< Back to Front Page Text size +

Natick gas line break forces home evacuation

Posted by Martin Finucane April 2, 2007 03:55 PM

NATICK

Several homes were evacuated this morning when a Natick Collection contractor hit a gas line near the intersection of Speen and Hartford streets in Natick.

The incident occurred shortly after 8 a.m. and gas in the immediate area was shut off, affecting eight homes, said Mike Durand, spokesman for NSTAR. By 11:30 a.m., gas had been restored to three of them, though Durand said that full service should be restored by the end of the day.

Natick Fire Department Deputy Chief Ed Connelly said that 12 homes were evacuated, but residents were allowed to return after only a short wait.

An independent contractor was working in the area, installing new crosswalk lights for the Natick Mall mall expansion project when the 2-inch intermediate-pressure line was struck, Connelly said.

Speen and Hartford streets were reopened by 10:30 a.m., Connelly said.

-- Adam Sell

add your comment
Required
Required (will not be published)

This blogger might want to review your comment before posting it.

About globe west updates Welcome to Globe West Updates, the news blog of the Globe West regional section of The Boston Globe. Check in with us often to see updated items about Boston's western suburbs from our staff reporters and correspondents. Give us your reaction to our stories in the print editions or on the blog by using the form below. Get involved with Globe West!
archives