Seasons (Waiting on You) | Future Islands Listen Live

'Idol:' Going gaga

Posted by Joanna Weiss  April 1, 2009 09:30 PM

A transparent piano filled with pink bubbles. Maybe that's what Paula was talking about a few weeks ago when she struggled to define what Scott needs onstage. Lady GaGa was...dynamic. David Cook remains a mensch. And one more Idol is sent packing, which I'll talk about after the jump.

So Vote for the Worst has limited power. Millions of aching eardrums prevailed. And "Idol" will no longer broadcast the sound of a goat submerged in a kiddie pool, since Megan is going home. She was awfully confident on the way out, reprising her "Rockin' Robin" caw-caw sound (with arm flaps) and telling Simon she didn't care about his criticism -- to which he later growled, "Nor do we." And so the woman the judges once promoted feverishly as a "current," "relevant," "quirky," "original" "package artist" wasn't even offered the illusion that she could save herself by singing. Three weeks ago, the judges might have used their veto on her behalf. But I knew they wouldn't do it tonight. Even before she insulted Simon.

Still, she seemed content and pleased with herself, partly because she's happy to be returning to her son, and partly because she's just happy to be Megan. She makes me think of a recent "30 Rock" episode, "The Bubble," in which Jon Hamm plays a man so handsome that no one ever criticizes him, even when he serves salmon marinated in Gatorade. Maybe Megan, too, lives in the bubble. Maybe before Simon and the gang came along, no one told her she couldn't really sing. Ah, well. She can do county fairs in Utah when the "Idol" tour is done.

And so it goes. Next week, "Idol" does its best to make the rest of America feel old with its annual "sing a song from the year you were born" week. Guesses for Adam Lambert? 1982 or 1983, by my calculations...

1. Under all Adam's makeup is a 75 year old man, I think. So, 1934, actually. Maybe "Stompin' at the Savoy".

Posted by John Keith April 1, 09 10:45 PM
  1. Does it seem like the group performances are lip-sync'd now? they dont even look decent with respect to timing (although they sound much better this way!)

Posted by Bill April 1, 09 11:36 PM
  1. Cook's performance was boring and bland, and this new song of his is so monotonous... Adam Lambert is casting a long rock shadow this year, and he obliterated Cook without singing or uttering a single note... I was mentally comparing he and Adam during his performance, and Cook comes up short in charisma, vocal talent, stage presence and showmanship... Never realized Cook is so one dimensional.... Lambert is proving to be the total package as a rocker, Cook is the American Idol manufactured version of what they think a rocker should be - and I aint buying what he's selling... Lambert all the way.

Posted by Jelynda April 2, 09 12:02 AM
  1. Adam Lambert resumes the role of vote for the worst which is fitting because he sounds like a flock of seagulls ... NOT to be confused with the flock of seagulls.

Posted by doug April 2, 09 12:37 AM
  1. Personally, I think Simon was a bit of an ass last night. Why not at least give the illusion he and the other judges cared? Aren't they supposed to? Isn't that what this is about - oh wait, I forgot. It's about them, not the contestants.

Personally, if I were Megan, I would have refused to sing my "swan song" in an "if you don't give a crap, why should I?" moment. But that's me.

This show is becoming more and more about the (now) 4 people off stage, and it's annoying. Because personally, I watch for the singers, not to see what drug Paula is on this particular week, or to hear Randy "dude" people to death.

And, Joanna - you very easily throw Megan's ability to sing under the bus, but conveniently skip past the part about the "judges" putting her through to Hollywood, and then onto the show itself. You don't think she can sing - that's fine. But blame them for subjecting you to her, not her.

Posted by Chris April 2, 09 06:13 AM
  1. I'm just so relieved that Megan is gone, I can't even worry about the rest of it . . . Except to ask, why did Lady GaGa have a zipper on her eye?

Posted by Wednesday AM QB April 2, 09 06:30 AM
  1. Where do I get a zipper patch? I might want one for both eyes. If he's being honest, Simon thinks it was indulgent nonsense. Was there a melody in there anywhere? Couldn't take eyes off her though.
    Megan really was insufferable - cocky, delusional, and just as happy with herself as she could possibly be. And it got worse every week. That's what went wrong with this country. Mediocre people who believe they and everything they do is special. A little self-effacing shyness is sometimes in order. Makes you wonder that the judges could have been so wrong in their praise as she never, not once, lived up to the hype.
    When does America stop with the Scott pity vote? Like Megan, he has yet to have a performance on any level that should have him in the top eight. He's just not that good. Anoop is probably next to go. I really don't think he's capable of a truly great performance. So far, Lil seems to have her following no matter how she does. Has she ever hit the bottom three? Don't get the Matt rebound. Happy to know that the judges would use their save on Allison as America seems a little too anxious to throw her under the bus and would rather have Kris. I understand the appeal, but if we're telling the truth, he's about to hit his head on the ceiling. Allison's mom in the audience is almost as cute as she is.

Posted by Glory Bee April 2, 09 06:37 AM
  1. "my poker face", "my my poker face"....LOL...Props to Lady Gaga...what a ball of energy!

The right person went home...but please tell me why Allison found herself in the bottom? My gut is telling me that this routine will continue until the judges ultimately make use of that silly "save" card. She will win this season, no doubt!

Scott...I still can't ...I just can't. Adam turns my stomach and Kris is not going anywhere due to the fact that he'll get all of the cougar votes. Anoop and Matt seem decent and Lil has become over-rated. Gokey was a fav of mine...now he just bores me...he also needs to chill out on the late night pizza cravings.

Kara deserved every "boo" she got...she just doesn't belong. I'm aniticpating the day when Paula's med's make her lash out and finally she and Kara will duke it out. AND also maybe at that same time she and Simon could finally give in to thier hidden temptations and french kiss (haven't used that term since jr high lol)!

If Allison does not take the title this year...I'll become a fan of Celebrity Rehab instead, where maybe in the future, we'll find Paula.

Posted by TDAWG! April 2, 09 06:57 AM
  1. Did anyone else notice that the judges were not even there for David Cook's performance? I know he was recorded a couple weeks ago to air last night, but if you have it on DVR, watch it back and look closely at the judges' table. There are four people sitting there, but they are definitely not the real judges. They are very careful not to show them in closeup, and the lighting is noticeably dark. The Randy Jackson stand-in is particularly funny since his neck is about half the size of the real guy. And a performance where Paula doesn't get up and clap and dance? Can't be her :)

Posted by Looking Closely April 2, 09 07:12 AM
  1. I have to say this: Lady GaGa was a bit "weird" ---in a funky way- but damn if I didn't come away liking her more than I did after just hearing her dance tracks on the radio.

There is no way Kris's votes were lower than Scott's. I do think they might play with the bottom three and put one person there to manipulate next week's voters or shake things up.

Posted by toots April 2, 09 07:33 AM
  1. Megan had to go, that is undeniable. I'm not so sure she really did care. I think she's a bit of a flake, a free spirit and perhaps had enough of the weekly criticism and the AI stylists trying to package her into a “look" that did not suit her. She might not be coming to a lounge near you any time soon but she could get a modeling career of sorts from the exposure. Simon behaved petty and scorned and would not look at her while she sang her swan song. The entire episode was uncomfortable from the caw-caw bird strut to her singing in the judges faces at the end.
    I still don't get Alison being in bottom three unless the votes have more to do with her outfits than her singing. Scott needs to go next or I am going to be using the mute button until he’s voted off and to make it worse he looks like Eraserhead. And is it me or does he always look as though he just smelled a soiled diaper?

Posted by A Dingo Ate My Baby April 2, 09 07:46 AM
  1. Chris, I can't believe you think Simon's attitude toward Megan was unjustified after her rude and self-righteous comment to him earlier in the show. I am so thankful to America that she, her fake "look how much I don't care" smile and wave every time she got bad news, and her god-awful singing are gone.

Also, Jelynda, while I agree that David Cook's song wasn't very good, putting Adam Lambert above him as a rocker involves about a metric ton of wishful thinking. Anyone who says with a straight face that they'd buy an album consisting of music like Adam's is lying to themselves.

Looking Closely, great observation!

Posted by Andy Anonymous April 2, 09 07:50 AM
  1. I had to look up "Mensch" in the dictionary because I wasn't sure what it meant but the dear writer, Joanna, gave David Cook a really very nice compliment, she said "David remains a mensch." Here's what it means: A mensch literally means "a person" in Yiddish, but figuratively it means something much deeper. A mensch is a person with whom you would be happy to befriend and associate with, because you feel genuine in a mensch's presence. A mensch is a highly evolved human being. Menschlichkeit (the art of the mensch) has nothing to do with looks, with wealth, with success or with intellect. A mensch exudes a certain magnetism that attracts us, whether or not words or glances are exchanged. A person is a mensch because he simply makes others feel good.

Posted by Brenda April 2, 09 07:53 AM
  1. Lady GaGa was great. I'm glad she actually sang instead of lip-synched, and loved that she started at the piano. The Piano and Voice version of Poker Face is amazing, check it out on YouTube.

I love next week's theme. I was hoping Adam (born in 1982) was going to sing Don't Stop Believing, because he's said in interviews that he really wants to sing it, but I doubt that will happen because it was the group song last night. In case anyone is interested, here are the birthdays of the contestants (from mjsbigblog.com)

Adam Lambert - January 29, 1982
    Allison Iraheta - April 27, 1992
    Anoop Desai - December 20, 1986
    Danny Gokey - April 24, 1980
    Kris Allen - June 21, 1985
    Lil Rounds - November 14, 1984
    Matt Giraud - May 11, 1985
    Megan Corkrey - August 5, 1985
    Scott MacIntyre - June 22, 1985

Lots from 1985 (makes me think of the song…). If someone sings “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go” I’ll be happy – would love to see Kris put his spin on that. 1992 had a lot of rap and hip-hop, so I’m wondering what Allison will sing.

Posted by Elly April 2, 09 07:56 AM
  1. To all of those Adam Lambert fans - I'd be curious to see how many of his albums you will own ten years from now. My guess is one (tops)... but I could be wrong.

Posted by JoJo April 2, 09 08:37 AM
  1. Sadly one of these stiffs is the next American Idol I do not think any of them will have a long shelf life, most of the performances on tuesday sucked I do not know why Lil Rounds chose that horrible Celine Dion song with all the choices and she picks that song.I thought Anoop should have been booted last night but his time is coming like all of them.Megan was never going to win ,but she made an ass out of herself last night,Scott should have been booted long ago enough already.Most of the idiots that vote are swayed by the self centered judges ,like when Kara(how many ways can I say artist) says oh Meg you could be in trouble in this competition
    And when that babbling idiot Paula compared Adam to Mick Jagger and Steven
    Tyler just how drugged out is she.One more thing having worked nights and never really seeing the show full time until this year I guees I have not missed much in the past hopefully who ever wins it all saves the money because fame is fleeting
    How the hell did David Cook sell a million copies of his CD unless it was meant put you to sleep.

Posted by Keith Richards April 2, 09 08:58 AM
  1. Thanks, Brenda, for the Mensch definition. I had an "idea" of what it meant, but looking it up was on my to-do list for today!

Posted by Wednesday AM QB April 2, 09 08:58 AM
  1. Was so glad to see Megan go last night - it was time. And this morning when I saw her on Fox 25 talking to Doug Meehan, she had an air of "oh, I knew it was coming, it was fun while it lasted" - I get the sense she didn't really care to be there and away from her kid. I turned off the singout last night because I preferred my ears to remain intact, but still.

Loved D. Cook's performance, even if it was prerecorded (which I believe was done because he's on tour and he had a few days free a few weeks ago when he could get back to LA" - the song he performed is my favorite off the album. :)

Posted by SarahBeth April 2, 09 09:09 AM
  1. Megan sucked. I knew that from her first audition, don't know why it took everyone else so long to figure it out. Adam Lambert isn't "all that" either. Sorry, but he's just not. Every country music fan in America should have been offended when he made a total mockery of country week and then laughed it off because he'll never be singing country anyway. (Never say never.... Sebastian Bach went country not too long ago). Allison is like Kelly Clarkston Jr. Does the world need 2 of them? Lil has talent that she just refuses to use because she seems to like bad songs. Chris is a good singer, not unlike thousands of other "good singers" who probably didn't make it through the first audition. Scott's handicap has gotten him further than his talent would have taken him. The judges sent home better singers than Scott. But he's likeable, and you find yourself wanting him to do well. Anoop isn't a bad singer, he's very similar to Chris, so is Matt in my opinion (Michael fit that group as well). Danny, in my opinion, is the best in the competition. I'll be disappointed if I never have the opportunity to own a Danny Gokey CD.

Posted by Danny Fan April 2, 09 10:22 AM
  1. Ah, so many Adam haters ot there. A few interesting facst for those who believe Adam is destined for the dustbin of rocker wannabe's:

1) Of all the Idol Contestants so far this year, Adam is by far already getting the most radio plays of his songs.
    2) The very fact that an act as OTT as Lady Gaga is uber-hot right now shows that America is ready for a little stage-craft with their music. This is right in Adam's strike zone.
    3) Those foolish enough to think that all Adam can do is "screech" need to listen to his gorgeous irish-tenor work on Brigadoon.
    4) On idol's website, Adam has more than twice the number of comments on his blog than any other contestant.
    5) Who can say that a 2 hour Adam lambert Concert (spectacle might be better word) would not be an amazing visual-auditory experience. If you don't believe me, witness his work at the Zodiac.

There are 5 people left on the show with any shot at a recording career. I'll list them in order of likely success:

1) Adam Lambert
    2) Kris
    3) Allison
    4) Matt (as long as he doesn't try to sing rock)
    5) Danny

IMHO, Adams' only real competition to win the title this year will be Kris.

Posted by Bill Mitchell April 2, 09 10:32 AM
  1. I don't believe that the judges "save" ability is limited to a single week. Over the next 2 weeks (before there are too few to be fair), I believe the judges should surprise the public, and make an unprecedented move and bring back Alexis Grace. WOW, what a popular move that would be. Besides, who else left is worth saving? Grace should be on the tour anyway and she was cut short. She is a much better performer than at least 3 of the contestants remaining.

Posted by Mabba April 2, 09 11:50 AM
  1. I am a HUGE Lady GaGa fan, but I swear that was her mom performing for her last night, maybe even Babs Streisand. Dawg, it was really really strange.

Posted by Patsy April 2, 09 12:04 PM
  1. Danny Fan , give it time those Danny Gokey Cds will be in the discount rack with in a year.

Posted by Bo Bice April 2, 09 12:46 PM
  1. Andy - personally, I don't think she was rude toward Simon. She stood up for herself, unlike a lot of other contestants on this show. I'm sorry, but if you're up there doing your best, even if it IS awful, if the people critiquing it brush it off as insignificant, and then start to joke around amongst themselves while you stand there, I think you'd be saying something similar. Because, let's be honest - what they say really doesn't matter in the scheme of the show. They may sway some of the votes, but their main role is to provide constructive criticism. And they're not doing that. They're ripping on people, and then laughing about it, in a very soap opera way.

Yes, Megan wasn't very good, but THEY put her up there, they should at least have the decency to pay attention, and at least act like they care even at the end. What Simon did was spoiled brat, "I'm taking my ball and going home" petty nonsense.

Posted by Chris April 2, 09 01:16 PM
  1. Lady GaGa was just doing Madonna. 25 years ago Madonna. It's been done, dear. And, although I'm no Madonna fan by any means, she did it a LOT better.

TDAWG's comments were pretty much right on...and hysterical to boot.

At least the billy goat with the tattoos is gone. America got that right. Baah-baaah-bye!!!

Posted by Matt Talvi April 2, 09 04:13 PM
  1. Everything old is new again sometime - there is precious little that is truly truly original and that includes pretty much every current artist of any note.

I love that people expect the contestants to be original and then totally vilify anyone who has the temerity to try (RoF anyone). There are no sacred cows, no reason Country Music should be treated any differently than rock or pop with regards to changing it up. Lots of classic rock songs have been twanged to within an inch of their lives and no one cries foul.

So to Lambert or not to Lambert - that seems to be the question. For some reason people seem to think that this is a singing competition - its a performing and popularity competition, and when it comes to ability to perform (aks put on a show) there isn't anyone else in the competition that even comes close. With regards to whether you would or wouldn't buy his record with the songs he has done - I am pretty sure he wouldn't put out a record with the songs he has sung (and for the record neither did the much vaunted 2008 DC or earlier 2006 CD model). But I am sure plenty would buy songs like Come Home (one of his Upright performances).

Just my 2 cents. At least he isn't boring everyone to death...

Posted by bridgeymah April 2, 09 08:20 PM
  1. I just wanted to respond to comment no. 5 Meghan was always my favorite girl. (Adam being my favorite, period, lol) But she dropped in my esteem this week.
    She was extremely disrespectful to Simon, and I was happy with his comeback.
    Meghan seemed to have forgotten who she should have thanked to be on Idol to start with.

Posted by Marianne April 3, 09 06:52 AM
  1. Thank-you Bill Mitchell for your post. I am so sick of reading criticism of Adam Lambert...when they have no idea what they are talking about. This man is a rare talent....with vocal skills that have never been seen on Idol before and will never be seen again ( most likely).....and, perhaps, that is the problem. Many of these "haters" prefer someone like Scott...go to Vegas and you will hear many a voice equal or superior resonating from a lounge. Scott is a sweet guy.....but he is not en exceptional musical talent. Mr Lambert is a treasure........but not only does he possess the most amazing vocal chords I have ever heard........he also has a raw sensuality that is genderless.. I am grateful that he auditioned for AI.....so we
    all could be blessed with his performances........but......he will far exceed the little "Idol" image they want.....there will be no stopping this guy!! Thank-you Adam and God Bless......for making music again!!

Posted by Sandy April 3, 09 10:19 AM
  1. Re: Sandy, post #28.

All hail Adam. King of Idol. Best ever, Best that ever will be.

How dare we not see his brilliance!

I am ashamed of myself...

Posted by Matt Talvi April 3, 09 01:17 PM
  1. Adam Lambert is this century Super Star! No question about it. Move over Michael Jackson. Move over Elvis.
    Adam Lambert has arrived.

His talent is beyond anything I have experienced in my forty seven years of life. He has it all, and will entangle all people, of all ages and sexes, into his web of talent for generations to come.

The rest is just BS.

Posted by Alexandra E. April 9, 09 05:18 PM

About Viewer Discretion

What we're watching on TV.

Katie McLeod is Boston.com's features editor.

Emily Wright is an Arts & Entertainment producer at Boston.com.

Sarah Rodman is a TV and music critic for the Boston Globe.