Luna | Bombay Bicycle Club Listen Live

'Idol:' Take a good look at my face

Posted by Joanna Weiss  March 25, 2009 09:58 PM

OK, Adam Lambert haters, if you're still out there, come over into my corner so we can have a little talk. I had a feeling that after last week's over-the-top performance, he would play this week smart, come out with some stripped-down version of a song, sing it straight-on, and rock everybody's socks off. And there he was, sans nail polish and eye makeup, doing his best to look like some mix of Joe Jonas and Zac Efron, singing a mostly-falsetto version of "Tracks of My Tears." It wasn't absolutely one hundred perfect (which I only know because I went back and watched it again), but it was vintage Lambert: surprising and challenging and insanely ambitious.

I'm going to make a prediction here: Adam versus Allison in the finals. She's wonderful, too, and fun to watch, gravelly and coarse far beyond her years. You have to admit, she made Danny Gokey look like an amateur tonight. And if she winds up in trouble, the judges will save her, and the voters will be chastened, and they'll fall in line.

(While we're on the subject of the judges, by the way, here's my plea: Can we put a moratorium on the word "artist?" As in "This show is about artistry, and who you are as an artist, and the sort of art you do"? Not only is it fuzzy and meaningless, but now the contestants are starting to pick up on it, and they're not charming when they try to sound pretentious.)

All right, back to the singers. Matt and Kris were probably the third- and fourth-best tonight, but they couldn't come close to the A-team. Anoop sang nicely, but he looked as if he were trying to get a roomful of four-year-olds to take a nap. Lil, as various judges said, picked a song that was too peppy for her voice. Michael is in serious trouble, and he knows it. As for Scott...Well, come on, America. It's time to stop being so nice. You're not usually nice, anyway, so why keep up appearances now?

And then there's Megan. When she started singing "For Once In My Life," grinning madly and hitting perhaps a quarter of the notes, I felt like my internal organs were starting to attack each other.

Hence, my predictions: Megan, Michael, and Lil in the bottom three (because it's still Be Kind to Scott Month.) And Michael will go. And the judges won't save him.

Agree? Disagree? Comment away, then come back tomorrow morning at 10 for our weekly "Idol" chat!

1. My predictions are that it will be Michael and Scott in the bottom two. Somehow Megan has a following. I can't stand her personally!

Posted by maggs8888 March 25, 09 10:56 PM
  1. I totally agree with everything you've said, except, I am not sure about Allison vs. Adam in the finals. I still think Gokey has momentum and appeal that will bring in the finalist votes. I also agree with your assessment of the bottom three, and wholeheartedly agree that it's time America stops being nice to Scott. He has proven to be limited, colorless, and boring, boring, boring.... His charisma is real, but, I would never pay to see him, or buy his songs to listen to. He is pretty mediocre.

Posted by Michele March 25, 09 11:41 PM
  1. Joanna, I'm one of the biggest Adam Lambert haters out there. While I will certainly say he put in a very good performance this week, let's face facts here: that performance was good because it was a departure from the norm where he's concerned. It isn't as if he is no longer the nail polish-wearing, camera-flirting screecher who looks like he's acting out a scene from Phantom of the Opera every time he's on stage. He toned it down this week and did a good job -- credit where due -- but we all know that's not what an Adam Lambert album (*shudder*) would sound like.

Honestly I was just stoked that the judges finally dared to give an honest assessment of Megan. Their weekly praise of her off-key, weird performances was baffling me to the point where I had started to think I'd crossed over into the mirror universe, and I was starting to expect to leave my house and see the pig people from that episode of The Twilight Zone walking around.

All I can say is, Allison had better not be in the bottom three this week, or I really will have lost faith in America's judgment, pig faces or not.

Posted by Andy Anonymous March 25, 09 11:45 PM
  1. After watching the show tonight, I agree that Michael might go, and honestly, I can't say that I would be sad. He is mostly forgetable, except for the fact that he is the only country singer on the show.
    I also agree that Scott is not the greatest singer, he is alright and it is time for him to move on too. But America seems to think that if they vote him off, they are being mean. But come on people, lets be honest, by not judging him the same as you do the others, you are actually being offensive. His handicap should not play into whether he is a worthy contestant on the show.

Posted by Ruth March 26, 09 12:03 AM
  1. My bottom three are Megan, Michael and Scott but I won't be surprised if just one or two of these do end up in the bottom three. I have a feeling the one who gets kicked out won't even be from these three.

Posted by gabe March 26, 09 12:22 AM
  1. Spot on...Michael is the one in the Top 10 who didn't deserve to be there in the first place.

Posted by Politico March 26, 09 05:18 AM
  1. I want to know why Danny blew off Smokey's advice. He said he was going to sing the song properly and then didn't. I have been a Danny fan but that really rubbed me the wrong way....seemd pretty arrogant, yet the judges let it go.

Posted by John March 26, 09 05:28 AM
  1. Adam is the only reason that my husband, 16YO daughter, and I are watching Idol, though Allison is great, too.

Danny has a good voice, but he needs coaching on how to move around the stage. Lil definitely picked the wrong song this week.

If Megan weren't so pretty, she wouldn't still be there, no matter how "current" she is.

Posted by Rocklun March 26, 09 05:52 AM
  1. Can't disagree much with your take, Joanna. I can't stand Adam, but, if I'm being honest, he was the second best performer on the stage last night (right behind Allison, who blew the house down, IMHO). He not only looked human, he sang beautifully (although, it wasn't much different than Smokey's own version, if you listen to the original record by the Miracles).
    And, what is it with the Megan thing? Your internal organs were attacking each other, but mine were virtually shutting down. That phrase, finger nails running down a chalk board? This was that to the 9th power. What is her "style" they keep talking about? Bad singing and phrasing? That's a "style?"
    Scott is a lovely guy, but he's beyond boring at this stage of the game. I missed Michael walking the dog, and apparantly, from the consensus, that was a wise decision. Lil Rounds, what happened? I expect so much more from this girl.
    Aside from Allison, Danny (strictly on ability, not necessarily from last night). Lil Rounds, and, I hate to say it, Adam (who opened some previously closed ears and minds last night-- mine included), the rest of the pack is just that...the rest of the pack.
    Megan has to go home. Please. I beg of you, America. If not, then Michael.

Posted by Mattal1958 March 26, 09 06:06 AM
  1. I worry that America doesn't get it about Allison. That because she isn't typically cute, she won't appeal to the usual voter and the fact that she can sing like Kara said "from God" won't be enough. Really hope I'm wrong. Your assessment of Michael, Scott and Meghan are right on and they were the obvious slackers. Good call on Danny though. Didn't get it until you said it. Thought Anoop came off as a bit smarmy. The ohh baby, baby sincerity is either completely fake, or I suspect makes him uncomfortable. It's like he's playing grown-up. When do the judges tell Kris that his army shirts and guitar don't work? Every week isn't Country Week and the guitar "playing" is mostly pointless. Lil deserves to stay, but she is starting to remind me of another of my favorites, LaKisha, who had a great voice and a tremendous moment or two, but often chose the wrong song and could never quite break out. Love Smokey, but he turned out to be another celebrity less than helper who thought everyone was just great. Couldn't he have done better by Lil, song choice-wise? Adios Scott, Sayanora Meghan, Bye Bye Michael.

Posted by Glory Bee March 26, 09 06:08 AM
  1. WHAT in the whole wide world EVER made the judges put Megan through AT ALL?
    She is completely horrific. COMPLETELY!
    Adam was good last night. Really good.
    Allison was amazing. Danny was boring. I liked Lil's performance.

Posted by iviomxo March 26, 09 06:17 AM
  1. I agree with Rocklun, the only reason I watch Am. Idol is because of Adam Lambert. Last night's performance blew everyone out of the water. If the winner was decided upon by only last night, Adam would be the obvious winner.
    I agree with the judges on Megan, she sounded horrible even though her dress was really pretty (did anyone else notice that she was barefoot?).
    Waiting for next week's performance....

Posted by Reese March 26, 09 06:34 AM
  1. Lil Rounds was FANTASTIC! Where were the judges pulling these ridiculous comments from? "Heatwave" is a "shout-like" song and she nailed it! I think it was just all staged to make it appear that she's really not the strongest every week...because she is! Meagan was TERRIBLE...followed by Michael and Scott. Kris and Danny played it safe and Matt was enjoyable but for the first time I thought Adam did a nice job. This is the route he should take more often! Anoop...what a sweet surprise...this kid's growing one me. My pick of the night...Alison...SHE WAS OUT OF THIS WORLD! This young talent is truly a gifted artist! She had better wint this season!

bottom three: Michael, Scott and Meagan.
    Meagan leaves.

T=DAWG!!!

Posted by tdawg March 26, 09 06:52 AM
  1. scott has to go. get him a christian recording deal and all will be well...

Posted by readbooks March 26, 09 06:57 AM
  1. I think megan absolutly has to go i cannot stand her. Its going to come down to
    Adam and Allison. Allison has such a distinctive voice and Adam is adorable.

Posted by Jacko March 26, 09 06:57 AM
  1. Michael Sarver has got to go! it's been my personal rant since Hollywood week.

Only one goes this week and I'd rather see bland- too earnest- Michael go than Megan, who at least brings a train wreck element to each show.

By the way Joanna have you changed your tune on whether the judges will save her if she's the one axed tonight?

I'll give you Adam's performance last night; very good- but few have ever doubted his talent- it's more his persona- you'll never convince me that Ring of Fire was not self-indulgence to extreme.

Speaking of Adam did anyone else get a strong Kurt Russell (as Elvis) vibe?

Finally, I don't see an Adam- Allison final: I think Adam may get there but I think Alllison will continue to miss the connection needed to go deep- bottom three last week may have been telling. She's good but I just don't see it.

Posted by FinnFann March 26, 09 06:58 AM
  1. I wouldn't know a Jonas or Efron if I saw one. I thought Adam was a dead ringer for a young Kurt Russell, with a little Chris Isaak thrown in--and I thought he was far and away the top performer last night, but I've been a fan from the beginning. Second was Matt, but he might suffer from going first. I'm also a Megan fan from the beginning--I loved her audition. But last night was, as they say, a hot mess. If she does end up singing for her survival, I hope she takes the judges' advice and slows it down.

Danny was way too "Up with People" for me, although I think he's safe.
    Alison was tremendous, as usual, but I would like to hear her mix it up a bit.
    Lil did sound rushed to me, as the judges commented.

Posted by Becky March 26, 09 07:21 AM
  1. I think if you look at the competition as which singers will make the most money for the producers, it has to be Adam [most versatile] and Allison [most growth potential] those are your final two. As much as I don't like his 'gothness' he is hands-down the most talented of all. Danny looks and sounds like a school teacher next to Adam - who sounds like a cross between Freddie Mercury and a host of other unique vocalists. Could you imagine Adam with the band Queen - they would Rock You!

Posted by Mike H March 26, 09 07:22 AM
  1. I agree totally, although I think that Adam had better not overdue the falsetto singing and wind up looking like an ageing drag performer. Allison is a little too tough for a girl her age, for my taste. Conversely Danny Gokey had better stop being such a high school choral director if he wants to win.
    The judges have been total buzz-killers, declaring the winner before the contest has begun in earnest and the feminist in me says that lots of better singers were passed over for the two beautiful girls, making it less of a contest. Maybe this was a marketing decision and the recording world needs a boy singer?

Posted by roberta Gordon March 26, 09 07:24 AM
  1. OK all you Adam lovers. Please tell me what current singer Adam sounds like? All I hear is ridiculous 80's hair band and Color me Badd falsettos.

Posted by Tim D March 26, 09 07:25 AM
    The judges have been total buzz-killers, declaring the winner before the contest has begun in earnest and the feminist in me says that lots of better singers were passed over for the two beautiful girls, making it less of a contest. Maybe this was a marketing decision.

Posted by roberta Gordon March 26, 09 07:25 AM
  1. I agree with you, Joanna, and yes, I am an Adam Lambert hater. I have to admit he was the best last night but after reading others comments here-it was only one night! I was also wondering why Danny didn't do the part that Smokey recommended..oh well..he was still pretty good. Allison was awesome-glad to see her have a great night.

Posted by Wichita March 26, 09 07:29 AM
  1. Not an Adam fan but came around if at least for last night. #16: He definitely reminded me of Kurt Russell portraying Elvis Presley. He kept it very sweet, simple and no over the top belt outs.
    Pretty much with you on everything including pity votes for Scott or Born in the USA votes for Michael; we know who you are and he's way over his head at this point so admit it and stop dialing.
    Alison takes my breath away with her voice. She's an old soul trapped in a 16 year olds body. Had hoped Danny would do a Marvin Gaye song like What's Going On. He was good but could have been great. Megan's looks might spare her yet again.
    Anoop did a nice rendition. Have to say, when he takes it down a notch he does better and when he tries for the up tempo, he comes across Karaoke. The judges reamed him on Michael Jackson week and then suggested last night he go back to that. Why do they insist of sending such mixed messages? I think they just like to toy with the contestants. …and color with crayons while they are singing. These kids for better or worse are putting their hearts and souls into the competition and deserve better.
    Who will go home tonight? Should be Michael tonight, then a tie between Scott and Megan to follow.

Posted by A Dingo Ate My Baby March 26, 09 07:42 AM
  1. I can't take much more of Megan . . . I really don't get her at all. Joanna, I liked your organ analogy - spot on. She sounds like her voice is stuck in her throat or something. I hope that she is at least in the bottom three, really hope that her time is up. Don't ever want to see her sway again.
    Liked Adam last night. I have always thought that he's the best singer in the group. FinnFann, I saw the Kurt Russell thing, too! It took me the whole performance of saying to myself "he looks like someone, but who?" but then it came to me. Glad we could finally see his face.
    Allison, I think is talented, but she rubs me the wrong way. I know that she's only 16 so she isn't "polished" but Jason Castro did the stoner kid thing much better than she does.
    Lil, I didn't think was a bad as the judges thought she was. Anoop, nice voice on the song, but made me sleepy. Matt picked a great song and did a great job. Kris doesn't do much for me. Michael seems like a really nice guy, but I think the end is near for him. If I didn't want Megan to go so much, I'd have him on the hit list.

Posted by Wednesday AM QB March 26, 09 07:44 AM
  1. I am glad that Adam is out to win this competition. (Give the majority of the public something they can sink their teeth in. ) Most great artists can be very polarizing for the listening public, and he certainly does that with each performance. Don't we have enough nondescript performers? I look forward to seeing Adam perform without the constraints of AI, knowing that he will bring talent and commitment to every performance. I know he is not for everyone, and that is what makes him special. If there was ever a time that this country needs over the top entertainment, IT IS NOW!

Posted by greg March 26, 09 07:46 AM
  1. Joanna, you fit in well with the part of America that you say is not nice. Must be great to hide behind a lap top while you criticize people. Enough of reading your "stories."

Posted by Big Jim March 26, 09 07:48 AM
  1. I think the thing is with Megan is she has the talent and this unique voice, but she doesn't know how to use it properly. The potential is there... but she was awful last night. I agree with Kara, she should have sang "My Guy."

I totally see the Allison and Adam finale you're talking about. I'm hoping for an Allison, Adam, Matt, and Kris final four. I think Allison's, Matt's, and Kris's stocks are rising, while Danny's is falling. He was pretty mediocre last night, though I thought the dancing with the backup singers was cute.

Posted by Elly March 26, 09 07:54 AM
  1. I thought Anoop was pretty good. He did tone it down, but I think it was just because of all the comments he got the last time he tried to be peppy.

Posted by Allison March 26, 09 08:10 AM
  1. I totally agree with all of the posters that are saying that Adam resembled Kurt Russell last night. My husband and I both thought the same thing (our 16YO daughter had no idea who we were talking about).

I suspect Adam will get a recording contract even if he doesn't win. I would definitely pay to see him in concert!!!

Posted by Rocklun March 26, 09 08:11 AM
  1. As a non-fan of Adam, I have to say that I really, really liked his performance last night. I am not a big lover of the falsetto singing in general but I thought he was great last night and truly talented. Is he able not to sing in falsetto? I would like to see that. Allison brought the house down. WOW, what a talent, she chooses great songs, has stage presence and has a great voice. I want Lil and Danny to do better because I really like them and I LOVE Matt - he just needs to step it up a bit more but I think he has it in him. Really like Matt. Finally, I was a Meghan fan from the beginning but last night was awful ! What song did the judges say she shouldhave sung? They were right. I really like her voice, she just hasn't found her niche yet. Scott has a mediocre voice. Though, I think he is a really cool person saying, "Well, I want to be a singer/songwriter after this." He has got his act together for a young guy.Guess I am converted to the masses. Enjoy !

Posted by Jason is a Riot March 26, 09 08:21 AM
  1. Has anyone else picked up on how the other judges treat Kara? They all keep their distance from her. Paula can't even look at her and makes faces to Simon as she is talking. It's starting to get uncormfortable. I actually like Kara and think she was a lot to add (agree on the "artist" point though).

Posted by ann March 26, 09 08:28 AM
  1. PS - While we all know that Meghan is gorgeous, I thought she looked like she was going to a luau last night. Where are the stylists? She should be in jeans and a contemporary top - something with a little edge - to match her quirky voice. She is not a "packaged artist" (sorry Joanna) at this point.

Finally, I am not seeing much comraderie with the contestants this year as they have seemed to highlight in past seasons. Too early on? I am FF through too much?

Posted by Jason is a Riot March 26, 09 08:28 AM
  1. Loved Adam last night --- not quite sure why Megan and Michael are still around. And I'm real tired of Scott. I missed the first few people but then went to my boy's house and he was tivo'ing so I caught up on what I missed and fast forwarded through Scott, Michael, and Megan. Those 3 should be in the bottom and any of them could go - I think Megan will get saved though because she's pretty. I thought she was horrid last night, personally.

Posted by SarahBeth March 26, 09 08:28 AM
  1. Not an Adam lover or hater, usually find him interesting, and he definitely has the vocal skills, but I can't always look at him.
    But to answer the question, what current singer does he sound like? When I listen to his voice without the visuals, he's the gay Jonas Brother. Will he be marketable? Who knows.
    Most of the leading guys, Kris, Matt, Anoop and Adam, have a boy band vocal sound. I really wonder what any of them would be recording were they to grab #1 or #2 and be signed by the AI "hit factory". Fresh faced teen pop has worked well for Archuleta, but I don't see that working two years in a row.

Posted by NHMusiclover March 26, 09 08:34 AM
  1. I have just one comment. Learn how to count, Kara.
    "One of the best performances of the night" is eight words, not six.

Posted by Cayt March 26, 09 08:36 AM
  1. Adams performance last night reminded me of Jorge, when the judges originally told him that he has to work on his accent. The following week, he worked on his accent and the judges said they don't know why they told him to change because that's not who he is. "You're a Puerto Rican. Be a Puerto Rican."

Seeing Adam last night, caving to the judges and cleaning himself up, is not Adam. I agree with the other poster who said that last night's performance is not what an Adam Lambert album will sound like. I thought he sang great, and I knew the judges would love him... but I am still hoping he is sent home early. It's not who he is. Granted, his voice is great but Zac Efron Adam can only last so long. And I am so afraid what Elvis Adam will sound like.

Posted by Jodi March 26, 09 08:41 AM
  1. Megan is horrible...I don't know how she made it this far?? Her voice is terrible and she has absolutely NO RHYTHM whatsoever! I'm liking Allison alot...kinda reminds me of Kelly Clarkson with a little more of an edge...I think Danny will go far and Adam has a great voice, but he's a little on the weird side...

Posted by Gina March 26, 09 08:42 AM
  1. Enough with the judges suggestion diffrenet songs after the performance: Megan you should have done My Girl.

Too late Kara- talk about the performance you just saw not the one you wished you had seen.

The judges are making me crazy this year- especially both women. When I saw Kara dancing with Paula last night I wanted to puke. Have some self-respect and try and retain a trace of credibility.

Posted by FinnFann March 26, 09 08:43 AM
  1. Totally agree with Andy Anonymous! If the pig people vote in Megan and vote out Allison, I will count on the judges to use their veto power -- she tore it up with the most challenging Motown pick of the night.

All I have to say about Adam is, congrats on your K.D. Lang look-alike costume. He did sing well (for once), but I still think he is a complete poser. Last year when David Cook did that emo ballad cover of "Billie Jean," it showed true originality and that he would bend the rules of Idol to his own style, sort of like Bo Bice. To me, Adam just morphs into whatever he thinks will be "edgiest" every week, with no integrity whatsoever. Wait, maybe he *will* be successful in the music biz...

Overall I was disappointed with Danny and Lil, who I thought would crush the Motown sound, and was happiest with Kris -- he has perfected the Nonthreatening Guitar Boy thing. Also, Scott finally showed a little zip, and I think he may squeak by -- Megan has the "train wreck" spot all sewn up, finally! Was she wearing a bunch of salt and pepper shakers around her neck?

Posted by serafina March 26, 09 08:54 AM
  1. Finally, people are starting to see that Allison is the real star of teh group. She can sing (sort of a Pink/Kelly Clarkson vibe) and she will sell records (unlike, I'm afraid to say, Adam).

Posted by JoJo March 26, 09 08:58 AM
  1. I like Mike. Would rather see the blind guy go or megan. Allison annoys the f*ck out of me and as far as Danny, I like him but hes getting too too cocky.

Posted by patrick March 26, 09 09:04 AM
  1. Adam and then Allison is THE ONLY reason I was AI. Adam is the best thing to come to AI since Daughtry! ROCK ON ADAM!!!!!

Posted by Cooperman March 26, 09 09:08 AM
  1. I absolutely love Adam, and I have from the start. He is an amazing talent. I don't care about whatever image he is trying to portray. He's a showman. Look how David Bowie dressed and the makeup he wore and how huge he became...look at Elton John's old outfits and Freddie Mercury's jumpsuits. I am excited that we may have an artist that has an amazing talent AND the ability to put on a real show. We don't have artists like that anymore! That being said, If I had my way, I would have Adam drop out now and go get a deal somewhere so he doesn't have to compromise his showmanship and talent just to be any old pop singer.

Posted by Pianodoll79 March 26, 09 09:15 AM
  1. I tried to vote for Adam for three hours after the show ended to no avail. I'm looking forward to his big win and to seeing him at his first gig in LA. He and Allison are the only two I don't TIVO through. LOVE them both. I also like Adam's sweet parents out in the audience. You know they've been footing his bill for years now just waiting for someone to see what they've always seen in their son -- a STAR.

Posted by Karin March 26, 09 09:22 AM
  1. I would like to see a pack of rabis infected wild dogs bite all the " Talent " so the show would be cancelled forever

Posted by simon March 26, 09 09:23 AM
  1. Wednesday AM QB, how on earth do you get the "stoner kid" thing from Allison? What a weird comment. There is absolutely nothing about her singing, her looks or her personality that echoes Jason Castro in any way. She's also a hell of a lot more talented.

Posted by Andy Anonymous March 26, 09 09:44 AM
  1. Adam last night = Jason Bateman

Posted by Joe March 26, 09 09:49 AM
  1. Bottom three... Megan, Scott and Michael with Michael getting the boot although Megan should andI wouldn't cry if Scott was given his walking papers either.

My top three(in order)... Adam, Allison, Danny although I could easily see Anoop at #3.

Adam and Allison are so far above the rest that anything but an Adam Allison fial would be a travesty.

Posted by Otis March 26, 09 09:57 AM
  1. I didn't watch the show and I agree with Joanna.

Posted by jkstraw March 26, 09 09:59 AM
  1. Shocked at the love for Adam. If I wanted to hear a girls voice I would listen to a female singer. He is trying to follow the David Cook guide to success and it is too obvouis.

I don't see Allison winning but I do see her doing well with her music career.

Bottom 3 should be: Michael, Megan and Scott, but I think Lil Rounds or Allison will replace Scott.

Top 2 should be Matt and Danny. I think the final 4 will all be male.

Posted by JS March 26, 09 10:10 AM
  1. Too bad Alexis got kicked off last week - she would have been great on Motown night. I still don't get Megan ... she leaves me cold.

Posted by RozGrl March 26, 09 10:18 AM
  1. Megan, Michael, Scott are the bottom three- Michael goes

Posted by mynameisrobert March 26, 09 10:28 AM
  1. I also was making a comparison of Allison to Pink (who I love) and again, thinks Allison is a great talent. I don't understand what the fuss is about Anoop and Kris is just so vanilla to me AND he is not cute. He is not ugly but vanilla - yawn, ho hum, whatever.

And to agree with another poster about the judges, they are SO rude and show such disrespect for these contenstants. These kids are up there, with their voices and dreams and the whispering that is going on while they are performing or while other judges are critiquing is awful. That whole mustache thing with Simon/Paula was ridiculous. So rude.

Posted by Jason is a Riot March 26, 09 10:28 AM
  1. CARA or KARA, however you spell it drives me nuts. I have no idea why they would bring a 4th judge brings so little to the table. She is just awful.and I hate how she always says CHOPS and YOU CANT TEACH THAT. ugh. sickening....but ok, I agree, Allison and Adam in the finals. Megan will not go yet because she is pretty and quirky and oddly entertaining with her signature body swivel. I think Michael is the one to go tonight....the roughneck's time on idol is OVA.

Posted by Lee March 26, 09 10:37 AM
  1. This is actually Show Biz and Kara has NO Biz on the Show. I don't care if she's a sweetie...she does NOTHING to further the entertainment quotient of American Idol. Nice try...seeyalater! Go dance with the (falling) stars.

Posted by jkstraw March 26, 09 10:40 AM
  1. did i think adam looked like kurt russell channeling elvis? no. but kd land did come to mind. perhaps they will have another shocker tonight and knock off the three or four contestants that just don't belong such as michael, scott, and megan in one fell swoop.

Posted by ameridled March 26, 09 11:06 AM
  1. Even though Adam gave a decent performance last night, my dog was standing on edge throughout it! Please please please don't give this kid a chance to make and promote an album!! Last night was not him anyway, I thought it was so very fake. He gave up who he is to "give them what they want".
    Seriously, if he made an album, would you buy it and listen to it? If he were to win, I'd be embarrassed to tell people I watch the show that produced Adam Lambert.

Posted by Mr.TTTT March 26, 09 11:12 AM
  1. Cooperman (#42) , Adam can't even shine Chris Daughtry's boots - there is absolutely NO comparison! Adam is a glam rocker wannabe with a mediocre screechy voice (who can't hold a candle to Freddie Mercury either), whereas Daughtry is a GREAT rock singer.

Period.

Posted by Linda March 26, 09 11:19 AM
  1. I am DYING for Megan to go! She dances like an awkward chicken and that song choice was terrible for her (and that's my wedding song so I love the song but loathed her performance). My mouth was agape the entire time in shock. Mike is also on his way out which is a relief i am so over him and his lack of talent. I am disappointed about Lil as I love her and hope she's saved.

Above and beyond all the performances last night I am SOOOOO over the childish acts between Paula and Simon! If I were a contestant I would really have a hard time taking those two seriously as they goof off, make snide comments to each other, in Paula's case stumbles her words - then they tell someone they didn't do a great job? How can you take them seriously? Last nights coloring episode was just plain ENOUGH. I need to know what medications this woman is on that allowed her to let Simon draw a mustache on her face - seriously? I hope those two get voted off.

I hope for Danny, Lil, Adam, Allison, Kris and Matt - once it gets down to them it will be hard each week to watch!!

Posted by Eileen March 26, 09 11:32 AM
  1. I like Megan. She's different. Yes she's quirky, but a lot of good non-mainstream artists are. Last night may not have been the best song for her, but like the judges suggested, she would've done better with My Guy. She has more to bring to the table than Michael, thats for sure.

Posted by TJT March 26, 09 01:23 PM
  1. No one is talking about Matt. This kid is sensational, hasa great voice. It is seductive, jazzy, deep and inspirational. He commands the Piano and the voice well and I can see him being in the front pack going to the finish line

Posted by E Hernandez -Miami March 26, 09 02:33 PM
  1. Wow... I have to say I am surprised to see that there are so many Adam-haters out there. I know he is not everyone's cup of tea, but I have to say, he is the most talented on the show right now, along side Allison. I think Anoop is pretty good too when he is really focused.

I know that Adam can be a little weird at times, case and point, his hippy, drug induced, psychedelic version of ring of fire.... what was he thinking? But for the most part, when he sang Michael Jackson's black or white and Mick Jagger's Can't get no satisfaction, and lets not forget his original audition singing Queen's Bohemian Raphsody, he proved to be a good singer and also a good entertainer. I do see him channeling Queen at times. I think if he really takes all the advise Simon gives him and really challenges himself he will blow everyone out of the water time and time again. He just needs to stay away from performances like country week.

I do see the finale as Adam vs. Allison. And I hope I am right. Either way I think that they will both end up with contracts. Or they can give Adam his contract right now and leave room for Allison to just win the competition.

Posted by Ruth March 27, 09 03:11 AM
  1. Cayt (#35): You're spot on! Kara can't seem to count or contribute any valuable input whatsoever. FinnFann (38): Your "puke" line made me laugh til I cried.

As others are slowly suggesting, there seems to be somewhat of a ploy developing insofar as who goes 1st, (order) and a myriad of other factors I see a few of y'all considering.
    If Adam would lose the boring "Goth" mess, he'd stand a far better chance @ #1.

Posted by FloLake March 27, 09 04:48 AM
  1. Linda (#58): Adam Lambert's voice is clearly not to everybody's taste, but to say it's "mediocre" is way off base. His range is enormous...judging by YouTube videos I've seen of some of his non-"American Idol" performances, he has yet to show the AI audience the full range of what he's capable of. I do wish he'd do more singing in his lower register, however, as it's absolutely beautiful to listen to, and would offer a fantastic counterpoint to those effortless high notes of his.

Posted by Sharon March 29, 09 12:16 PM
  1. i love watching adam lambert . last week was breath taking! i am a 50 yr.old grandmother and love watching him perform. he is great! go adam.

Posted by jessie March 31, 09 08:11 AM
  1. I'm glad Megans gone..and quickly forgotten. It bugs me that these people seem to forget they are a part of this huge singing competion and they don't seem to care...' I sang that song cause I loved it' or ' i had a really good time so I don't care what they(the judges)say". Sorry contestants but the ones of you talking like that should remember what a hard journey it was to get where you are and you should have complete respect for what the judges have to say.

Posted by danna April 3, 09 04:08 AM

About Viewer Discretion

What we're watching on TV.

Katie McLeod is Boston.com's features editor.

Emily Wright is an Arts & Entertainment producer at Boston.com.

Sarah Rodman is a TV and music critic for the Boston Globe.