I'll Be You | The Replacements Listen Live

'ER:' Clooney Clips

Posted by Matthew Gilbert  March 13, 2009 09:50 AM

Here are some of my favorite moments from last night's "ER," which featured the return of George Clooney and Julianna Margulies. The two actors fit in beautifully, falling back into their old roles effortlessly. The first scene is between Clooney and Susan Sarandon, as he tries to help her decide to donate her grandson's organs, and the second captures the continuing warmth between Clooney and Margulies as they fall asleep together.

Did you watch? Did you enjoy?

1. Thank you for posting this! I was a faithful ER viewer until a few years ago, but came back this year - and am so glad this once-great show has returned to form. It's a case for the way all shows should end - with dignity, and respect to the fans for longtime loyalty. Last night's return of three ex-cast members didn't feel forced at all - it was a wonderful way to catch up and say farewell.

Posted by K March 13, 09 12:00 PM
  1. I really liked it. They have done a nice job working in the former cast members without it being forced or sappy.

Posted by Brian Flaherty March 13, 09 01:16 PM
  1. It wasn't clear if Hathaway and Ross had actually married - but it didn't married. They clearly have a loving, lifelong relationship. Hathaway took a risk, went to Seattle, found her Ross - and the intervening years have only made them stronger. Benton, always such an *ss to Carter, showed his true colors, making sure the surgery went off without a hitch; staying with Carter in recovery until Carter was well enough to speak. If all ER episodes in the past 7 years had been this good, I might still have been watching on a regular basis. "The Book of Abby" and last night's episode should garner Emmy nods.

Posted by reindeergirl March 13, 09 02:51 PM
  1. Haven't watched ER for several years but I watched last night. I admit, I wanted to see George! But I did think it was well written and reminded me of why I used to love that show- it shows the dilemmas, rewards and pain of working in health care, the camraderie and sense of being in a kind of war zone together. I thought the scene between George Clooney and Susan Sarandon was brilliant, subtle and heart breaking. I also loved the moment when he was chatting with Neela and Sam about who was still working at the hospital- haven't you had those moments with former coworkers? I hope it ends like NYPD Blue did- with dignity

Posted by M woman March 13, 09 04:56 PM
  1. i watched, i enjoyed

Posted by LN March 13, 09 09:09 PM
  1. Matt, I thought it was a excellent episode. Clooney was great particularly when he went for the close..."Was he generous?" The Carter/Benton scenes were also well done and satisfying. How painful was it when Benton asked Carter if he had kids? I had to laugh though, only ER, on the night they bring back four of their biggest/best characters, would still feel the need to add Susan Sarandon. Anyway, kudos to the show for wrapping up these characters so well.

Posted by Eastman March 14, 09 09:04 AM

About Viewer Discretion

What we're watching on TV.

Katie McLeod is Boston.com's features editor.

Emily Wright is an Arts & Entertainment producer at Boston.com.

Sarah Rodman is a TV and music critic for the Boston Globe.