boston.com News your connection to The Boston Globe
Globe West Updates News and updates from the Globe West Zone

« Cosmetic procedure -- UPDATE | Main | Greineder case retold »

Monday, July 31, 2006

Cosmetic procedure -- UPDATE

FRAMINGHAM

A man and his wife pleaded not guilty today to allegations that they operated an unlicensed cosmetic surgery clinic in their Framingham basement, which police say investigators raided Sunday when a 23-year-old woman died after receiving liposuction.

Miranda Ribeiro, 49, wept in Framingham District Court as she and her husband, Luiz Carlos Ribeiro, 49, pleaded not guilty to licensing and drug charges filed after the death of Fabiola de Paula on Sunday.

Assistant District Attorney Lee Hettinger said in court that Brazilian Luiz Carlos Ribeiro was in the United States for 30 days on a work visa and had been performing unlicensed surgeries in their basement with his wife acting as an attending nurse.

“There was a tremendous amount of blood protein on the floor in the basement,” said Hettinger, adding that investigators found a set of surgical tools used in liposuction procedures in a dumpster.

Read more in tomorrow's City and Region section.

-- John Ellement and Andrew Ryan

Sponsored Links