Chocolate | The 1975 Listen Live

'Idol:' Country roads

Posted by Joanna Weiss  March 18, 2009 09:10 PM

I'm saving my thoughts on tonight's "American Idol" elimination for after the jump. And thanking my stars that I wasn't that poor audience member beaned by a water balloon. Ryan is a good sport, but I don't think he'd do so well on the "Idol" softball team...

This whole judges'-save situation is looking a little heartless. Suddenly, the bottom-ranked contestant has tremendous pressure to perform well on a song that gave her trouble in the first place. And the judges are kinda-sorta watching and kinda-sorta flirting and kinda-sorta talking to each other. And at the end of all that, Simon once again gets to say, "Sorry, not good enough." (Which is better than "That was indulgent rubbish," but not by much.)

I thought Alexis did a better "Jolene" tonight than she did in last night's show, maybe because this time around she was feeling real emotion: Suddenly, the desperation came through in her voice. And she handled the disappointment with poise, though she also seemed a little ticked off. I think this was unexpected for her, and that she doesn't consult DialIdol. I'm sorry to see her go -- especially because she would have been terrific on next week's Motown show -- but given the strengths of some of the other contestants, I doubt she was a serious contender for the title. Amazingly, there now are only three women left, one of them is actually a girl, and one of them is over-coddled, hip-swaying, pronunciation-challenged Megan. I really think that if her number comes up, the judges will save her, and that will make me angry.

In fact, let's play this parlor game. Here's my guess at how the judges would approach their veto power:

Saved under any circumstance: Danny, Adam, Megan
Possibly saved, depending on the judges' mood: Scott, Matt, Allison, Lil
If you're gone, you're gone: Anoop, Kris, Michael

Agree? Disagree? Let me know...and start guessing which Motown song Adam is going to take on next week...

1. I liked Alexis better than you. I thought she had top five potential. I can't believe she's gone and Michael and Scott survive. Please!

Judges would save Danny, Adam, and Allison. Maybe Lil. Maybe Matt.

I don't seeing them saving Megan. But I think a lot of it depends on when it happens. If there are only six of them left and Kris is on the bottom they might be in a position of using it or losing it.

I think they passed on Alexis tonight because they feared their (and your) beloved Adam would get the boot next week and they'd have lost their power.

All in all the whole save thing just comes across as cruel. Hey, you're voted off twice in one show- way to go.

I wish the judges had used it just to be done with it.

Posted by FinnFann March 18, 09 10:00 PM
  1. Adam=Little Richard. Awful, just awful. And you're a toady for following Paula like this Joanna.

Posted by Don Mattingly March 18, 09 10:10 PM
  1. Totally agree

Posted by Kaye Potts March 18, 09 10:51 PM
  1. There's no way the judges would use the veto within the first couple of weeks. They're too afraid someone they REALLY like (Megan for some inexplicable reason) will need it in later rounds. So the drama every week feels a little artificial, until we start getting down to maybe seven contestants left. Unfortunately, I think you are absolutely correct, Joanna: they WILL save Megan if she gets voted out.

I thought Adam was (if possible) even more ridiculous than last week. The praise heaped upon his comically over the top performance last night almost convinced me that there is some kind of joke being played upon viewers this season.

Meanwhile, Allison, who is both unique AND talented, lands in the bottom three. What the hell is wrong with America?

Posted by Andy Anonymous March 18, 09 11:21 PM
  1. Who is voting for Michael? Alexis is better by far... sad to see her go.

Posted by Allison March 18, 09 11:41 PM
  1. This judge's "save" nonsense (and adding the fourth judge this year) is making me think Idol is very close to "Jumping The Shark."

Why mess with a good formula? Stupid. And, to put the contestant that is on the bubble through extra humiliation-- like a doomed court jester performing to save his life for the King-- is just plain cruel.

Having said that, Alexis wasn't going to last much longer, anyway. Perhaps it was a mercy killing.

Posted by Mattal1958 March 19, 09 05:42 AM
  1. I had hoped that getting the judges involved would mean that in times like last night - when you've got a bottom three and it seems obvious, talent-wise, who should go - the better singer would be saved, the lesser light sent home. If I've got this straight now, the judges have one save to use the entire season. Obviously, not enough. For once I agree with Kara that Alexis seemed to have lost her edge with Jolene. I disagree that she was better last night - she screeched a few notes and flubbed the words at one point. Even so, she's better than Michael and Scott and Anoop for that matter, on her worst day. But the whole set up is really cruel. They ought to be looking at the big picture and not just one desperate performance. Too bad, I had hoped Michael would get to go home to his kids. Tell me Megan Joy got America's sympathy vote because she was sick. She's got to go. Last night's group number was the first time it was obviously a lip-synch. Looked horrible.

Posted by Glory Bee March 19, 09 07:02 AM
  1. I agree that the judges will save Megan. Her and her stupid bird noises.

And Idol has already jumped the shark this year, no question. Between Kara, Tatiana, the blind guy, and the "save"...the competition is a joke. Yet, I still watch it, talk about it and get angry about it. Idol, you make me soooo mad!!!

Posted by magoo March 19, 09 07:03 AM
  1. With all the talk of Megan as a "package artist" because she's so good looking I have to wonder am I the only one who thinks Alexis is better looking?

And seeing the retrospective at the end of the show last night I had forgotten how wholesome see she looked during auditions- I now have to question the judges advice- Kara specifically- for Alexis to "dirty" it up."

Posted by FinnFann March 19, 09 07:12 AM
  1. I think you should move Meghan out of the "Save" list, and that the judges will too. With the strength of the guys this early on it's pretty evidednt we have a male idol comming our way, why waste it on one of the girls? Although the producers are proabably kicking themselves for the lack of female presence.

Posted by lulalu March 19, 09 07:15 AM
  1. The whole "save" idea came around because of the Fauxhawk joke that happened two years ago and the dreadful run of Castro, who made it further than judges faves Michael Johns and Carly Smithson. While it's not a perfect idea, I do like the idea of a better singer being saved over losing to the "votefortheworst" or the bad singer who all the teenie boppers think is cute. Think about this, at least the contestants are singing for a chance now, in previous years it was "Hey, you're going home, now here's a microphone and sing your losing song through the tears." In my opinion, the contestant, up for elimination, should sing a song they chose and have ready, not the same song that got them voted off in the first place.

Posted by Not that T.O. March 19, 09 07:20 AM
  1. The right person went home...although I would have been happier to see Michael go. Scott in the top ten...????? Alison in the bottom three?! =( My stomach was turning...but it also seemed staged, just like the judges reaction to her performance on tuesday...she was FLAWLESS...and they were all like "eh, good job". Total BS! This show is really starting to burn me!

BEST part of the night, the opening ...while introducing the judges...NOBODY applauded Kara....lol...felt bad for Dopey!

=P

Posted by T-DAWG March 19, 09 07:30 AM
  1. I'm really disappointed in the judge's save. It turns the last performance, which was like a last hurrah for the contestant, into a pity performance. I hope they use it soon and get it over with, so that the final performance can go back to being what it should be. Also, i don't think they would save Megan. Kara's the only one that actually drools over her, Simon would never give his vote for her, and it has to be unanimous. However, someone everyone thinks should be saved (ie Danny, Adam, Lil), probably won't end up in the bottom 3, let alone be the one sent packing until after the save rule doesn't apply anymore. I think it has a higher chance of being used on someone like Kris Allen or Matt Giraud, who may not have the strongest fan base (compared to Adam/Anoop/Danny), but has a real chance of winning it all.

That being said, Alexis should not have left last night. Megan should have. And she wasn't even in the bottom 3. It should have been her in the 3, not Allison

Posted by I Miss the Old Idol March 19, 09 07:33 AM
  1. Too bad to see Alexis go home so early, but she wouldn't have lasted past the top 5 or 6 anyways. I think the huge break between that Aretha song she sang in the semis and the finals hurt her. People forgot how great she is, and she didn't remind them with a performance like she did in the semis.

At this point with so many contestants, the save will only be used for Danny or Adam, and maybe Lil. When the contestant pool drops to the top 6 and 7, you may see it used for Allison or Matt. I think when we get the top 5, the last time it can be used, the judges will most likely use it on whoever gets eliminated.

No way are the judges going to save Megan if she's eliminated, unless it's the top 5 and it's their last chance to use the save. But I don't think Megan's going to last that long. I think she's going home next week, unless she knocks one out of the park.

I think Megan has potential to be good. I think her talent needs to be polished with some good quality vocal lessons. Right now it's a little too rough.

Posted by Elly March 19, 09 07:41 AM
  1. Thank god for Tivo -- I watched the whole results show in 13 minutes, thankfully zipping through the painful closeups of the bottom 3 on the Hot Seats. I knew Allison would make it, and Michael was in his genre wheelhouse with Country Week....but poor Alexis, that was a really tough song and I think she oversang it a bit. No matter, of course, that Crazy Meghan butchered Patsy Cline, I'm convinced her braless sundress look brought in this votes this week.

Adam continues to mystify -- he is the male Cher. I expect next week he'll pop a lung on "When A Man Loves A Woman" or maybe a faux-Middle Eastern take on "My Girl." Anoop, Matt, Michael and Kris are going to crush Motown Week, but be sure Adam will be resuscitated for a future Glam Rock week....blurg.

The big question -- who will the Motown clebrity mentor be?? I really liked Randy Travis this week, actually, and enjoyed the duet with Carrie. Fingers crossed for Aretha in her Inauguration hat!

Posted by serafina March 19, 09 07:52 AM
  1. Megan is NOT good. Pretty girl, sure. But Kelly Clarkson/Carrie Underwood quality? Oh, hell no.

Alexis was not good enough by a mile.

I actually like Anoop! I have no idea what Motown song they'll do next week. Someone might do some Otis Redding's "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay." Maybe Adam can do that one. Someone will do Aretha. Lil would do a great job. I think she is Motown quality.

Posted by mells March 19, 09 07:56 AM
  1. Allison, the entire state of TX is voting for Michael - they really take care of their own down there, trust me.

Don, wtf is a toady?

Finally, like many of you, I don't like Adam. But to say he is talentless is totally wrong. He is VERY good, just not my cup of tea and I would never pay for an album or even $0.99 for a single. That doesn't mean that there aren't others out there who DO like his style.

As for Megan, she isn't as bad as many say. She is popular because she is pretty good (not great) AND incredibly marketable. People like celebrities to look just like her. She will continue to get votes whether you like it or not. I believe the judges refer to contestants like her "package artists" - ready to make money from day 1.

Posted by dbos March 19, 09 07:58 AM
  1. I want to know who is voting for Scott. I can't believe he is still there. Why is he still there? Can anyone help me understand why he is still there? Alexis is a lost -- she would have only gotten better and better, and I really felt she was great. I just don't get Megan and feel she is horrible. In fact, every time I think, is this a joke -- what's more a joke are the judges responses... Only 3 women out of the top 10 -- a direct result of the new system... I am quickly loosing interest... and that is disappointing...

Posted by aprils March 19, 09 07:58 AM
  1. The judges have to use the veto (or lose it I suppose) before the top five, according to a Reuters article: "The judges must be unanimous and the new rule only applies until the contest narrows to the final five singers." So with 10 contestants left, we only have five more weeks of the watching as the judges confer / figure out where they are going after the show / talk about Ryan while the poor contestant sings his/her heart out. And honestly, I don't know if I can watch them do that five more times. It's awful. However according to producers they used this rule in France and it 'worked out' so we shall see huh?

Meanwhile, Adam is starting to grate on me. I think he's almost too polished for this show. I enjoy watching the contestants grow and learn over the season, Adam just seems to come out, do his thing and go back into his cave every week. There's no growth there. I am sure he'll do something over the top next week, Little Richard sounds good, but knowing him he'll find some aria that some Mo-Town artist recorded on the B-Side of an album in the 60's and come out singing it in a powdered wig.

Speaking of no growth, I must agree with Paula, Scott is showing none either. Everytime I watch him at the piano I am taken back to my middle school years of watching Richard Marx sing in some bad MTV video. Piano or not, talent or not, Scott needs to start taking some risks or he's got to go.

Ah, Megan. Yeah her diction is awful, but that can be fixed, think Vanessa Williams. Her movements are ackward, but America did vote for Talyor Hicks, and the judges love her. Megan's sound reminds me of the late 40's recording artists like Ella Fitgerald and Rosemary Cloney, she has her place, but perhaps not on Idol.

As for the good folks? The only people that made me look up frmo my computer screen were, Lil and Anoop. I think I am rooting for those two, but I am sure I will change my mind next week.

Posted by fesc March 19, 09 07:58 AM
  1. Alexis was better than Megan or Sarver, and more "unique" than Kris or Anoop. They could not use the save this week. First, it's too soon, they'd lose that power. Second, Ryan had already told Scott and at least one other that they were definitely On The Tour. Saving Alexis would throw that back into play.

I was mainly happy that Allison made the tour, she is amazing. I'll have to start voting so she can stay on for a while. And I just like Scott, though I agree that he belongs on 70s soft rock radio.

I listened to the ITunes downloads this morning. Lil Rounds' "Independence Day" was very good, either much better than on TV, or the judges were just being obtuse. My boyfriend wanted to shoot the IPod when Adam and Megan were singing.

Posted by NHMusicLover March 19, 09 08:07 AM
  1. the whole water balloon incident? Where are they taking this show? So dumb!

Posted by T-DAWG March 19, 09 08:20 AM
  1. Okay, so not only did Randy Jackson make a ludcrious comment about Adam's version being "NIN does Cash," now he's bringing down Jeff Buckley too?

Adam ripped off that version of Ring of Fire from some chick who sang it on the show "Rock Star: Supernova." Jeff Buckley has never covered that song. Randy, please stop making references to artists you know nothing about, especially in the context of the cheesiest contestant ever!!!

Posted by trent March 19, 09 08:25 AM
  1. I don't like Scott and thought either he or Megan should have gone last night. I agree with you Joanna, that if the judges have a chance to save Megan, they will because she's so "commercial" which is complete BS. I will be interested to see what happens next week, as always.

Posted by SarahBeth March 19, 09 08:26 AM
  1. Unfortunately, neither Aretha nor Otis Redding were Motown artists.
    We get Supremes (and Diana Ross), Martha Reeves, Marvellettes, Gladys Knight for the girls, and all that wonderful Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Temptations, Four Tops for the guys. Michigan Matt should be in his element.

I want Anoop to rock some Smokey, Danny could cement his heartthrob status with Marvin (angel Danny "I Heard it through the Grapevine" or devil danny "Let's Get It On", either one should work), etc.

Adam could do the late 60s psychedlic cover band Vanilla Fudge version of the Supremes;' "You Keep Me Hanging On".

Posted by NHMusicLover March 19, 09 08:41 AM
  1. I AGREE WITH Andy Anonymous about Allison!!! she is one of the best!! she did not deserve to be in the botton three!! She is my favorite!!! I am telling all my friends to vote for her!!!

Posted by Ariel March 19, 09 08:47 AM
  1. Allison is the only one with real "pop" potential.

Do people really think that Lambert can make an "emo" album just because of his haircut? That is not his style. And to be honest his style will not sell albums.
    I have heard him compared to the lead singer of Rush. Anyone noticed how many kids are buying Rush albums lately?
    The only three that could possibly make it commercially: Allison, Kris and Danny
    (and in that order)

Posted by Johnny March 19, 09 08:51 AM
  1. In Adam's situation...I find it unfair that he's even on the show...he was already all over broadway.

Posted by tdawg March 19, 09 08:57 AM
  1. They need to get rid of the Brady Bunch routine at the beginning of the show, it’s getting old.

Posted by Barbie's Dream House March 19, 09 09:19 AM
  1. The thing about Megan and the controversy over whether she is talented or not comes down to her being different and having a unique sound. Megan does not sound like everyone else. No one will say she's a Mariah or a Celine a Whitney, a Carrie or a Kelly. Will she make it to the top 5? I'm not so sure but I think she is record deal material. She has a sultry voice with a bit of a twang and think if given the right songs will go far. To this day no one else sounds like Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand or Ella Fitzgerald. And while they might not be everyone's cup of tea, they made out OK. Embrace individuality.

Posted by A Dingo Ate My Baby March 19, 09 09:21 AM
  1. All except Adam and Allison are boring wanna be's who I would never listen to on the radio never mind buy their album. As for a save, I'll go along with Allison and Adam but .Megan... are you serious? The judges have a ranking which they may tweek each week, but only will they use their one save to keep a ranked top 3... Allison, Adam and Danny. Adam would definitely get a save as he is either a crowd pleaser or a controversial WHAT-WAS-THAT, but in either case RATINGS!

Posted by Otis March 19, 09 09:24 AM
  1. You people do not get it ,the audience that votes is mostly female so they will vote for the guy they like and that costs the female singers votes because of that stupidity you have only three females left out of ten I thought that blubbering slob Michael should have gone before Alexis whining about his kid missing him turn on the fake tears ,and can we stop the pity voting for Scott and Danny I know Scott is a piano player and a tough life he has no doubt had but his singing is not worthy of him still being there.Danny is nothing special does anybody really think a record company is drooling to sign him to a contract.Lil Rounds should win the whole thing but the young female crowd will have voted in that hack Adam right to the end.It would be a shame for her to lose to him ,if he won he would have the shelf life of a loaf of bread .I still think Megan is better than most of the remaining singer but not well liked the female crowd.I think the three girls will survive the cut next week with Motown week will Stevie Wonder be the special guest I can see it now.

Posted by Simon Cowell March 19, 09 09:32 AM
  1. Adam has by far the most talent, whether you like him or not, and he will win the contest this year. Head and shoulders above everyone else. I loved his rendition of Ring of Fire, taped it and watched it several times now, never have done that with any other performer.

Posted by Osteama March 19, 09 09:41 AM
  1. She should've DECLINED the offer to sing-to-save-herself,

...leaving A.I. scrambling for something to air for 3-minutes.

Posted by josh March 19, 09 09:44 AM
  1. Megan has a very interesting voice but when she sings a song it sounds like the last one she sang. Don't understand the hoopla over her. I agree they will save her if voted off. Adam singing Motown? What other singer (besides Johnny Cash )will be turning over in his grave?

Posted by Wichita March 19, 09 09:51 AM
  1. Wondering about symmetry with top 10 on tour for dance numbers with 1 on the piano and 9 dancing queens. Wonder had they kept Alexis, would they go on tour with 11: Ten movers and one on the piano. We'll never know. What's up with all these young girls and their babies. I expect if you gave Allison a little more time, she'd join the play-group. I hope the twister misses Megan's trailer. Trashy tattoo. She has no stage presence and an arm resembling Nick Cage's hand in "Moonstruck". Michael was in bottom 2 after Country Night? Whoa! That's like Scott coming up short on Jose Feliciano Night or Anoop voted off on Ravi Shankar Night. It's time for Michael to git along little dogie. Adam is going for the record contract as we speak. I don't think his chances are great as he moves forward because if he stays true to himself, America can't go there with him. Randy Travis (and I love him) was married young, to his manager, who is 25 years his senior. He is married to my bubbe for godsake. If he's not gay, I'm a monkey's idol. Kara is a Somonex tablet with too much makeup...zzzzzzzzzzzz. Carrie Underwood is the real deal. great voice and personality. I cannot imagine Megan with an ounce of that polish. Is that a prosthetic? Was Megan the One Armed Man in "The Fugitive"? Imagine doing a combined Joanna Weiss / Meredith Goldstein Chat for those romantically challanged by American Idol issues? Is this a great country, or what?

Posted by jkstraw March 19, 09 10:20 AM
  1. And another thing... I guess what makes Idol so compelling are all the various componenets that only sometimes come together in a great choice like Carrie Underwood. You've got the likes and dislikes of the voting and non-voting folks at home, world's apart at times. You've got the singers, some with more charisma than talent, week after week hoping for an elusive moment of greatness. Then you've got the judges, whose advice seems more and more irrelevant all the time. Simon is often right on, but you know he will be unreliable, bored and disinterested for Country Music week and anything else he doesn't quite get. What's more self-indulgent than that? Randy said Allison was "dope" (a new one on me) yet she lands in the bottom three. What's up with that, America? Simon is so busy ridiculing everything Paula says that he obscures the sense she makes most of the time. She can be the most astute of all the judges now that Kara has taken her place as "she who speaks jibberish most of the time." Add in the celebrity coaches who often give advice that contradicts what the judges have said. What's a singer to do? Somebody like Adam has enough experience to know his own strengths. I can see how others might not be well served. Hopefully they are all having some fun.

Posted by Glory Bee March 19, 09 10:26 AM
  1. Idol jumped the shark when they added the fourth judge, the "judge save" option only solidified this notion. This season has been a disaster as far as this viewer is concerned.

Posted by tom March 19, 09 10:27 AM
  1. Scott, Meghan, and Anoop should be gone before Alexis, I honestly don't get it.

If they SAVE Meghan I willscream AS her ASSETS continue to leave their mark.

Posted by Ben Karkis March 19, 09 10:36 AM
  1. Ugh...time to stop your crush on Adam. He is absolutely horrible unless he hitting his ultra high note. Have you actually heard his regular singing voice or are you mesmerized by his tight girl jeans and combover?

Posted by mark March 19, 09 10:37 AM
  1. Scott has got to go - I am sorry - how did he make it till the top 10?

Posted by ABK40 March 19, 09 10:37 AM
  1. I loved Alexis' version of "Jolene" - not many people know the song and I thought she sang a very pure version that would make Dolly Parton proud. She deserved to be on the tour. I agree with Joanna - the judges will save "Megan Joy" - who has lost her last name in favor of something more commercial sounding and easier to remember. She is gorgeous, but doesn't need to continue on Idol to find fame and fortune. Megan sounds like she has something wedged in the back of her mouth when she sings - it's very distracting...not to mention that her notes are short - she can't hold them. I loved "Ring of Fire" - Adam's vocal rang is crazy!

Posted by Elaine March 19, 09 10:47 AM
  1. Where is the love for Matt!?!?!?

Posted by Timmy March 19, 09 10:55 AM
  1. I agree on this judges veto BS. You described it perfectly and it is sickening.

Posted by timothyjok March 19, 09 12:00 PM
  1. Whatever respect I had for the show, and it wasn't much, is gone with the judges assessment and good will toward Megan - she is horrific and completely out of her league. Such a joke, and the credibility of the judges is now in the tank. She should be gone already, and yes, Alexis is great and I wish her much success.

Posted by noonie March 19, 09 12:25 PM
  1. Oh, come on guys! Megan is not so bad. She is bright, unique and memorable. What I don't understand is why Scott is still there? Because voters feel bad for him or what? And Matt? He looks like a nice person, but he doesn’t have excellent vocals to be in this show. Kris and Michael – I don’t even remember who is who? They are so fade. They probably have commercial faces, girls like them, but unfortunately I can’t remember their performances. You can’t compare their voice with Allison or Adam, or even Anoop. Danny? I just love him! I think he should win this competition. And he will… Keeping my fingers crossed!

Posted by Irina March 19, 09 12:36 PM
  1. Alexis wasn't going to win. It's a Danny/Adam joint with Matt lurking off to the side.

Motown week - Adam sings Let's Get It On by Marvin Gaye with a ukulele.

Posted by MG March 19, 09 12:53 PM
  1. Many on these boards dislike Adam and think he should not of even participated. He was in Wicked and has experience. Let me remind you there were other contestent in the same situation. I believe Constantine M. in season four was on tour with "Rent" and had a band "Pray for the Souls of Betty."

Posted by mark March 19, 09 01:26 PM
  1. This is my first year ever watching American Idol.

Scott, Michael and Megan should have been in the bottom 3.

I can't believe Michael was saved, but his song was fun and maybe people voted based on their emotion to his song and not his voice.

No way Allison was bottom 3.

Danny, Anoop, Kris, Lil and Matt were top 5 this week.

Why does Paula act drunk/high every week? Why does Simon act like a jerk when on the rare occasion Paula actually does offer legit advice/comments?

Why can't Simon put on a nice shirt for the show? What's with the stretched out t-shirts?

Posted by Mike March 19, 09 01:54 PM
  1. Mark #47- Constantine was in RENT following his AI time. He was in the band but if you eliminated everyone who ever performed with an obscure band you have a pretty thin herd.

Your point it valid though- Taylor Hicks had released an album prior to AI and I know others have had varying levels of professional success as singers. Not sure where the cutoff is or should be but you can usually tell the pros from the true amatures based on polish and presence.

Posted by FinnFann March 19, 09 02:52 PM
  1. Adam should have definitly went home last night. Its like sangaya all over again. The worst part about it is the fact that he actaully has some experience. He has no excuse to be this terrible. And it doesnt end there. The guy is just plain creepy looking. He is a total fake. He tries soo hard to make himself look rocker/emo that it is sickening. Its sad that some people are trying to compare him to other emo/rocker lead singers and thereby burning that groups reputation. I usually like when someone puts a different twist on a song, but that horrible rendition of ring of fire made me throw up. By far the worst top 30 contestant of american idol ever!

Posted by steven March 19, 09 06:53 PM
  1. To me honestly the persons on the show who are the most current and marketable are Allison, Kris and Matt, maybe Adam. They have the looks, voice and could be edgy, quirky and sexy for older buyers of cds and teens.

Posted by MM March 20, 09 02:44 AM

About Viewer Discretion

What we're watching on TV.

Katie McLeod is Boston.com's features editor.

Emily Wright is an Arts & Entertainment producer at Boston.com.

Sarah Rodman is a TV and music critic for the Boston Globe.