Step | Vampire Weekend Listen Live

'Idol:' Get you out of my head

Posted by Joanna Weiss  April 8, 2009 08:53 PM

Well, I certainly hope that group sing was live and not lip-synched, because I can't imagine the "Idol" producers would record such an awful, discordant performance and then play it back for the world. Kylie Minogue dance tracks are clearly not designed for "Up With People" treatment -- and I suspect there might have been someone throwing those harmonies way, way off. (Also: Frankie Avalon is creepily well-preserved, given that he's got to be pushing 80 70. And while he can't sing anymore, he still has stage presence. Idols, take note.)

Notes on tonight's elimination, meanwhile, come after the jump...

So who were the two judges who wanted Scott to stay? And were they truly serious? And does this disqualify them as judges? And didn't those five minutes of deliberation make for some supremely awkward television?

I'm assuming one of the supporters was Paula, since Scott has always appealed to her rainbow-loving tendencies. I suppose the other one was Kara, who sounded like Paula whenever Scott took the stage. Randy was awfully silent, after all. And we know he can hear off notes.

So thank goodness for Simon and his willingness to be the bad guy. If they're going to use the save -- and they have two more weeks to do it -- they might as well reserve it for Allison. Based on Simon's comments tonight, they might still want to protect Lil, too. I wonder if the producers want to keep her in for gender balance and diversity, as well as for the fact the she has deep reserves of talent, even though she has yet to figure out how to use them.

As for Scott, as I've said before, he seems like a truly nice guy with a good sense of humor, and I wish him well. So long as he doesn't come over to my house and try to sing anything.

1. Wondered too if the judges deliberation was fabricated. They passed it off pretty well but sure felt a bit contrived. Also, have they given other contestants parting words like Paula provided tonight? I think Scott is a great person, just not a great singer. A real cool character. It was nice to see more camraderie amongst the contestants tonight and whew on Matt. He better step up his game. Finally, I like Danny but I am finding his expressions to be "schmarmy," which can also come across as arrogant. Adam was very humble for all the attention loaded on him tonight. I know they did it because he got cut off but the lovefest went on for a bit. Have Fun

Posted by Jason is a Riot April 8, 09 09:39 PM
  1. I actually started to feel like I'd miss The Greatest American Hero during his final song when he started off okay.

Then he hit a few notes that I think shattered some windows and sent the cat scurrying. See ya Scott.

Posted by Swarley April 8, 09 10:24 PM
  1. It was time for Scott to go, but he certainly had a great spirit and lots of class. He should be very thrilled to have been in the top 8 of tv's highest rated show.

Idol copped out by giving the other 3 judges a chance to critique Adam's performance, without apologizing for going over by 8 minutes and ticking off millions of fans. No surprise, though.

Posted by Dianne April 8, 09 11:03 PM
  1. I have a little different perspective on Scott last night. I agree that he has hung on mostly because of the "pity vote", but I have to give him props for his performance last night. He took the mike without the "crutch" of the piano or guitar, and I believe he actually sang better than the previous night. I actually believe that his courage in that moment may have played a part in that pretentious "we're not sure" ruse that the judges put on. I think that they were wondering for a few moments about a possible PR backlash for not using the save, but then either came to their senses, or figured that the delay in their decision was enough to overcome the possible PR backlash.

Posted by JTR April 9, 09 12:56 AM
  1. I also wonder about the judges' deliberation. However, Paula seemed genuinely upset with Scott leaving. I do believe Paula would have used her vote for him to stay; but, I believe Paula would have used her vote for almost any contestant because say what you want about the woman, but she has a heart and seems genuinely concerned for these young artists. I believe the only contestants that the judges would save are Allison or Adam. Though, I could see them waiting until the final week that they could use it and use it on whoever so they can get in an extra week on the show. Unless they plan on voting off two contestants the following week after using the save. I'm glad Scott is gone also. Nice guy, but didn't belong in the final 12.

Posted by causewaychaos April 9, 09 05:02 AM
  1. I for one am glad they did not waste their one save. Scott was not going to improve and has been mediocre all along. Lil has yet to impress me. Week after week I have not been wowed. Anoop is ok too but I think the bottom 3 last night was the forshadowing of the next two weeks to come.
    the other 4, Adam, Allison, Scott, Matt, and Kris, will be who they would use the save for. They all bring something to the competion.
    Let the blood bath beguin!

Posted by corneila codpiece April 9, 09 05:16 AM
  1. Scott should have walked off the stage during his last song. He definitely would have gotten the save.

Posted by mike April 9, 09 05:34 AM
  1. Two things on Ms. Pickler's performance:
    (1) commendable that she performed "live".
    (2) did she hit ANY right notes during that song? I woke up this morning, and my ears have yet to recover. I may need to see an Eye, Ear, Nose & Throat Specialist if this doesn't clear up.

Oh, and as for Idol, they did the right thing by ending it for Scott. He's on the tour, so that should be his consolation prize. But he had zero chance of going much further.

Posted by Mattal1958 April 9, 09 05:50 AM
  1. Nice guy, nice guy, nice guy, nice guy. Yeah, we get it Scott is a nice guy.

Too bad he struggled mightily as a singer. Thankful he's gone. And frankly, his pleading to be saved made me think that he's not quite self-aware enough. I mean clearly Megan earlier this year, as well as Sanjaya, Amanda O. and John Stevens of previous season knew they had over stayed their welcome and were relieved to me dismissed. Scott, I think you should have been thankful for the extended run and stood quietly while the judges deliberated.

That being said; no way the judges were actualy considering saving him, right?
    I looked at the clock and there were still five minutes to go, the producers had to be telling them to stretch it out.

And maybe the bad news should have come from Randy or Kara (Paula would never do it) just to mix it up.

Posted by FinnFann April 9, 09 06:09 AM
  1. Yep, those bad notes near the end of Scott's song definitely sealed it for him. He seems like a nice guy, but this is supposed to be a talent competition, and he had the least amount of talent among the remaining contestants.

I'm really hoping for a top 3 of Adam, Allison, and Chris. Danny has a good, Michael Bolton-like voice, but he comes across as arrogant to me, and I think he has very little stage presence. I don't remember the last time Lil had a good week--her Tina Turner imitation was embarrassing. Anoop does a great job with the slower songs, but I cringe every time I see him doing anything that requires him to move around the stage. Adam is always fantastic. I've never seen anyone on AI with this much vocal talent.

Last night, Kelli Pickler showed us why she didn't come close to winning AI. All I could think was "nails on a chalkboard." Also, I thought Ryan was going to have to throw her off the stage!!

Posted by Rocklun April 9, 09 06:28 AM
  1. When push came to shove, Paula and Kara went completely soft and sentimental. Yes, thank goodness for Simon, who saw the real potential impact of their actions - the real talent they couldn't save in the coming weeks if they saved Scott - and was able to cut through the pity party and send Scott home. The problem with pity is that it does no one any good. Scott would have been much better served had he been treated with genuine respect and sent home with some real advice from the judges: "Look at how popular you are, people relate to you, love you, admire you. Go home, hire a teacher, take some time and learn how to sing. When you do, the skies the limit. "
    Who would the judges save? Obviously they'll think hard over Lil. She needs to get her act together or she won't deserve it. Would they save Matt or Danny?
    Absolute yes on a save for Allison or Adam. Though if Adam didn't flunk out after "Ring of Fire", my guess is he won't. As the guy in the shrubbery used to say, "very interesting."

Posted by Glory Bee April 9, 09 06:34 AM
  1. Got the B3 right in my AI pool but thought Anoop would go and that Scott would be saved by the VFTW geeks and those that feel a vote for the blind will send them to heaven. However, America got it right... good job America!! Now if we can get rid of Lil and Anoop we'll have a decent 4-way battle for 3rd and 2nd between Kris, Matt, Danny & Allison. Yes, my ENTIRE family has ordained Adam our #1 already. And, anything less than an Allison/Adam final is a farce. In fact, the only reason we continue watch the entire performance night is to get input for the AI pool. Never know what ADAM will do, but EVERY performance of his is a spectacular EVENT and Allison’s distinct voice is well above the rest who are just decent karaoke singers with a mic. Also, we skip the extremely BORING results show for terrific episodes of LOST.

Posted by Otis April 9, 09 07:23 AM
  1. #5- causewaychaos- the save will not extend the show's run. They have already stated that if the save is used, the next week two people go.

GB- I think the judges would absolutely save Danny- I doubt they'll have to though. I'm more curious as to whether they'd save Matt and/or Kris if they were at the bottom.

Posted by FinnFann April 9, 09 07:48 AM
  1. I have more of a question than a comment: I missed the episode where they shared the "rules" for the save. If they use it, does that extend the show's run for one more week, or does that mean *two* people get voted off the following week? If it's the former, then they are definitely saving it. If it's the latter, then I would be surprised that they didn't waste it on Scott given their sympathies for him. I am one of the folks that is quite happy to see him go.

What I don't understand is why the total lack of a recap of the prior night's performances, especially in light of the injustice done to Adam? I think they need to take another look at how the show is being run, because there was some really long-winded commentary on Tuesday night that caused the show to run over.

Posted by Andrew April 9, 09 08:32 AM
  1. Joanna, give poor Frankie Avalon a break! He's 69! (born 1939) -- that's nowhere near pushing 80!

Posted by teen angel April 9, 09 08:37 AM
  1. I'm not sure I even like the idea of the judges having a save. They get to pick all the contestants at the beginning and they should continue to let America pick the American Idol... It just adds more akward bantering between the judges.

Posted by gigi April 9, 09 08:41 AM
  1. It was time for Scott to go. Actually, he should have been gone a couple of weeks ago. But, the politically correct continued to vote for the blind kid until it really could not go on any longer without seeming like a "pity" move. We have to be careful -- and Paula's comments came close -- not to patronize the Scotts of the world. They have skills, talents, etc. They deserve, and want, to be evaluated, criticized, rewarded, etc. for those abilities as would anyone else.....

Posted by Bugaboo April 9, 09 08:46 AM
  1. How appropriate that during last night's celebration of our exodus from Egypt, America was celebrating Scott’s exodus from American Idol. Not even Pharaoh used his save card…

Posted by jkstraw April 9, 09 08:51 AM
  1. They needed to hold their only save for one of the top singers just in case they are voted out in the next two weeks. Simon was absolutely right that it was not just about Scott, but it was about the others as well. It would truly be a disaster if one of the top singers gets voted out in the next two weeks and they already used their one save on Scott. Scott was a good and likeable guy, but he went about as far as he should have.

Posted by EdA April 9, 09 08:51 AM
  1. My problem with the save: The contestant is "singing for his life", while the judges are "deliberating". I know all four are more special than us, but I certainly couldn't listen and deliberate at the same time. If this were a "real" sing-off, the contestant would perform, with the judges at rapt attention, then we'd get a verdict "After The Break". More like on "Dancing with the stars" where the contestants sweat nervously in the green room with what's her name.

And if the Ford commercials were any less cheap this year, I'd call my Congressman and tell him to vote no on the bailout. The "Making of the Ford Video" was more professional than the actual ad.

Posted by NHMusiclover April 9, 09 09:10 AM
  1. I want Adam and Allison in the final 2 ... imagine the "sing-off"!

BTW, Tears for Fears is touring the West Coast, right now. I think they should bring them back in for the finals so they can sing with Adam ... but would they want to sing "Shout", instead?

If they pair Allison with Heart, I'll turn off the TV. Unlikely they would do so, since Ann Wilson was on, before. Maybe Kelly Clarkson, instead. Or, Grace Slick?

Posted by John Keith April 9, 09 09:33 AM
  1. It was the right decision 4 weeks too late. The judges went a bit easier on Scott because I'm not sure they knew how to handle criticizing without offending the PC people. Wish they had treated Scott just like any other contestant and that would have been more respectful. Much as I wanted him to go, last night was like waiting for the death row pardon call...and not hearing the phone ring. So they went easy on Scott throughout the competition and then rather cruelly dangled him on stage for many awkward moments.
    AI needs to cut the hokey opening song segment - horrid and painful to watch. Kelly Pickler performed why? Oh yeah, to promote an album with Taylor Swift.

Posted by A Dingo Ate My Baby April 9, 09 09:38 AM
  1. why did Flo Rida perform?

He's pure trash!

Posted by daviddancer April 9, 09 09:43 AM
  1. Frankie Avalon can't sing "anymore?"

Ummmmm...like, since birth.

Posted by Bob April 9, 09 09:50 AM
  1. The highlight of my night was seeing Frankie Avalon. He was wonderful, alot better than any of the idols!

Posted by Barbie's Dream House April 9, 09 09:54 AM
  1. Hey, Teen Angel - thanks for pointing out my bad math on Frankie Avalon. But he was still pretty pitchy last night, yo.

Posted by Joanna April 9, 09 09:55 AM
  1. I really don't get the love for Adam... maybe its because my ears no longer work as well after his first couple of shrill, shrieking performances. Personally, I thought this week was his best performance - since my DVR missed him altogether. Give me a Danny-Allison final, please.

Posted by Mike April 9, 09 09:57 AM
  1. @Joanna -- Okay, I'll give you that Frankie wasn't that great , but he was nowhere near as dreadful as Kelly Pickler!

Posted by teen angel April 9, 09 10:06 AM
  1. Gigi ;
    You are spot on. The judges picked their 36 favorites for America not the other way around. It's a lie when Seacrest says: "America these are your favorites" when America had nothing to do with the top 36.

Then we were forced to swallow 3 horrible wild cards in Anoop, Meghan, and Jasmine. Because they had the "total package" which was never there.

I stand by Adam and Allison as 20 steps above and everbody else should go home. Start a 3 week head to head sing off or bring back some other people besides these 7.

Posted by Ben Karkis April 9, 09 10:13 AM
  1. I'm seriously glad that Adam was booted to the next hour on Tuesday night so I didn't have to watch it. He screeches - that's *not* singing. Even on the little bit I saw online on playback. He should stick to Broadway (or off-off Broadway, as I'm not sure he's good enough for Broadway either). Those that think he's going to sell lots of albums are delusional.

And I'm even MORE glad that I watch "Lost" on Wednesday night at 9pm, so I didn't have to see Kellie Pickler or Frankie Avalon. WTH is up with having HIM on the show?

American Idol has jumped the shark this season, I think. Allison is the best singer and performer overall, and yet I don't think she'll win...they'll give it to Adam... who will end up like Ruben Studdard - performing in Dorchester doing "Ain't Misbehavin'" on a local stage.

Posted by Linda April 9, 09 10:14 AM
  1. Teen Angel: As Randy would say, I agree 1,000 percent.

Posted by Joanna April 9, 09 10:20 AM
  1. America finally got it right. Lil, Scott and Anoop (although Anoop sounded good) were the worst performers this week. The Kylie Minogue group sing was embarrassing. Yes, there was most certainly someone screwing up the harmonies - LIL and Scott! Lil goes flat at the end of every phrase she sings. She only gets on pitch when she has one long extended high note. Idol producers will save her because they do not want only one female left in the competition. But, Lil does not deserved to be saved. While Scott sometimes has "sweet" moments at the piano and an occasional on pitch performance, he does not have a pop voice. He has no control over his voice and both attempts this week at that high note were excruciating.

The final four will be Adam, Danny, Kris and Alison (because of the judges' save, which she deserves). Thankfully, they are the 4 best singers in the competition.

Posted by briguy April 9, 09 10:21 AM
  1. The save won't be a big issue much longer. It seems obvious that Lil/Anoop are next to go, with Matt/Kris next. You'd think Danny/Adam/Allison would be saved if Lil/Anoop are still on the show. After that with just 5 people left, saving is really moot.

Posted by MG April 9, 09 10:34 AM
  1. Now read this carefully:

1. The show is a game show, not a talent show
    2. It is completely scripted, so there are no "shocks", "surprises", or "saves"
    3. Refer back to point 1.

Posted by Dot April 9, 09 10:37 AM
  1. Lets face it guy Adam is going to win Allison will be runner up and 3d place goes to LiL. so why I will tune out till the final 3 weeks because this is just painful.
    worse season ever - Well that's my opinon anyways

Posted by Meme April 9, 09 10:42 AM
  1. I think the fake deliberations went on so long because, unlike the night before, they were running short and needed to fill a couple of minutes. It's fake because I'll bet the judges decide before the show who will be saved.

Posted by HC April 9, 09 10:54 AM
  1. why did Flo Rida perform?

He's pure trash! I totally agree with this statement daviddancer.
    Everyone is trashing pickler and the vocals were not good, but what the hell was that crap the yo yo Flo was doing. Someone tell these guy's to get the microphone out of their mouth and pull up your pants. that's not talent.

Posted by Red April 9, 09 11:06 AM
  1. DOT (#34)-

It's not a game show- it's a TV show. A reality TV show which, we all know by now, means that parts are scripted, other portions are influenced by producers and some segments are completely spontaneous.

Therefore, there are surprises (see Michael Johns last year), the producers like the surprises because it keeps people tuning in . . . which begs the question why do you watch if it's such a farce? Do you only get Fox at your house?

And Meme (#35) - no way Lil makes top three- have you been watching- she gets worse ever week.

Posted by FinnFann April 9, 09 11:30 AM
  1. Scott is definitely a "nice" guy, but, I agree it was his time to go. I was soooo hoping the judges wouldn't use their save on him and was a bit surprised (and upset actually) that they even considered using it on Scott.

I mean, had they used it, two people would go next week, and, let's face it, one of them would've been Scott anyway. So, it would've just prolonged his "dismissal", and, would've spelled disaster for someone else, like maybe Kris (who legitimately should be saved) because the judges save wouldn't be viable anymore.

I have yet to understand the adoration for Danny Gokey. Ugh. He's smug, annoying, and I don't think he's got that great of a voice.

Posted by Dan April 9, 09 11:59 AM
  1. Am I the only one who thinks that Flo Rida's song is TOTALLY OBSCENE??

Posted by kelly April 9, 09 12:28 PM
  1. I agree Scott was ready to go a few weeks ago, but I think that the so-called 'pity' vote is the wrong way to look at it. I feel that many people understand the difficulties that Scott must face daily throughout his entire life, and that to get into the top 12 at AI is truly an accomplishment. Their votes demonstrate their appreciation and recognition of this achievement.

Posted by Ben April 9, 09 01:46 PM
  1. Flo Rida sux. Couldn't understand 99% of what he was saying. Don't understand how they are allowed to make records.

Posted by megan April 9, 09 01:50 PM
  1. hmm my 2 cents worth,
    Scott was horrible as bad as megan, and does she actually think that arm tatoo makes her look cool or something? she looks like a junkie.
    as to the adoration that dan doesnt understand about danny gokey, i dunno could be the dead wife thing, perhaps. And if you dont think he has a good voice?
    wow. imnot saying the best or anything but, everyone who is left has serious chops. so anyway heres my personal observations, and then flame away.
    1. Chris and Anoop are too generic. great voices, but balad singers are a dime a dozen and not pop idols.
    2. Matt- could go either way, maybe he can stick to the justin timberlake thing and make it, i dont think so, but it could happen. reminds me of an elliot yamin type, might have a semi hit.
    3. Lil- no way wil she win, thanks to jordin i think they realize what so much inexperience gets. she is self destrcuting because she doesnt understand what she is doing. 2 more years of pro teaching and she will be amazing.
    4. allison-has a real shot if they cn pretty her up a bit, she has the pies but needs style. is she goth is she glam is she cyndi lauper or siouxsie sue? could get a push though , might make it to the top 3.
    5. dany gokey- pretty, marketable and can sing a wide range. definetly in the finals, probably win it all IMO.
    6. Adam- Defintely the most talented. wouldve made an incredible singer in the late 70's for metal bands. like early ozzy, (listen to the early sabbath and led zeppelin and tel me adam wouldnt be perfect there.)
    However-and this will get me flamedim sure. I do not belive his attitude and strangeness will let him go far enough. Thee are not hot girls to yell out how hot he is, unless they are dense, an openly gay male idol, will not happen. he will do very well on broadway though. God i hope he doesnt sing in drag later in life, sigh.

Posted by Steveh April 9, 09 01:58 PM
  1. I have a suggestion: Each contestant should be able to have a "wild card" shut the judges up night. If one of the judges is painfully going on and on ripping them to shreds they should say they want to turn in their wild card...

Posted by gig April 9, 09 01:59 PM
  1. omg it was totally obsene. i was watching with my 13 year old granddaughter who said she couldnt beleive they were singing that song..i was embarrassed..couldnt beleive AI would let that trash song air on their show with all the young kids that tune in.

Posted by joyce b. April 9, 09 02:26 PM
  1. I really don't know what the hype is with Adam? He is scary and weird looking, screeches like a crazy cat, and moans alot (feels like Im watching porn or something). I shiver and want to throw up when I hear his voice.

Posted by Tata April 9, 09 05:33 PM
  1. Kelly and Joyce: did you like Lady GaGa's song last week? Did it offend you? Because I think "I'll get him hot, show him what I got" and "bluffin' with my muffin" would disturb you more than the lyrics from that Flo-Rida tune... but maybe not.

Why was he on? Because his song is popular on the charts, and is making money. C'mon people - think a little bit before you post.

Posted by Chris April 9, 09 05:40 PM
  1. Fairly new to this American Idol thing - got hooked with David Cook last year & just love Adam this year. I'm curious- is the show rigged? Seriously, has the winner already been decided and is this voting thing merely a ploy to get people to watch?

Posted by globe teach April 9, 09 06:51 PM
  1. Good idea, gig (#44), or how about a "no judges night" when viewers get to vote without being swayed by the swill pouring out of the judges' mouths.

Posted by HC April 10, 09 05:52 AM
  1. These new "idols" can only hope to have the career that Frankie Avalon along with his "golden" buddies, Bobby Rydell and Fabian have had....it was great to see him, and I love the way the judges jumped to their feet when he came out! Good for Idol for remembering those who carved this path before!

Posted by Redsoxgal April 10, 09 07:07 AM
  1. Chris, I didn't say I was offended, I said the lyrics, "you make my head spin round/when you go down" seemed to be obscene. Yes, Lady Gaga's song is raunchy, but there's a difference between innuendo and a blatant reference to a sexual act -- OVER and OVER and OVER again. I was just surprised to see that on national television, as I'm surprised every time I hear it on the radio. People get all hot and bothered about Britney Spears "If You Seek Amy" but I haven't heard ANYONE say a peep about Flo Rida.

Posted by kelly April 10, 09 08:00 AM
  1. I'm gunning for an Alison/Kris/Adam top 3, which will be the only group where I will genuinely enjoy their performances.

And of course, hoping Adam wins since he is far and away the most interesting, charismatic and talented one I've seen in awhile. Yes I would most definitely buy his music and YES I would most definitely buy tickets to an Adam Lambert concert. The idol producers should be very thankful he's on their show, otherwise this season might have turned into quite the bore.

Posted by Jade April 13, 09 04:55 AM
  1. Hi Joanna - From Perez - a very reliable source :)

Yet another American Idol alum has nabbed a record deal!

Last year's third runner-up from the competition, Jason Castro, has signed on with Atlantic Records to release his debut album later this year!

Castro reached #1 on iTunes last spring with his rendition of Over The Rainbow after performing the tune on Idol's stage.

The album will feature tracks penned by current AI judge Kara DioGuardi and Grammy award-winning songwriter John Fields as well as a slew of other songwriting giants in the industry.

Congrats!

Let's hope your album isn't a total bomb!

Posted by Jason is a Riot April 13, 09 07:22 PM
  1. Adam, you only lost becouse 7 to 13 year old girls were aloud to use their cell phones. You without a doubt are the clear singing idol!

Posted by keith May 20, 09 09:19 PM

About Viewer Discretion

What we're watching on TV.

Katie McLeod is Boston.com's features editor.

Emily Wright is an Arts & Entertainment producer at Boston.com.

Sarah Rodman is a TV and music critic for the Boston Globe.