Mother & Father | Broods Listen Live

'Idol:' Kris takes the crown

Posted by Joanna Weiss  May 20, 2009 09:01 PM

Kris Allen, mellow and understated throughout the "American Idol" competition, was more than mellow when he was crowned the winner of Season 8 tonight. For a moment there, he looked positively sheepish.

"The dark horse comes back and wins the nation over. How does it feel?" Ryan asked. "It feels good, man," Kris said, "but Adam just - Adam deserves this."

Such is the pull Adam Lambert has had on this competition from the start. The producers, the judges who praised him every week, the "Entertainment Weekly" editors who put him alone on the cover -- all of them seemed to think that Adam should take the title, and apparently, so did the guy who actually won.

But the voters – who cast more than 100 million votes on Tuesday night -- said otherwise, charmed by Kris's smart song choices and increasingly bold performances, and in some cases, turned off by Adam's over-the-top performance style and his goth appearance.

Adam may have been the most polarizing finalist the show has ever seen, and Kris was almost-absurdly wholesome by comparison -- not to mention far more similar to Danny Gokey, and thus more likely to draw votes from his die-hard fans. Still, this "Idol" contest wasn’t just a skirmish in the culture wars. It was a choice between bold glam rockers and mellow guys with acoustic guitars, a test of how fast people could dial or text, and – perhaps most significantly – a referendum on what an “American Idol” winner should be.

Adam arrived on the “Idol” stage fully formed, with the skill and confidence of an already-minted rock star. (The Queen medley at the end was clearly meant for him. Kris was just there to hold down the mid-range notes.)

Kris, meanwhile, represented the traditional "Idol" conceit: that the show should find a diamond in the rough from some distant corner of the country. He won over voters by improving over time, gaining confidence and boldness. Fireworks went off in Conway, Arkansas. And when he hugged his wife at the end of the show, after singing his schlocky coronation song, the full weight of what had happened seemed to be settling in.

It was a lovely moment, and enough to make anyone feel decent about what happened. Adam and Kris seemed to genuinely like each other; Simon took the unusual step of calling both of them "unusually incredibly nice people." They'll both go on to be stars, and they'll both deserve it.

As for the rest of the show? The most surprising moment came from Kara, who appeared onstage singing "Vision of Love" -- a reprise of her audition-round showdown with “Bikini Girl” Katrina Darrell -- then tore off her dress to reveal that she was wearing a bikini, too. (Ryan later said she agreed to do it on a dare, in exchange for a donation to her favorite charity.) If this is Kara's parting shot -- and it could well be -- she redeemed herself a smidge. She looked mortified.

I also loved the Cyndi Lauper/Allison Iraheta duet, the fact that Keith Urban appeared, and the way Adam rocked out with KISS. (Was I the only one waiting for his outfit to light up?) The Steve Martin bit was bizarre; Michael and Megan to showcase his song? No wonder he looked so glum. I had a feeling we'd see Tatiana and Normund Gentle again, though I wish both of them had been given more original schticks. And I felt a little wistful, watching Alexis Grace strutting around; she should have lasted longer.

So are you cheering tonight? Mourning? Taking it in stride? Let 'er rip in the comments, then come back here tomorrow at 10 a.m. for our final "Idol" chat of the year.

1. I thought Adam deserved to win over Kris, but I'm OK with this. Adam sounded great with Queen and Kiss, and Kris sounded great with Keith Urban. I'm looking forward to seeing (hearing?) what they both release (and Allison, too). They all have the potential to make some great music, and I hope they all do.

Posted by two sheds May 20, 09 09:40 PM
  1. Boooooo!!! The most unjust result in the history of this show. This country is so messed up! Grow up America--Let's put your homophobia in the closet and grow up. It's 2008 my disgraceful fellows.

Posted by Gaby May 20, 09 09:48 PM

Posted by Gaby May 20, 09 09:48 PM
  1. Kris allen DID NOT DESERVE TO WIN

Posted by SAVANNAH May 20, 09 09:50 PM
  1. Vindication.

Posted by shelly May 20, 09 09:51 PM
  1. I am not as surprised by this as I am of DWTS let down the gymnast girl should have gone weeks ago. Melissa and Gils were superb from day 1 - what the hey was that all about - I won't ever watch that show again!

Posted by donna May 20, 09 09:52 PM
  1. Unfortunately, the mantra for Season 8 is: Many people did not vote for Kris Allen to win American Idol, people voted for Adam Lambert to lose American Idol because he was "different." Adam Lambert was fully exploited by American Idol to gain ratings for his performances only to have an ALL-AMERICAN wholesome boy win the idol title. This was a gross exploitation of Adam Lambert by American Idol to boost viewership, all the build-up and pimping were all for charity to him-- only to have AMERICA choose a mediocre all-American wholesome Christian boy to win idol.

Posted by tij May 20, 09 09:53 PM
  1. Glad to see Kris win. His duet with Keith Urban was phenomenal - the best of the night! And I liked Alison and Cyndi Lauper's duet - very well done. Alison is someone to watch - she should do well.

Watching Adam with K.I.S.S. just double-proved to me that that kind of glam rock is so bad and so not needed anymore.....I read on MJ's blog "The 80s called - they want their decade back!" :-) I *do* see Adam touring with Brian May and the rest of Queen as their new front man - although he could never do Freddie Mercury the way Freddie can, that's for sure!

Other BAD things? Lionel Ritchie & Danny Gokey; Steve Martin & Megan-Joy /Michael Sarver (holy crow that was BAD!), and Rod Stewart.....was he drunk? Either that or his voice is shot to s**t.

Oh - and Bikini Girl and Kara? Holy moly - did they punk Bikini Girl on stage? She definitely did not look like she was expecting Kara to come out! Although I could have done without Kara exposing herself in a bikini!

And then there's Tatiana. Oy. Her singing and Bikini Girl's singing proves they didn't belong in the Top 36! And Norman Gentle (you KNEW they'd all win their "categories!) Norman was the only one I laughed at....the rest? Yikes. They need to retire the Idol Awards.

I do find it interesting that Ryan didn't say how many votes Kris won by though! I'm wondering if it was a really LARGE number of votes. If so, that would make the judges look like fools for trying to pimp out Adam to the voting public! And we can't have the judges looking like fools now, can we? (Oh - and Simon? Please stand up and applaud the winner? You're a real tool for not being a good sport and doing so for Kris!)

Anyway - glad Kris won. Kinda figured he would. Not sure if I'll buy his album; he's no Daughtry or Carrie Underwood. But he's good. Very good. Good luck to him.

Posted by Linda May 20, 09 09:55 PM
  1. Kris Allen - wow. The Rachel Alexander of the American Idol Derby. Adam is most likely signing a contract via Simon Fuller-Cowell team. I support the decision in that American Idol started out as a competition for the undiscovered and felt all along Adam was too prepared but with the obvious favoritism for Adam, thought the results would work in his favor. Favorite performance of the night was Kiss. Wish they'd keep the finale to an hour. Could have done without all the other cheesy acts. Fergie looks horrible except for her legs. She's injecting too much something into her face. Fame does have a price.

Bring on SYTYCD! WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!

Posted by A Dingo Ate My Baby May 20, 09 09:56 PM
  1. Good for Kris. I was hoping he'd win. Adam has talent and showmanship, sure, but in the end, Kris deserved it more.

Posted by Chris May 20, 09 09:58 PM
  1. Nice way to spoil it for the DVR crowd

Posted by X May 20, 09 10:03 PM
  1. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!! Adam completely should have won...EVEN KRIS SAID ADAM DESERVED IT, AFTER HE WON!! I really don't get it. Don't get me wrong, they are both talented but did you see that KISS performance with Adam...it SHOULD have been a no brainer...Adam was robbed...but I think he'll be better off without an AI title...he'll be successful anyway...all the religious and teeny bopper girls voted for Kris and were scared of Adam...that's pathetic. GOOD LUCK ADAM!!

Posted by Kevin May 20, 09 10:08 PM
  1. American is a sham. There was no way Adam should not have won. I don't understand how chris won, but I will never watch american idol again. Because it seems that the best finish last, two seasons in a row.

Posted by Helenaer May 20, 09 10:08 PM
  1. Kris deserved to win. American's love a good underdog when we see one. Adam was great but Kris is more genuine. In these crazy times we live in, a return to what's pure and honest seems like the way to go. I wasn't surprised Kris won. I voted for him, too.

Posted by Max May 20, 09 10:11 PM
  1. wow. just wow. adam is probably thanking his god that he doesn't have to record that horrible song. he'll be fine. kris needed it more than he did and i'm happy for him but he is no superstar.

Posted by boots May 20, 09 10:12 PM
  1. I knew Kris would pull it off...I was rooting for him all along!!!!!

Posted by Excited May 20, 09 10:16 PM
  1. Anti-gay bigotry is a manifestation of heterosexuality. Haterosexuality is the foundation of all institutional forms of discrimination.

Kris would have never won if his competition was heterosexual, we all know it. Kris forgot the lyrics to "No Boundaries" and was off key, two things that spelled doom to past contestants. This will be like the Ruben Studdard/ Clay Aiken showdown in which many people voted AGAINST Clay because they thought he was gay (he later acknowledge he is) and had no plans on buying anything Ruben made.

Posted by Kory May 20, 09 10:17 PM
  1. Let 'er rip huh? Well it is abundantly clear that talent is not what is judged on American Idol. I thought that's what the show was all about. I am sad to say simply "I for one, after being a long-time fan of the show, will not be watching it again. I would not pay to see the idols on tour... I am that mad. I don't want to appear to be a supporter of the show. The last 2 standing for talent alone should have been Allison and Adam. I'll tell you one thing though. ADAM? If you're reading this, and I hope you are. I will be the first in line to buy your CD. You are the best. It is sad that perhaps who you are cost you the title (the utube pic hype etc) but don't change... don't change anything about yourself. Be true to yourself...

Posted by Dark Dezire May 20, 09 10:17 PM
  1. This was the first year I wished it was a tie. Both are great, but if I am going to buy a cd it will be Kris' because I know exactly what he will be singing. Adam, I love but I have no clue what he will be doing, Broadway? Glamrock? I think Adam deserved to win due to his consistency, but in the end, Kris came across and a real person who was not acting.

Posted by Peg May 20, 09 10:17 PM
  1. I'm extremely happy that Kris won! I really thought Adam would win, with all the hype, and the judges worshipping him and all. I agree-- the Queen song was so meant for Adam, it was like the producers tailored the coronation night (as well as rock night and the finale) for him. I'm glad America didn't get swayed by all that! :)

Posted by Misha May 20, 09 10:21 PM
  1. I love it. Kera wrote the song for Adam knowing it was out of Kris's range and she admitted it in her comments. Nice to see the American people picked up on the judges shoving who they wanted down our throats. I like Adam, but that scream is not something I want to hear every song. I think he'll do well as an artist, but I believe Kris can crossover much easier.

Posted by Nu May 20, 09 10:22 PM
  1. Kris is along the same line as other idols in previous seasons while Adam is simply outstanding. Adam will be a true superstar, at the international stage. He can sing any songs and I bet a lot of people can't wait for his album. Kris can continue a successful small stage performer and I don't even remember his style of singing.

Posted by imidol May 20, 09 10:26 PM
  1. I am disappointed that Adam did not win because AI is a "singing contest" - which means find the person with the best voice, the best range, the best tone, the best delivery of a song that will make you want to hear it again and again. Both finalists are really nice people - although that quality was probably more easily-recognized in Kris. But I know who I want to see on the Idol Tour this summer. It's too bad that a 3-octave range and nearly flawless performances week after week don't translate into the winner of American Idol who will close the show.

Posted by Pam May 20, 09 10:34 PM
  1. Thanks for the spoiler headline right on the main page. Some of us rely on DVR.

JERKS.

Posted by Andrew May 20, 09 10:38 PM
  1. I don't think Adam has anything to worry about ... remember Reuben Studdard beat Clay Aiken.

Posted by Randy May 20, 09 10:38 PM
  1. WOW, I am shocked that Kris won and I think he was too. JoJo - I know you are disappointed but I also have to say that I think you have been terribly unobjective throughout the season. I think you even went as far as to say that Adam was way better than Cookie. Another WOW. Produced vs. Real "Artist" Guess that is what blogs are for and not newspaper articles - opinion.

Posted by Kristen May 20, 09 10:39 PM
  1. That was a great show tonight. It was worth missing Big Papi's first home run for.
    I mean really who cares who won. The thought that Adam lost because he's suspected of being gay is ridiculous. I'd love to see him as the lead singer for a Queen tour

Posted by toto May 20, 09 10:41 PM
  1. VERY well said Linda.

Posted by shelly May 20, 09 10:47 PM
  1. Before last night, I'd have expected Adam to win easily. Kris, imo, stepped it up in the finals and turned it into a coin flip. Either one is a legitimate winner, which can't be said for each season.

As a show or tv event, it was superb tv, imo. Any show that includes Norman Gentle is a winner in my book.

The Kiss/Adam Lambert segment was, well it speaks for itself. How can it be described? Kris's performance with Keith Urban was good, too. The Queen performance was great of course. If I didn't know better, I'd say it had a series finale vibe to it.

And Kara looked very fit. I was surprised she did that and at how good she looked, too.

Posted by MG May 20, 09 10:52 PM
  1. I am sad that Adam didn't win, but still glad I bought my Idol tour tickets. I'm looking forward to hearing Adam sing at the Garden. A good friend of mine (D.H.) had a great description of Adam.... he's really the incarnate love child of Liza Minelli and Elvis.

Posted by Another Cougar for Adam May 20, 09 10:54 PM
  1. If one were to base tonights vote solely on the crowds reaction to Adam's name being spoken, one would have thought he had it in the bag. Especially after the night before it was Kris who could only sing two of the three songs presented and even then only one sounded good. So now I sit here wondering really was it the public that truly has no taste and voted Kris the new American Idol or was it Simon Fuller pulling the strings. So being off key and forgetting the words makes you an American Idol imagine that.

Posted by Raven May 20, 09 10:56 PM
  1. i am so pissed.
    at least it wasn't gokey. kris knows he didn't deserve to win.
    and (it seems) unlike the rest of america, he loves adam for who he is.
    at this time next year, adam will have conquered the world and idol will be facing cancellation.

Posted by wtfjusthappened May 20, 09 10:56 PM
  1. THIS RESULTS SHOW SUCKED!!!! The clearly better by a mile singer lost and i can only attribute that too many people not wanting to see a gay guy take a national title. i am done with american idol.

Posted by sierrarose May 20, 09 10:59 PM
  1. Adam should have won!

Posted by jadboston May 20, 09 11:03 PM
  1. Kris Allen. Really America? Kris Allen? The guy who can sing maybe one octave worth of notes but likes to keep it to just three notes per song? That Kris Allen? Really? Wow. I shouldn't be surprised knowing that A) AI is not a talent competition but rather a popularity competition and B) American masses love all things bland. The masses love Macaroni Grill and John effing Mayer. They love the merry-go-round. You can live on it, tolerate it, and have a nice calm ride on it. They love going through the motions of life without really enjoying life. No spicey foods from neighborhood establishments, no roller coasters (sure they'd like the highs but not if it costs them the lows), and apparently no Adam Lambert. American who voted for Kris... pathetic. Yes Linda, that includes you.

Posted by john May 20, 09 11:05 PM
  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

TAKE THAT ADAM LOVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

GO KRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Danny Gokey should have won it all)

Posted by NATE May 20, 09 11:24 PM
  1. Everything has to be a controversy to some people! Why, just because the majority of voters picked Kris does it have to be about gay or straight? Neither myself or my friends (we are theater people also) have prejudices about gay vs straight but some preferred Adam's voice and others preferred Kris. They are both talented in different ways. Just because your guy lost does not make it controversial.

Posted by KD May 20, 09 11:29 PM
  1. No question in my mind the tweeners and teens called and texted in droves for Kris Allen. I am curious as to what the final vote difference REALLY was out of those 100 million votes.

Posted by Jimmy the Groundhog May 20, 09 11:29 PM
  1. To all the fans saying that Adam didn't win because of discrimination: While that may be the case for some people, I know that I just didn't like his singing. I can acknowledge and see that the is a great singer and has wonderful talent, but the screaming isn't my thing.

Secondly, I love that people get so angry about who wins when it's the country that's voting. If you're an Adam fan, you should be happy he'll be able to record an album the way he wants, and won't have to record Kara's song. If you're a Kris fan, you should be happy that he got this exposure and will not get pushed by the American Idol crowd. Everybody wins.

Posted by Just Another Fan May 20, 09 11:38 PM
  1. Kris is amazingly genuine when he performs. Adam struts around like the world should bow to him. I'm sorry, but his attitude is horrible and cocky. America has great hearing and Adam about broke that with his constant screaming during his attempts at singing. I was about to throw up if he stuck that tongue out one more time! At least America proved that they didn't need the judges' completely biased opinions to pick the winner. Adam is much better suited to theatrical Broadway than lead singing in a pop concert.

Posted by TheRightGuyWon May 20, 09 11:41 PM
  1. What does not winning American Idol mean...

You can win an oscar!!

Adam Lambert had the best voice and stage presence. He is a true performer.
    America is a racist, homophobic country. Nothing against Kris, he was a good but, Adam was clearly superior. I believe he will go on to much larger fame.

Posted by Ourcountryneedstogrowup May 20, 09 11:51 PM
  1. Its Fox and the gay got bashed. no surprise. How come everyone protests if Miss California doesnt win but its ok if a gay guy loses when he should have won.

Posted by Scott Meeter May 20, 09 11:52 PM
  1. I am a 58-year-old housewife from the Chicago suburbs. I believe Adam's talent lies so far beyond the comprehension of the average teeny-bop viewer/voter that he is very lucky he didn't win. Who would want to join the likes of Taylor Hicks and Ruben Studdard?? This way he'll be free from the clutches of American Idol contracts as soon as the tour is over and he'll be free to conquer the world in his own style. American Idol represents pop music at its blandest, and Adam will always be the opposite of bland!

Posted by robin2851 May 21, 09 12:07 AM
  1. It really bothers me that people are trying to make this into some sort of gay vs. straight thing. Adam IS talented, there is no question about it...but whether you like it or not AMERICA loves an UNDERDOG ...that is why KRIS WON... Adam was seasoned performer before this thing started, he was going to be successful with or without American Idol. CONGRATULATIONS KRIS!! I VOTED FOR YOU!!

Posted by BO FAN!! May 21, 09 12:19 AM
  1. AMERICAN IDOL SUCKS!!! ADAM was clearly the winner tonight, Americians are soooo stupid. What are they affraid of, someone who deserves to win ...WINS.

Adam you were AMAZING and you deserve the win. Clearly you will be the winner in the end.

Posted by Stupid Americians May 21, 09 12:31 AM
  1. Unbelievable. After a wonderful Grand Finale production, the result has me feeling as if hatred triumphed over justice. This was not a case of two contestants being similar in talent. Adam Lambert was idolized by his opponents themselves, and with good reason. He helped them each week with their own vocals. Each week, he performed as they looked on, as we looked on, in amazement. This wasn't just the year that Adam was going to win Idol, this was the year that AI *finally* did find that once in a decade star. His talent is comparable to that of Freddie Mercury and Steven Tyler. If Adam's personal pictures hadn't made their way across the internet, it would have been the landslide that was earned and deserved by Adam

Posted by Lawrence May 21, 09 12:31 AM
  1. Kris performed well last night and "all" of America voted. Adam is a great talent, but he will not appeal to everyone. Kris did a great job on his 3 tunes and I think he deserved to win. The show was too long and we could do without the top 13 showing up.
    As for all you crybabies P.O.'d about the "spoiler results"... You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know enough to avoid online sites where you will see the results before watching your DVR. Quit yer bitchin and get a life!

Posted by Musicdocta May 21, 09 12:41 AM
  1. Everyone wants to look at this as some referendum on homosexual bigotry, Emo, and Goth...the fact is, despite being a genius of a showman, the premise of this show is singing talent and Adam's one screamy, long tongue note does not an awesome singer make. Sure, Tears for Fears was great, but a whole record of that would bore you to tears. Sam Cook? Well,not ba.d...but not SOUL either. His studio recordings (from iTunes) were weak, thin, and lacked any listenable warmth. I think if you heard before this you wouldn't have given him a second thought. Queen worked, Kiss just did not. He's not a "rocker"...Steven tyler, Slash, early Van Halen,...their rockers. This kid is theater. I think the mistake he made was listening o the "rocker" thing in the first place. Prince would have been a smarter coupling with Adam than Kiss (and I don't mean that in a bad way)

Kris was real...from start to finish...and, I might add, much more current than Adam. Turn on the radio...he sounds like alot of people out at the moment.

Posted by qdome May 21, 09 12:47 AM
  1. Some posters are so wrapped with "winning" that the show becomes all about them - their feeling, their anger, their entitlement. their candidate. To say you won't watch AI because your guy lost is about as effing moronic as it gets. If you're that upset over a singing show then either get a drink or turn off the tube.

Posted by smb12321 May 21, 09 01:13 AM
  1. Congrats to Kris, though I felt Adam was the MUCH better performer up until the last few weeks. Yes Kris improved, and that was kinda fun to see I suppose, but he really only had one or two performances all year that could compare to any given glambert performance. I don't think he ever "beat" him in a single performance on pure vocals, and certainly not by performance.

As to all the whining about homophobia or contest rigging, Adam lost because he wasn't Tween-friendly, plain and simple. So all of you who wanted Adam to win, blame yourself for indulging your daughters/girlfriends/spouses (hopefully not) with a cell phone for them to mash their bloody stumps of fingers on for four hours last night cranking out 1000 votes each. I think Idol could easily do voting on a single vote per phone basis and somewhat eliminate the "tween-factor", but then they wouldn't be able to gush over how many millions of votes were cast.

Posted by BunnyWabbit May 21, 09 01:20 AM
  1. I am wondering if there was something wrong with the voting process. There were time when the message stated "Thank you for voting for contestant "2" when I was voting for Adam the whole time. And it was redial, so there could not have been a slip of the fingers. I think this should really be looked into. For Adam's sake.
    I have this strange feeling this could have been rigged. Anyone else have the same problem?

Posted by klv May 21, 09 01:20 AM
  1. i'm gay and would have voted for Kris if i voted at all. does that make me homophobic?

this has nothing to do with homophobia. tween girls who vote vote for young cute guys like Kris.

others just don't care for Adam's singing.

in the end, it doesn't matter. it's a freakin' tv show.

Posted by a kris fan May 21, 09 01:25 AM
  1. Relax, Adam Lambert fans. He will probably have a better career than that Kris dude... What is the one common attribute of 90% of Idol winners? Hint: it has something to do with wanting to get out of their oppressive 19 Entertainment recording contracts.

Personally, I'm just glad the thing is over. ADAM LAMBERT, STOP YELLING AT ME!!! I couldn't watch this season, and what snippets I did see ADAM LAMBERT WAS YELLING AT ME MATCHING THE DECIBAL LEVEL OF THE SPACE SHUTTLE TAKING OFF. Adam Lambert has taken the crown of F-16 Vocal Performance from the venerable Michael Bolton. Dude, tone it down. Sometimes, just sometimes, less *actually is* more. As it is, I see A.L. maybe with a leading role on Broadway. Him and his big, loud freakin' voice. Closing the pre-intermission scene with a rousing vocal performance. Either that or reviving some 80's hair metal... and after 17 years of Pixies ripoffs, Kurt Kobain wannabes, and (gack!) emo pop, don't we need a little more 80's hair metal these days? I think so. Seems Adam's gotten a good start in that direction, with his little live stint with KISS and all... He could really do some quality Queensryche covers. Think about it. Don't know about you, but I'm psyched!

Okay... flame away Adam Lambert fans...

Posted by keith May 21, 09 01:32 AM
  1. I am sooooooooooo upset!!!! Kris is good, but Adam is beyond compare!! How could he not be the American Idol? It's just not right. Adam would have been the best american idol

Posted by Muffythechef May 21, 09 01:36 AM
  1. I thought the Jason Moraz number was the best. Loved the layers. Next would be the Steve Martin song. Very sweet, almost a waltz . Megan was bad during the cheesey group songs, but she and Micheal were charming during the duet. For me it was one of the the highlights. Since when does a pure voice make you a star? Style is more than pure singing. I was impressed how Kris held his own next to Keith Urban. Queen has found a decent singer in Adam should they want to tour. He just needs to stop over-singing. Freddy Merc found the edge, but knew how to edit and is an ICON. Poor Rod...I saw him a few years ago and his voice was great. Wonder if this will hurt his future concerts?

Posted by Jackva May 21, 09 01:50 AM
  1. Honestly didn't care who won AI, as both got the exposure the AI machine gives and they and Allison and Danny and the rest will now be offered a recording contract. The rest will be up to them. Dialidol.com has never been wrong as far as I know in predicting the AI winner from the two finalists. So perhaps a touch of disappointment, but no surprise. Thought Adam too over the top for the "Christian" anti-gay bashers. Anyhow, Kris won and as I said in other posts, he will fit the AI mold much better than Adam. Adam needs to be free to create his own interpretations and staging and would actually be held down by the AI machine.

I never watch the results shows but the finals are always special and this one was fast moving and had a bit of everything. Thought some of the "Talent" was great and some awful, but at least they were better than Lady Ga-Ga and the beasts of the earkier results shows. My favorite moment was when bikini girl can on stage and Ryan said something to the effect, I don't have to ask you what's new. I'm sure we'll hear much more about the donations made in darewith Kara to show off her bikini

And Adam fronting for Kiss was great.

Posted by Otis May 21, 09 01:50 AM
  1. All is not lost Adam fans. Each week he had a chance to showcase his splendid voice and creative ideas. Also, he had a band and background singers and arrangement help. And, creative lighting and fabulous costumes. Adam was able to reach thousands of people he couldn't have otherwise. Whom do you think the majority of people want to see in the Idol Tour cast? He's had and will have fabulous exposure. His possibilities are endless.

Posted by Circe s May 21, 09 01:57 AM
  1. WOW seriously is it that big of a deal people?

just because someone is gay you just vote the stupid christian " sorry if i offend you " but still why do you do religious vote people
    COME ON AMERICA YOUR FAT LOOSE WEIGHT AND TURN OFF THE HOmoPHOBIA!! ok so what its a Bible it problably isnt even true and start growing up america your dumb american idol is a TALENT SHOW not a homophobic vote station to see if gays are bad seriously kris isnt even a good singer ADAM IS oh yeah who designs your clothes of course GAY GUYS DOOO!!! with girls also shut up american homophobics gays are useful people and fun to be around " im gay also " but still people you need to grow up and stop this

i mean this was the SECOND time you people did this
    stop it damn homophobic christians

Posted by mike May 21, 09 02:01 AM
  1. I love both of them. For me, the "blow it out of the park" Adam performances this season were his incredible rendition of Smokey Robinson's "The Tracks of My Tears" and, yes, my favorite, "Mad World." I do have to say that I was much more impressed by his earlier, hauntingly emotional performance of Mad World; Adam's Tuesday night rendering was the great performance of a consummate artist, but it didn't touch me the way his previous rendering did. Whereas, there is something about Kris that always touches me. Not just his strong, consistent vocals, but the fact that every note, every strum is done with so much heart. Kris, you deserve the win.

Posted by Cynthia May 21, 09 03:04 AM
  1. Adam deserved to win by a mile. My household was both shocked and feel a great injustice has been done.

Adam's rendition of Sam Cooke's song was truly amazing!

Kris may be likeable but his talent is nowhere near as formed as Adam's.

I think it was homophobia and religious fanatics that voted for Kris.

I tried calling and voting for Adam but never got through.

Posted by Quandra Jones May 21, 09 04:12 AM
  1. I am so happy for Kris!!! I, as many many others were turned off by Adam's over the top performances and reliance on his shrieking upper register. I'm very glad at this outcome. That said...I find it very disturbing that this has somehow become a chance to call people homo-phobe or claim that somehow the Christian Conservative/Red States have ruled the day. I am offended by that. At least in my case, I am as Progressive/liberal as the day is long and am very proud of it. Racism, Sexism of any kind turns my stomach. I didn't like Adam because I didn't like his performance style. Period.

Posted by Tina T May 21, 09 05:12 AM
  1. Last night showed that Adam was clearly the better singer: the performances with Kiss, Queen...He should have won.

Posted by Adamfan May 21, 09 05:37 AM
  1. I am so done with American Idol. How often does someone as special as Adam show up on mainstream TV? His unbelievable voice and talent? Words really can't describe him, I l-o-v-e watching him perform. Adam's voice and stage presence does it for me. I cant watch American Idol anymore, just to make a point. Let the scam or misguided voters have the show. (C ya, wouldn't want 2 B ya)

Posted by Beelove May 21, 09 05:55 AM
  1. Be careful what you wish for... Kris' life just changed for ever, now he gets jerked around by the Idol Machine. Better him than Adam who will have the freedom to do what he wants and be great at it. Useful to remember what Idol really is - popularity contest for the tweens and what it isn't - competition based on talent.
    Tweens win. What a bunch of white bread babies afraid of the bogey man with black finger nails. How does boring and mediocre work for Idol in the long run? Maybe Kris should go on tour with Clay Aiken, Ruben Studdard and Taylor Hicks! Maybe they sell out someone's livingroom. BOO!
    Lil Rounds was back! That was the singer we all wanted to see every week.
    Kara is a pretty good singer. Who knew?
    Love child of Liza Minelli and Elvis! Love It!

Posted by Glory Bee May 21, 09 05:59 AM
  1. To all these people who think Adam lost because he was gay: I'm not going to say there wasn't a segment of the voting block for Kris that felt strongly enough to vote based on that and that alone. But I think the MAIN reason Adam lost had nothing to do with Adam himself, who seems like a decent enough guy, and is certainly very talented (not my cup of tea, as I've said here before, but obviously talented). I think the MAIN reason he lost was the obvious pushing of him to win it by the Idol producers, and, in particular, the judges over-praising, annointing him King Adam of Pop weeks before this week's final showdown. People don't like to be told who they should vote for, or made to feel stupid because they don't obviously see how "brilliant" Adam was, and how many light years better he was than everyone else on that stage for the last several weeks.

Nonsense. Adam is a very talented vocalist. But, he's also overly theatrical, and abuses that high squeal to the point of ad nauseum. To say that he is MORE talented than Kris...well, Kris can not only sing, he can also accompany himself on piano and guitar, which, to me, shows more MUSICAL talent than Mr. Lambert possesses.

I'm sure Adam will do just fine. And, all things being equal, had he NOT gotten this ridiculous promotion from supposedly non-biased people (meaning all four judges), he may have beaten Kris. But, again, people don't like to be TOLD how to vote. They don't want to be TOLD they're dumb if they don't see things the way the judges see things.

I'll give Idol this: They didn't tamper with the vote. It was obvious they wanted Adam to win, but they let the chips fall where they fell.

And, was it me, or did anyone notice Rod Stewart nearly tripping into the front row when he sauntered (stumbled?) out to do his tepid rendition of "Maggie Mae?"

Also, it's pretty unsettling to see Gene Simmons' tongue slithering out every two seconds these days. It might have been a big part of the band's schtick 30 years ago, but now he just comes across like a sleazy, deranged middle-aged dirty old man. Not very becoming, Gene, as you approach your senior years...

Posted by mattal1958 May 21, 09 06:06 AM
  1. Greetings from Australia...There is no comparison and I am in my late 40\'s. I don\'t care who Adam prefers sexually or if he wears eyeliner and nail polish. In 10 years time, Kris (although he seems to be a nice guy and can sing) will not have the international fame of Adam who is such a talent. Simon should sign him up immediately. Definitely the most talented and charismatic performer ever on this show. Congrats Kris ..... and see you around Adam (a lot!)

Posted by Pam May 21, 09 07:16 AM
  1. Adam deserved to win, hands down. He was the most creative and talented contestant with the most to offer the music world.

Posted by jackie May 21, 09 07:21 AM
  1. I'm a huge Adam fan. I've downloaded all of his performances on itunes - something I've never felt compelled to do with an American idol performance before. That being said, I voted for Kris and here's why: we all know that Adam will be just fine. He's going to be a huge star, and won't be tied in to doing the music that AI wants him to do. Kris is a very talented singer, who consistently sang well throughout the season. I think he needed the win because he just doesn't seem to have a lot of self-confidence. With this, he'll know that he really deserves to be out there recording music. I felt that his duet with Keith Urban last night was excellent and I truly hope that they release it as a single - I'd buy it!

Posted by stawen May 21, 09 07:21 AM
  1. I'm finished watching this show. The winner was not the most talented singer. Adam should have had his much deserved win. He was ripped off completely and has much more to offer.

Posted by jackie May 21, 09 07:27 AM
  1. Adam was the most charasmatic singer and personality American Idol ever had. He will go on to be one of the most legendary performers in American history. Kris is a cute, sweet boy that every mother loves, but, honestly, he can't hold a candle to Adam. I'm looking forward to Adam wowing the world, and little Kris will fade into obscurity. It's such a dissapointment when things like this happens because of peoples' narrow-mindedness. Posted by Karen May 21, 09 08:43 AM

Posted by Karen DiVirgilio May 21, 09 07:43 AM
  1. I'm actually okay with the results. I would be SO HAPPY if Adam won, but I'm kind of glad he doesn't have to record that stupid song. And I am happy for Kris. He was so surprised that it showed how humble he really is. I think both of them will be successful. And I think now Adam will have more control over his record, which is good.

Posted by Kerri May 21, 09 07:56 AM
  1. Yeaaa Kris! He deserved it,and all you people saying differently are just a bunch of haters. American Idol is about seeing someone develop into in artist-not taking a glam rock star from the theater stage and giving him his own showcase for a whole season. America finally got it right this season. Ahh I love a good underdog story =)

Posted by Amanda May 21, 09 07:56 AM
  1. To john-boy (#35) - Ummm, just so you know? I HATE Macaroni Grill and John Mayer; I don't like merry-go-rounds, too! But I also DISLIKE Screech's style of singing. I *liked* Queen in their heyday, but even Freddie Mercury knew when to reign it in - Screech doesn't - he has this overwhelming need to hit an off-key "money note" (which it's not!) almost every single song. Hopefully a good producer will teach him it's not always necessary. But that's what makes the world go round, john-boy - different tastes! That's why it's called "an opinion" - everyone has one. And obviously, enough people agreed with me to vote for Kris over Screech.

Guess what - both of them will have careers. Those of you who are taking this SO seriously need to get a life - it's a SHOW. That's what I watched it as - a TV SHOW. Not life-or-death! Just because Adam lost doesn't mean he won't do well. Chris Daughtry is doing just fine after placing 4th in his season!

So those of you who are doing the juvenile foot stomp, locker slam, snapping of your bubble gum and stomping off down the hallway saying you'll NEVER watch this show again? Please get over it. It's a TV show. They'll both have recording contracts. Let's see how they both do.

Posted by Linda May 21, 09 07:58 AM
  1. Adam deserved to win. He is clearly better than Kris. Even Simon was angry, who did not stand up when Kris won - America got it completely wrong. Even if they both have careers Adam deserved the tittle because he is the best they have ever had.

Posted by sjf May 21, 09 08:07 AM
  1. I'm really glad that Kris won honestly, but I don't feel as bowled over as I Did last year. Both of the guys are great and will have great careers. But while I think that Adam deserved to win, I thought that Kris needed it more.

JMO.

Posted by SarahBeth May 21, 09 08:42 AM
  1. Adam doesn't need the AI title (and lame trophy), he'll be just fine. I've said all along that I think he is talented but I can't see myself buying his CD. He probably thinks he's lucky that he doesn't have to record that horrific song that Kara helped write. Now he won't be tied to what the AI machine wants him to do.
    Kris really brought it toward the end, and I agree with some other comments that he probably got a good number of votes just because Adam was being pushed so much by the judges/producers. I thought he sounded great with Keith Urban last night, and he truly seemed to be enjoying himself.
    I think Simon was right when he commented on what nice people both of them seem to be. I hope that they stay that way, and I think they will both be successful.

Posted by Wednesday AM QB May 21, 09 08:45 AM
  1. The most talented person won, as I said yesterday. Kris won, he could play a bunch of instruments while singing with feeling, and creativity with the ability to connect to more people, even if his voice- which he said from day one, wasn't the best in the contest. Personally, though I would much rather hear his voice then Adam's. However, for what Adam does he is brilliant, but clearly that doesn't mean he should win. Its like asking you to go buy the best bulldozer to drive down the street because it is the best of the powerful bulldozers, when all you wanted was a nice altima to drive around the town on a nice sunny day.

Posted by Dude for Kris May 21, 09 09:10 AM
  1. qdome (#48) has it right - Adam singing with Queen worked last night (although he can't hold a candle to Freddie Mercury); singing with KISS did not. "One long screaming tongue note does not a singer make." Kris's progress from beginning to end typifies a discovery of an unknown...Adam has been out there, doing musical stage shows, etc. - that's not what AI is about, IMO. If Adam were THAT good, why wasn't he discovered before this?

Umm just because he was not discovered does not make him a bad singer. If you have been in the music industry, then you would know it is not that easy to get into the music industry. It is even harder to succeed once you make it. So your comment here is irrelevant and if it was then we can say the same about Kris. Why was he not discovered if he is such a better singer than Adam? Works both ways.

As for the results. I am sorry but if you do some research Adam had this won by a landslide. Last nights performance was proof. I am sorry but Adam stole the show with the Queen and KISS performances. One big thing the judges always say is that the singer needs to leave a lasting impression. Kris does not. Adam does. Wether you like Adam or Kris, Adam leaves the stage and people remember what he does. Wether you like it or not you still remember. Kris, IMO, sounds and acts like anyone else. There is no stage presence or showman ship in his performance. Simple. He is the type of guy you would see doing accustic at the House of Blues or VH1 unplugged.

As for all the people who say that Adam screams, that is proof that America does not see talent where it is. His octave range was far superior than anyone on the stage. Do we recall the Danny Gokey, Aerosmith song? That was proof. Kris is very monotone and even the judges said his range is not there compaired to others.

One last thing to point out. When they asked the audieance who was for Kris it was a mild rumble from the floor. When they asked about Adam it was an over the top roar. Yes I know this is not an indication of what America believes but studies and theorys are done on this principle.

I personally do think there are multiple reasons why Adam did not win and some will call them conspiracies.

1. Fox is a Republican based network. Lets see which would Fox rather see: Gay Emo/Goth, makeup wearing glam rocker or down home Christian?

2. Number one holds true for the general population also. The people who are dening this and saying this had no factor needs to come out of their bubble and realize how the world is.

3. If it was truely liget then it was because Kris was the underdog.

No matter what site you read and no matter what you hear, there are more Kris fans saying "I voted for Kris but honestly thought Adam was going to win." Kris himself even thought he was going to loose. Wether it is legit or conspiracy things are not as black and white as Kris fans are trying to make it out to be. Sorry but this will be investigated and we have not heard the last of it. Will anything come out of it? No but I am sure there will be some investigations. Wouldnt be surprised if the show ends as we know it this year. Reason I say this and someone else mentioned is because of all the talk of Simon quiting and Paula quiting and Kara coming in to replace Paula. We will have to wait and see.

Disclaimer: Before anyone wants to bash me and say that I am completely wrong that is your opinion. Few facts before you try to though. I have been in the music industry and yes I do know how things do work. Both on the band side and on the DJ'ing side. No I could care less who won because IMO both have it made and as so many have said this is great that Adam does not have to sing Kara's horrible song. Either way the ending to this season was a disappointment and just reitterates some of the things Simon has said in the past.

Posted by Jack May 21, 09 09:22 AM
  1. I strongly beleive that it should have been Danny w/Adam or Kris (but all three are awesome singers) I feel that what may have cost Adam the title is that the Danny voters (like me) went to Kris. Yes, I waited for Adam's outfilt to light up but Kiss, Queen even Alice Cooper are Adam but are the people ready to bring back that kind of rock and roll look at what the kids today listen today.
    I hope that Kara is back I liked her and I think she said it like it was and didn't stumble over her words.

Posted by Cee Clark May 21, 09 09:38 AM
  1. Dear Number 2 poster, Gaby, it is actually 2009, my friend.

Posted by BostiniFini May 21, 09 09:50 AM
  1. BostiniFini, I was just about to point that out!

Posted by Gaby May 20, 09 09:48 PM

FAIL!!

Posted by Gaby is an idiot! May 21, 09 10:36 AM
  1. Did anyone else have trouble voting? I tried for two hours -- did not get a busy, just the line went dead. Not sure if they were just jammed or if there was a problem. I was trying to vote for Adam -- tried all three of his numbers.

Anyhow, congrats Kris. They both will have wonderful careers -- two very classy guys.

Posted by golfer2002 May 21, 09 10:57 AM
  1. Hey Jack, #78: No one says all Adam does is scream. What I'm saying is (and probably many others would agree) he USES the trademark scream all too much and all too predictably. There's something to be said for the term, "less is more." You become a caricature when you become as predictable as he became. You could almost TIME when the scream would start.

The Gay/Goth thing vs. the "down home Christian" may be true to some extent, but I really don't believe it was the thing that won it for Kris. That implication falls in line with Red Stat/Blue State, which is a lot of hogwash. Both my wife and I are so left-of-center we are borderline communist. We voted for Obama. We think HE'S centrist. And, we BOTH couldn't stand Adam's OVER THE TOP style. It's just preference. You like it, and that's fine. Some people don't. But, if we don't like it, there must be some underlying societal reason why? Please. You're over-analyzing here. Adam = cartoon character. Kris = low key, multi-talented singer/musician. It's a matter of preference, not homophobia, or liberal vs. conservative.

Investigation? Who's gonna do it? And, who's gonna care?

With the world on the verge of economic collapse, and war and terrorism abounding everywhere on the globe, yeah, I guess Congress could look into this. Sure. Why not. Write your Congressman or Senator.

Posted by mattal1958 May 21, 09 10:58 AM
  1. Fixed News was hyping this all week as Gay vs. Christian. That is where the homophobia charges are coming from.

AI needs to rethink voting procedures for this show if they want to be perceived as being fair. Having your news channel egging viewers on to vote against the "Gay Agenda" is not the way to do it.

Posted by Cap'n Geech May 21, 09 11:07 AM
  1. Kris Allen....DESERVED TO WIN. GET OVER IT!

Posted by JLS May 21, 09 11:18 AM
  1. Look, they were both good, and I simply preferred Kris to Adam's glam rock crooning. Doesn't mean I'm a homophobe, just that I preferred one style over another. Both contestants made it clear that they hoped neither sexuality nor religion would play a part in the decision, and in the end, really, who cares? If American Idol is a cultural litmus test, we all have issues. They'll both get record deals, Kris will probably go back to his family, and Adam will have a moderately successful career. Huzzah! I was more annoyed with the judges' blatant drooling over Adam than anything else, and the fact that Simon was visibly pissed and pouting after the announcement was bad form.

Posted by TheHotCorner06 May 21, 09 11:43 AM
  1. Jack (#78) says "As for the results. I am sorry but if you do some research Adam had this won by a landslide. Last nights performance was proof. I am sorry but Adam stole the show with the Queen and KISS performances."
    ~~~~~~~~~
    And AGAIN, Jack - I'll repeat it - that's YOUR opinion. Everyone has them. You can be sorry or not. Not everyone thought that Adam was the "best". You don't hear screeching; I do.

Enough people voted to put Kris over the top - obviously MORE than enough so that Ryan didn't even say how much Kris won by! It was probably more than they had expected after everyone (judges, media, et al) were pushing Adam as the winner. So not everyone thinks he's "all that." OK?

And please -just GET OVER the anti-gay/conservative/Christian conspiracy theory. It's a talent/popularity show! And WTH are you talking about an "investigation"?!?!?! LOL! There's NOTHING to investigate! Good lord, it's not Watergate or MonicaGate, fer cryin' out loud! There's no other shooter on the grassy knoll! To even make that statement is beyond laughable.

As I've said - BOTH singers (and probably Allison) will do very well in their OWN genres. Everyone likes different music. You can feel free to go buy Adam's CD when it comes out.

Posted by Linda May 21, 09 11:48 AM
  1. P.S. to Jack - you said "we can say the same about Kris. Why was he not discovered if he is such a better singer than Adam? Works both ways."
    ~~~~~~~
    Because Adam was in the BUSINESS already - Kris wasn't - he's a student studying business in Arkansas! Adam had been working towards this his whole life. Kris wasn't. Kris was still an "undiscovered", even tho he released an album in 2007.

Adam's been on stage since (he said) he was 10 years old. His JOB/career is as a singer/performer. Adam's been doing auditions and tryouts for various stage productions, etc. for a LONG time. If he was so brilliant, he should have made it already and wouldn't have needed the exposure on AI.

Posted by Linda May 21, 09 11:56 AM
  1. Well, I'm so depressed over the outcome. I sure as heck hope that America didn't turn on Adam for all the wrong reasons. Afterall, Kris is a nice, talented young man. He sang well tonight and even did a great job on that horrible "no boundaries" song. My hat's off to Kara for duking it out with Bikini Girl. She's got abs to die for and can really sing!

Wasn't Adam astoundingly well mannered and gracious when he lost?

I think Kris is just more palatable for the American public and Adam is a little to in your face. I look at the positives:

Adam is far too glam to be sitting on the back of a Ford Fusion convertible in little hometown parades. Look at the bright side. He will never sing at any venue associated with Disney. He would have been crucified by the press for his style and difference. He will go on to great things! I'll support him with my wallet rather than my redial finger.

Kris will do well--he's the more homespun boy, and he's perfect for the idol bobble-head car dummy. And I don't mean that disrespectfully--this turned out alright, I guess???

Posted by Deedle May 21, 09 12:29 PM
  1. For all those lamenting Adam not winning, here is something to think
    about. He is far better off. Most importantly he will NOT
    have to record that hideous song that was written for them,
    "No Boundries". Talk about a sappy formula song in the vein of
    the awful "Wind Beneath My Wings".

The finale was horrible. They should be letting the finalists
    pick their own songs. American Idol made the finale show about
    American Idol and NOT about the finalists. It was a joke after
    a great season.

But Adam was the real winner last night. Now he has control over
    the type of CD he wants to create, unlike Kris who will have
    to release a CD filled with formula songs and schlock.

The addition of Kara as a judge was an abject failure in my
    opinion. She brings nothing new to the show. Now her biggest
    impact is that she co-wrote one of the most horrible pieces
    of music ever penned.

American Idol is in danger of becoming too big for it's own
    good, much like what happened to "Survivor". Survivor strayed
    away from it's original formula and the ratings plummeted.
    Not a surprise.

American Idol needs some changes. The finale MUST be all about
    the contestents. Kara needs to go as she adds nothing to the
    show, she just takes up space and time. While Paula is no
    Einstein, she was part of the original formula while Kara is
    not.

Adam lost but he's better off.

Posted by Gary May 21, 09 12:45 PM
  1. For those who said Adam did not win because of homophobia and racism, you have it all wrong. Majority of people voting for AI multiple times (you don't believe 100 million people actually casted their votes, do you?) were girls ages 8 to 14. Chris is cute, thats all.

Posted by Mark May 21, 09 12:49 PM
  1. The "heterophobes" are attacking Kris ... and America. Get a life of tolerance, for the majority in this country. So you cannot stand religious people or mainstream Americans...get over it. All four of us heteros, watching the show, were decidedly for Adam and shocked by the result. Nowhere in his appearances or in his performances did Adam play the gay-in-your-face attitude. He's a man of great talent, a powerful theatrical personality, one obviously who is comfortable in his own skin, and one who will succeed in the multicultural and tolerant society that defines "America.". Good luck to him...and to Kris, a solid performer who will find his niche in the business.

Posted by Live and Let Live May 21, 09 01:01 PM
  1. Pour the Atlantic Ocean into a Dixie cup. Now, pour the Pacific into another. Which ocean holds more water? Can you tell by how much is in the Dixie cups? Of course not.

The AI voting system is flawed. Both singers get more busy signals than votes in the initial voting process, but you have no idea who is getting more ATTEMPTS at voting because many of the voters are clogged out of the process. All that get counted are the ones who manage to slip through the clog, which is always going to be roughly the same number. (Think: why is it always SUCH a close vote?)

The solution: have a central voting number, THEN press 01 for Adam, 02 for Kris, etc. Then, you'd see accurate results. With the current system, once you get down to the final 5 or so, it's pure luck who goes home.

That having been said, I though Adam should have won - and I'm a Republican! Please, gimme a break with the homophobia stuff: sometime, as Freud said, a cigar is just a cigar.

Posted by Noguarinis May 21, 09 01:27 PM
  1. Why is it that when people vote "for" one candidate or contestant, it's considered "anti"-racist, -ethnic, -religious, or whatever that other candidate / contestant happens to be that's not at all related to the basis of the vote? Not all choices are based on race, ethnicity, or sexual preference. In this case, more people probably preferred country over heavy rock.

Posted by liz May 21, 09 01:48 PM
  1. W.T.F??????????

Posted by Aghast May 21, 09 02:05 PM
  1. Hi all! I just came back from my lunch break where I listened to a local talk show on radio and the topic was "Did Adam lose because of all the homophobic, Christian Conservatives"???

Unreal!!! Isn't it possible that the majority of vote casting people actually PREFERED Kris to Adam??? Isn't it??

Lets give credit where it is due...there were 100 million votes cast in a four hour period. While I faithfully watch American Idol every season (well, sometimes I miss the silliness of the early auditions), I rarely vote. My children will vote...but once or twice and the old fashioned way...by our landline telephone. After a few minutes of busy signals, they give up and go to bed. Most of my friends and co-workers do not spend hours texting or calling in votes...they're busy adults with busy lives. So, who votes 100 million times??? I'm pretty sure that would be thekids. And you can bet that the KIDS who really loved Danny Gokey swung their little texting fingers towards Kris. How many young teens and pre-teens really relate to glam rock?? Someone like Kris is more within their sphere of musical knowledge....oh, and he's cute...lets not gloss over that. :) #91 Mark...you are dead on.

Both Adam and Kris are talented young men. They are worlds apart in style, appeal to a different audience and no one disputes their abilities. Hopefully, this will be a good launching pad for both of them. I PREFERRED Kris' style to Adam's...that does not make me a Conservative homo-phobe. I said it earlier, I will say it again. Lets keep this in its proper perspective as many of us have already stated (as a TELEVISION SHOW). Good Luck Kris AND Adam!!! :)

Posted by Tina T May 21, 09 02:16 PM
  1. American Idol producers need to ask themselves if this is a singing contest or a talent contest. If its a singing contest, Adam would have won by a landslide. If it's a talent contest, Kris would have won by a landslide.

Kris won my vote, not just because he is amazingly multi-talented, but because of his humble, ego-less persona - important characteristics sorely lacking in today's culture.

Posted by rain317 May 21, 09 02:30 PM
  1. I think Adam should have won. Adam Can really sing. I hope he gets a record deal in the near future. If he keep singing like that. People will be hearing him sing again, and just maybe as star on American idol, just like Jennifer Hudson. Adam don't need people to help make him to be a star, just his talent and himself. His gift will make room for him.

Posted by Gab May 21, 09 02:31 PM
  1. I don't think Adam lost solely because of the pics circulating the net or even the fact that he may be gay or bi... (btw so effen what). I believe a lot of it is the fact that he is a rocker and a great artist. I was also extremely pissed when Alison left, sorry Danny and Kris... she should have been in the top 3 at least. I was also pissed when Bo Bice lost... he was clearly more talented and you know what? I can't even remember who won that year that's how memorable that person was. A rocker/true artist will never win this show because that combination is wayyy more individual, eccentric, innovative and eccentric than they can control. Artists tend to follow their own drummer, I am one on canvas and oboy am I stubborn :)

to be told what to

Posted by Dark-Dezire May 21, 09 02:46 PM
  1. I'm new to forums. Can someone please tell me why I keep running out of room and can't add more text to the typing box?

Posted by Dark-Dezire May 21, 09 02:48 PM
  1. Dark-Dezire - their formatting here is REALLY screwed up for the Comment Box. I've discovered you can use your up/down arrows to get to the text that seems to have disappeared below the comments box....or scroll back up if you want to change something in earlier paragraphs.

HTH!

Posted by Linda May 21, 09 03:44 PM
  1. To those that are complaining that the title is a "spoiler" because they planned to watch it on DVR. IT"S LIVE TV and OBVIOUSLY will be a headline news story. You should know it's going to be a headline... so AVOID NEWSPAPERS, TV and INTERNET until you watched your precious DVR.

Wish Adam won. But okay with Kris (because he's cute).

Posted by tallMon May 21, 09 08:52 PM
  1. Linda - you like white rice and plain pasta with some butter and a little salt. Go on... admit it. You like bland. That and you have tin ears.

Posted by john May 21, 09 08:52 PM
  1. Um ... Gaby? It's 2009.

Posted by Lolly May 21, 09 09:03 PM
  1. I felt Kara's spectacle demeaned the show and took it a huge notch below what families should get when watching Idol. Also, to go back to a comment Paula made to Ryan about "there's more under my skirt" was again inappropriate. If Idol can't be #1 without resorting to cheap and suggestive conversation and actions, then it doesn't deserve that place. And the bikini shouldn't have been allowed either!! I like Idol and will be a bigger fan if you clean up your mouths and actions! You talk about role models for our youth. Is KISS and other groups what we want our kids to follow? (violence, darkness, etc)

Posted by ramona simons May 22, 09 01:17 AM
  1. How could one small area of the country where the winner lives account for that many millions of votes if they did it legitimately???? They couldn't. Think about it! Voting software....phone dialing programs! Tying up the voting lines so others couldn't get in even after many tried, calling hundreds of times trying and finally giving up and going to bed? The "winner", from a religious family background, can't be looking in his mirror and be feeling they were doing the "right and honest thing". Seems he knew Adam should have won too. I am sorry and wish Kris well but he has a pleasant, not extraordinary voice, and plays guitar a bit and has the cute boy next door look. Adam has an extraordinary gift...multifaceted talent...too bad. Mosdisappointin

Posted by Christine Spaulding May 22, 09 06:45 AM
    ~~~~~~~
    Typical john (#103) - you come back with snotty retorts that really say absolutely nothing. Quite democratic of you, isn't it? Your way is the ONLY way. What a surprise.

And of course, no comment to the fact that people like different music - if you don't like what john-boy likes, you "have a tin ear". @@ Seriously, john-boy - that's the best you can come up with? Just so you know, the phrasing is termed as just having "a tin ear" -- not "tin ears" -- but then again, there's really no use arguing semantics with someone who is clearly defenseless when it comes to similes.

Someone who can play guitar, piano, and sing on key without screeching won the contest - by seemingly a VERY large margin! Get over it. But you go ahead and have fun with your Screech.

Posted by Linda May 22, 09 07:45 AM
  1. It's incredible that so many people are unable to accept the idea that their choices may not always be the most popular ones. Everything is a conspiracy, or rigged, or a mistake. Adam lost not because people liked Kris more or because Adam's vocal style (NOT his talent) turned a lot of people off; no, it had to be some other reason. Get over yourselves. Why is it so important to you people to have your tastes validated by others?

Oh, and the Allison Iraheta/Cyndi Lauper duet was the best of the night, and if anyone should have won the whole thing, Allison should have. But I'm not going to throw a temper tantrum like so many of Adam's fans just because she didn't.

Posted by Andy Anonymous May 22, 09 09:34 AM
  1. I would potentially go to see Adam in concert if he puts together the right band. What a show that would be.

On the other hand, I would rather listen to Kris Allen in the car, etc., on a regular basis. He's more mainstream and has better shelf life from a listening perspective.

Kris won because he appeals to the mainstream. His style. His talent.
    Adam didn't lose. He'll do just fine in his own genre, whatever that turns out to be.

Adam's only problem was that some people didn't know how to interpret him.

Posted by bubba May 22, 09 10:52 AM
  1. ADAM SHOULD HAVE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE IS SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ORIGINAL!!!!
    KRIS IS SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO BORING AND PLAIN I CANT BELIEVE HE WON!!!!!!!! I WUZ CRYING I WUZ SSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PISSED OFF!!!!

Posted by JILL May 22, 09 01:41 PM
  1. Can you please shut up! Stop all of this non-sense! The voters chose Kris because everytime he sings, he sings with his HEART, unlike Adam who sings only with facial expression and schemic body language (and theatrical costumes). Sure his vocal range is superb but when you JUST listen to him and not see him perform, you would feel empty. Try listening to Kris, and you would feel the emotions of the song.... These are the reasons why Americans preferred Kris over Adam. So please let it be………

Posted by Janine Macarat May 23, 09 07:33 PM
  1. For me...a middle aged gal, I just enjoyed the sound and tone of Kris's vocals better than Adam. Their sexuality is no concern of mine, but I like Keith Urban...and Kris's vocals fit well into that. Really...the folks who voted for Kris will want his music because they enjoy that sound...and those who like Adam will buy his stuff. I did think Adam had so many advantages in this competition and announcing who had arranged what song etc. With Kris, you just saw him at the piano figuring it out. A definite difference and hopefully both will feel pleased and happy with their careers at the end of the day.

Posted by Anna May 23, 09 09:25 PM
  1. I'll be honest, I didn't vote on the finale because it was the only week where I was a 50-50 split. Every other week there was either somebody for which I thought it was time to leave or there were people I wanted to definitely stay. I thought both Kris and Adam were so great that I really couldn't decide, and since I thought they both deserve the title, disappointing me with the winner was not possible. Why did Kris win when Adam had such a strong fan base? I think it is due to several reasons. First of all, there is the reason I mentioned above, which is certain people not voting due to the 50-50 opinion. Second, there were probably more people from the older generations voting this week, and they are probably more likely to like Kris's style simply because of the style and look. And last, something that sometimes happens in voting, which may be related to the first thing I said, is that sometimes if someone is too sure that someone will win, they don't think it is necessary to vote (that wasn't the case with me, but I know people that have used this philosophy). So who does America think is better? I guess we'll have to wait and see who sells more albums and stuff. Who do the voters think is better? Well, as long as nobody spent 4 hours submitting votes (I think there should be some kind of 5 votes per phone number or something to prevent obsessive voting), I think we can make the conclusion that it's Kris.

Posted by Nathan Sokalski May 25, 09 12:48 AM
  1. GIRL POWER exposed!!

What we seen on the finale of AI 2009 was a perfect example of "Girl Power." This is the same power that all the feminazis proudly declare and worship. Adam didnt lose because he is gay, or because he dresses funny, he lost because Kris is "cuter." Ask any corporate executive/music producer about the voting/buying power of tween girls. "Girl Power" has made them billions. I just like to expose "girl Power" for what it is, hysterical, emotional, sexual frenzy nonsense. If you dont believe me just rewatch the 2009 season of AI.

Posted by Karl May 25, 09 12:00 PM

About Viewer Discretion

What we're watching on TV.

Katie McLeod is Boston.com's features editor.

Emily Wright is an Arts & Entertainment producer at Boston.com.

Sarah Rodman is a TV and music critic for the Boston Globe.