THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
A CHANGED COURSE ON GUANTANAMO

Detention center doors open onto a world of terror

January 27, 2009
  • Email|
  • Print|
  • Single Page|
  • |
Text size +

BEFORE CLOSING Guantanamo, consideration must be given to the disposition of the very dangerous criminals who are being held there ("Obama changes US course on treatment of detainees," Page A1, Jan. 23). In many cases, if they are returned to their homeland, they will simply be released to rejoin a terrorist organization and attempt to harm America and Americans throughout the world.

For example, an Internet posting made public last week, purportedly by Al Qaeda in Yemen, says the group's second in command is a Saudi national who was released from Guantanamo in 2007.

The posting by the Yemeni group, known as "Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula," surfaced on websites that regularly carry Al Qaeda messages. It says the man returned to his home in Saudi Arabia after his release from Guantanamo, and from there went to Yemen to join the terror group.

He was identified as Said Ali al-Shihri. It says his prisoner number in Guantanamo was 372.
Steve Alpert, Norwell

  • Email
  • Email
  • Print
  • Print
  • Single page
  • Single page
  • Reprints
  • Reprints
  • Share
  • Share
  • Comment
  • Comment
 
  • Share on DiggShare on Digg
  • Tag with Del.icio.us Save this article
  • powered by Del.icio.us
Your Name Your e-mail address (for return address purposes) E-mail address of recipients (separate multiple addresses with commas) Name and both e-mail fields are required.
Message (optional)
Disclaimer: Boston.com does not share this information or keep it permanently, as it is for the sole purpose of sending this one time e-mail.

More opinions

Find the latest columns from: