I always say when leaving someone's presence. Whether I am leaving someone else's place or they are leaving mine, I always say...."Be Careful".
    He was only trying to be nice and the judges totally overeacted. They need to apologize, and not in a press release, but on the next show. Take 60 seconds and make things right and I might continue to watch the show. Otherwise, I have better things to do.

Posted by Jonathan Carr January 23, 09 11:11 PM
  1. I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but about the "be careful" guy--Seacrest and the producers/editors obviously also thought this guy was threatening, or else they would not have made a "piece" out of it in post-production. This makes it even more embarrassing. Couldn't even one person on the crew have bothered to find out whether "be careful" was a common parting phrase in the South? No, God forbid they should do a little cultural research. Instead they all made asses of themselves on national TV and insulted the poor guy who was just being polite. They truly should "be careful," and stop trying to apply Los Angeles cultural norms to people who actually live in the real world.

Posted by Neal Rolett January 28, 09 12:41 AM

About Viewer Discretion

What we're watching on TV.

Katie McLeod is Boston.com's features editor.

Emily Wright is an Arts & Entertainment producer at Boston.com.

Sarah Rodman is a TV and music critic for the Boston Globe.