Habits (Stay High) | Tove Lo Listen Live

Looking Forward to Hugh?

Posted by Matthew Gilbert  February 20, 2009 05:49 AM

hugh-jackman-picture-1.jpg

I'm just not excited about seeing Hugh Jackman as host of the Oscars on Sunday night (at 8:30 on ABC). I hope I am pleasantly surprised -- that would be nice. But Jackman has never "spoken to me" as a performer, and the thought of having to see "Australia" last year, if it had been a hit, filled me with dread. He's probably nice guy, and maybe if I were a hardcore "X-Men" fan I'd feel differently. Plus, I am tired of seeing Jackman topless in the front section of People magazine. After a while, compulsively exhibitionistic people like Jackman and Matthew McConaughey start to seem unattractive, you know? They come off as too vain, even by Hollywood standards.

We'll see if breaking away from the comic-as-host mode helps the Oscar telecast, both as a piece of entertainment and in the ratings. And you? Are you looking forward to Hugh?

1. Compulsively exhibitionist? all those photos of hugh jackman topless are taken at the beach, when he's with his kids. Should he swim with a shirt on?
    And vain? Every person that has ever met hugh jackman has said that he is down to earth and humble. Ricky Gervais wrote in his blog a few days ago "He's great though. He seems to have no ego at all. Nice bloke. Hope he does well."
    The man actually blushed on oprah when they mentioned his topless scene in australia. To me that doesn't sound vain at all.
    Anyway, I think he's a wonderful entertainer and this Sunday I'm actually going to watch the oscars for the first time in years .

Posted by snoopy February 20, 09 08:50 AM
  1. If he's even half as entertaining as he was hosting the Tony awards, he'll be the best Oscar host we've had in years.

Posted by kacy February 20, 09 10:53 PM
  1. Do I hear envy???

Posted by Mrs Jack February 22, 09 07:28 AM
  1. I CAN'T WAIT! The man can do it all and they can eliminate those ridiculous dance numbers. He's the total package and doesn't seem to take himself too seriously.

Posted by A Dingo Ate My Baby February 22, 09 05:25 PM
  1. Usually I'm on the same page with your observations and reviews, but "vain". Do you think that Mr. Jackman poses for all of those magazine covers without his shirt on? Those are all pics. taken without his knowledge. You missed the boat on this one Gilbert. Your review of Mr. Jackman is way off. Jealousy, perhaps?

Posted by Jaye February 23, 09 08:15 AM
  1. Hugh Jackman showed his versatility as a complete entertainer. I enjoyed him very much. I'm glad to have the opportunity to get a better image of him other than that unfortunate "fall from grace" in London a couple of years ago. I do not now think any less of him. Let's face it. How many Senators and Governors have committed the same devious discretions with much less fall-out? People who are so judgemental should get a life.

Posted by Jerry February 23, 09 09:30 AM
  1. Did a better job than any Seppo could do - he actually has a sense of humor, none of this contrived B*!!S#!!

Posted by Mark Plusner June 20, 09 01:52 AM

About Viewer Discretion

What we're watching on TV.

Katie McLeod is Boston.com's features editor.

Emily Wright is an Arts & Entertainment producer at Boston.com.

Sarah Rodman is a TV and music critic for the Boston Globe.