< Back to Front Page Text size +

Fire chief: Franklin blaze appears accidental

Posted by Martin Finucane March 9, 2007 11:34 AM

FRANKLIN

Franklin Fire Chief Gary McCarraher says a three-alarm fire that broke out at an industrial building early this morning was likely accidental.

The automotive insulation manufactured by Clark-Cutler-McDermott Co. on Fisher Street is the likely culprit, McCarraher said.

McCarraher said it appeared the material came into contact with some kind of heat source, possibly one of the machines used to make it, then burst into flame.

“We’re still trying to tack that down, but we believe it was accidental in nature," he said.

The call came in at 3:57 a.m., and Franklin firefighters were on the scene at 4:02 a.m. They were aided by firefighters from Bellingham, Norfolk, Medway, Milford, and Wrentham.

The fire was brought under control at 5:20 a.m., McCarraher said.

The fire damage was limited to the area around the machine where the blaze started, but the building sustained substantial water damage.

One firefighter was injured in a fall on the ice. He was treated at a hospital and released.

– Calvin Hennick


add your comment
Required
Required (will not be published)

This blogger might want to review your comment before posting it.

About globe west updates Welcome to Globe West Updates, the news blog of the Globe West regional section of The Boston Globe. Check in with us often to see updated items about Boston's western suburbs from our staff reporters and correspondents. Give us your reaction to our stories in the print editions or on the blog by using the form below. Get involved — with Globe West!
archives