Sun | Two Door Cinema Club Listen Live

Hurley has a blog

Posted by Robin Abrahams  January 19, 2009 06:21 AM

I've written before about how, if I hear a sentence with the same rhythm as a song, I hear it to the tune of that song. And some of you wrote in and said you do the same thing. So my deepest apologies if the headline for this post gave anyone an earworm for "Janie's Got a Gun." I had that song stuck in my head for three days straight once, and if Robin had had a gun, Robin would have ended it.

Anyway.

If you're a fan like me, if the Inauguration festivities are just a welcome distraction until the real action hits on Wednesday--the season premiere of "Lost"--then you might enjoy perusing Jorge Garcia's blog. It's a very funny and totally charming blog; essentially, Mr. Garcia comes across like a much, much smarter version of Hurley. Who is one of my favorite characters; despite my highminded visions of myself as the Drew Gilpin Faust of the island, I suspect if I were one of the Losties I'd just be trying to spend my days with Hurley and my nights with Sayid.

Thread's open to discuss "Lost"--no spoilers, please, but everything else is fair game. Who's your favorite character? Least favorite? What do you think will happen this season? Who's your island crush? Why is Sawyer the only person who reads? Is Ben really evil? Are you as glad that Charlie finally died as I am? Which "Lost" character are you?

Three more days!

This blog is not written or edited by Boston.com or the Boston Globe.
The author is solely responsible for the content.

1. The fact that you are a Lost fan just adds to my devotion to Miss Conduct. :)

I have no predictions, I'm just fascinated by watching it all unfold.

Posted by Jenn T January 19, 09 09:34 AM
  1. I just hope they have some sort of ending in mind. If they wind up flailing around, it will make me very sad.

Posted by ruthling January 19, 09 12:01 PM
  1. I heart Sayid, too. Absolutely my island crush. Wasn't glad necessarily when Charlie died -- it seemed necessary for his character, but it was the death that hit me the hardest emotionally at the time. However, between the weirdness with Claire (alive? dead? parallel universe?) and the unknown fate of Jin (still holding out some -- admittedly slim -- hope that he lives), Charlie's death lost some impact.

Honestly, I could do without Jack most of the time. For someone who is supposed to be the man of science, he is awfully prone to letting this emotions dictate his actions. I don't think Ben is truly evil as much as he is a pragmatic egomaniac -- he doesn't WANT bad things to happen to good people (which, to me, is a defining characteristic of evil), he's just not particularly concerned when those things happen. He's more Jeremy Bentham than Locke, in the philosophical sense.

Posted by Ariel January 19, 09 01:24 PM
  1. Like Jenn, your Lost fandom is just one more good reason to read your blog, and like you, I too am committed to work late on Wednesday night, but will have the DVR prepped and ready to go.

I'm looking forward to finding out more about Ben this season. His character is fascinating, as is his acting. I love the fact that he was originally only scheduled to appear in a few episodes and ended up acting his way into the heart of the story.

I'm also a sucker for the whole Desmond/Penny plot line, and I think that we'll find out that both of them will be crucial to the end game.

You should check out the latest Doc Jensen column. He recommends some episodes to rewatch, in order to understand what's to come a little better, and he has some insights into the coming season without giving away any spoilers.

Good board etiquitte prevents me from posting a link to my own site, with reviews and screen caps, but a simple search on my screen name, if you were so inclined, might turn up something.

Posted by berryjooks January 19, 09 10:26 PM
  1. Robin, I love that you love this show! I just realized that today is the premiere and my day just got a LOT more interesting!

I have to say, I mostly avoid all the online speculation and spoilers, etc. I really just love watching it all unfold and just enjoying it for what it is - a fascinating character study. I mean, there are a lot of truly amazing events and lots of fun stuff happening, but what is the most meaningful for me is how these people react to it - how they interact with each other and how their lives seem to be connected in ways that are just mind boggling. Now that the end is in sight, the story should get pretty intense!

Posted by Lisa January 21, 09 04:18 PM

About Miss Conduct
Welcome to Miss Conduct’s blog, a place where the popular Boston Globe Magazine columnist Robin Abrahams and her readers share etiquette tips, unravel social conundrums, and gossip about social behavior in pop culture and the news. Have a question of your own? Ask Robin using this form or by emailing her at missconduct@globe.com.
contributor

Who is Miss Conduct?

Robin Abrahamswrites the weekly "Miss Conduct" column for The Boston Globe Magazine and is the author of Miss Conduct's Mind over Manners. Robin has a PhD in psychology from Boston University and also works as a research associate at Harvard Business School. Her column is informed by her experience as a theater publicist, organizational-change communications manager, editor, stand-up comedian, and professor of psychology and English. She lives in Cambridge with her husband Marc Abrahams, the founder of the Ig Nobel Prizes, and their socially challenged but charismatic dog, Milo.

Need Advice?

Curious if you should say "bless you" to a sneezing atheist? How to host a dinner party for carbophobes, vegans, and Atkins disciples—all at the same time? The finer points of regifting? Ask it here, or email missconduct@globe.com.

Ask us a question