Late Bloomer | Jenny Lewis Listen Live

'Idol:' The Mad Chat

Posted by Joanna Weiss  April 7, 2009 10:26 PM

Come join us at 10 a.m. for our weekly dish about the Adam Lambert Showcase, formerly known as "American Idol." Tell us what song you'd sing from the year you were born, help me predict who's going home tonight, and tell me if you still think Danny Gokey has a chance of beating Adam.

1. Sorry to come in late here- Adam's performance was great, indeed, however his remake was merely a copy of Gary Jules' Mad World cover. It wasn't anything I hadn't heard.

Posted by musiclover April 8, 09 09:32 AM
  1. maybe it is half the battle, but he's getting credit for "creating" the remake he did when he didn't......don't get me wrong, he's amazing but the genius in him last night was lost on me since I have heard the Gary Jules' version a million times (and I do love it!)

Posted by musicgirl April 8, 09 09:40 AM
  1. Adam just doesn't come off as "real". When the other Idols get on stage I believe it's THEM and their personalities. I buy into their performances. But when Adam sings, I can't help but think he's acting...or putting on a performance. The judges asked Alison to show her personality more....but Adam seems to be the one hiding behind a stage version of himself.

Posted by Larry April 8, 09 09:56 AM
  1. I, like a lot of people I know do not watch live TV anymore so I set the DVR last night but as I was watching the end of the show I realized my time was ending in 2 minutes and I had not even seen Adam yet. Honestly he is the only person worth watching on the show anymore. He is talented. Even though his "original" versions of songs are not so original, he still seems to pull it off because they are quite obscure sometimes (Ring of Fire). I thought his vocals in that song were amazing but the high pitched W. Axl Rose stuff in the other numbers are getting quite old. Everyone else is "forgetable".

Posted by not impressed April 8, 09 12:07 PM
  1. Larry,you just put into words what I was thinking. He's acting as a "phenomenal" eye-liner wearing rockstar. I have finally figured out where all the hoopla stems from. I'll give him that,he's doing a superb acting job,far better than Lauren Conrad and Heidi Montag.

Posted by Amanda April 8, 09 01:34 PM
  1. Why is Adam "great" and "amazing" to so many people? He's screechy and so overly dramatic. I don't get the love for this guy at all. I agree he's a very polished performer, but his voice is so ear-piercing.

Posted by Mike April 8, 09 02:14 PM
  1. I'm no fan of Adam's, but he was by far and away the best performer last night, and he actually showed some semblance of, dare I say it, HEART to his performance. If he did this kind of thing week in and week out, I might not despise him so much. He'll probably end up winning no matter what he does. But last night, he seemed genuine, he sang brilliantly, and it touched me.

Allison was the next best singer. Considering she's just 16, it's a shame she has to compete against Adam, who has a grossly unfair age and professional performance advantage over her.

I still hope Allison wins. But it's probably like shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind. Ain't gonna happen.

Posted by Matt Talvi April 8, 09 03:11 PM
  1. I don't get the Adam love. He is too fake for me. I think Allison should win

Posted by Matt April 8, 09 03:32 PM

About Viewer Discretion

What we're watching on TV.

Katie McLeod is Boston.com's features editor.

Emily Wright is an Arts & Entertainment producer at Boston.com.

Sarah Rodman is a TV and music critic for the Boston Globe.