March 9, 2009

Big Picture at SXSW

I'm excited to be heading to Austin, Texas in a week for the South by Southwest Interactive Festival. It's my first time to Austin, even though I've been a judge for their Web Awards ceremonies in the past (even won an award for Technical Achievement a while back).

The Big Picture is a finalist in the SXSWi Web Awards, blog category (all finalists here). I'm also going to be giving a talk about The Big Picture on Tuesday the 17th at 10 am (more here). Be sure and say hi if you're there and see me wandering about the place.

Also, if you have any requests or subjects you might want me to discuss, or pointers for speaking style, feel free to let me know either directly, or in the comments below, thanks!

-Alan

Email to a friend  |    |
Related Sites

Large-size news photo sites:
Blogs/Photo News:
Photos/Collections:
Multimedia storytelling:
Previously featured photographers on TBP:

Oh Alan, you'll LOVE Austin. I moved to Colorado a year ago from Austin, and I miss everything about it, except for the summer heat.

Good luck!

Posted by Tim Solley March 9, 09 04:19 PM

Good luck! -hopefully the judges will appreciate your work as much as we do/ Austin is a blast - and you'll love the change in weather

Posted by denheels March 9, 09 06:24 PM

I would love to come visit and listen to you talk, shame I'm not on the right continent! Good luck at sxsw Alan.

ps. just a quick note - your first two links are broken, looks like a rouge hyphen got in there.

Posted by KiZ March 9, 09 06:48 PM

Feel free to shoot me an email if you need recommendations. As a native Austinite, I would be happy to let you in on the local secrets! Thanks for your great blog & I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Posted by Simone March 9, 09 10:16 PM

Alan, a couple of Boston cats will be sitting in your panel this weekend. We'll be sure to send a shout-out.

Posted by DYKC? March 9, 09 11:05 PM

Good luck! While you're there take a look around the capitol and hit up Chuy's for some incredible Tex-Mex. They're at 1728 Barton Springs Rd.

Posted by Aaron March 10, 09 04:02 AM

Try to catch Semi Precious Weapons while you are there...great live show!

Posted by Kristin March 10, 09 04:50 AM

you deserve a win. have fun out there. hope someone is videotaping your talk - sure many would love to see that. rock on, mr. taylor.

Posted by hidalgo March 10, 09 09:30 AM

Alan, I'm greatly looking forward to seeing you in Austin. I'm traveling with some colleagues that would probably like to have a drink/meal with you, too.

Posted by Craig March 10, 09 10:01 AM

I work at the Austin American-Statesman and i have been trying to pimp this site for awhile. The Statesman just start a photoblog:

I hope you enjoy your time in Austin. I would try Manuel's on Congress for a great local restaurant.

Posted by Gregory J Amani Smith March 10, 09 02:22 PM

Fantastic talk this morning, Alan. Enjoyed meeting you. Your work and enthusiasm for photography certainly is inspiring.

cheers,
phil harvey

Posted by Phil March 18, 09 12:08 AM

Your SXSWi session was terrific, though I regretted putting on mascara following the final, emotion-laden photos.
I hope you continue to find ways to scale this project over time. Keep up the terrific work and thank you,
Lydia Mann, NYC

Posted by Lydia Mann March 18, 09 10:49 AM

Thanks for a great presentation at SXSWi and the work you do here. I really enjoyed the background on how you started this. To see other papers taking thing idea and running with it is very encouraging.

Posted by Derek March 19, 09 02:56 PM