Highlighting the top performances from Saturday's area state tournament action:
* Senior 6-5 center Carolyn Swords was immense, scoring 30 points with 19 rebounds as the Lincoln-Sudbury girls rolled over Arlington Catholic 80-59 in a Divison 2 North quarterfinal.
* Senior forward Denise Beliveau was dominant with 23 points and 13 rebounds in the Framingham girls' 54-37 win over Franklin in a Division 1 South quarterfinal.
* Junior guard Nicole Driscoll poured in a career-high 28 points as the Hopkinton girls stunned host Whitman-Hanson 63-44 in a Division 2 South quarterfinal.
* Mike Pearless made 30 stops, including a huge save with 12 seconds left to lift the Framingham boys' hockey team to a 4-3 Division 1 South quarterfinal win over nemesis Springfield Cathedral.
* Junior Don Hopkins netted a pair of goals and an assist to power Waltham to a 4-3 Division 1 North quarterfinal win over Arlington Catholic.
* DeShaun Townsend banked in a shot with 10 seconds left in ovetime to propel the Wellesley boys' basketball team to a 48-47 Division 2 South first-round win over Falmouth.
WHAT'S ON TAP?
* The St. Mark's boys' and girls' basketball teams are both shooting for New England Prep crowns this afternoon. The Lion boys (24-7) will try to repeat as Class C champs, taking on Lawrence Academy, with a noon tap at Worcester Academy. The St. Mark's girls (20-4) face Cushing in the Class B title game at Loomis Chaffee at 3.
* There's a basketball triple-header at WPI with three Central Division 1 semifinals: Holy Name vs. Marlborough boys at 1; Milford vs. St. John's at 3; and the unbeaten Westborough girls vs. Shepherd Hill at 6:45.
* In a Division 1 South boys' hockey quarterfinal in Bourne, Needham faces Duxbury at 2:15.
-- Craig Larson
This blogger might want to review your comment before posting it.