Thursday, July 6, 2006
The Franklin schools announced today that a salmonella outbreak that affected the Jefferson Elementary School recently was caused by owl pellets that had been used for a 5th grade science experiment.
Officials estimate that 50 students became ill. They have confirmed 28 cases of salmonellosis.
The schools said in a news release that the state Department of Public Health's Epidemiology Program will recommend new procedures for the use of owl pellets in science projects before the next school year begins.
-- Erica Tochin