< Back to Front Page Text size +

Newton Centre Starbucks is shuttered

Posted October 26, 2008 11:54 AM

The Starbucks housed in Newton Centre's railroad station has shut down, despite protests from coffee lovers when a round of planned store closures was announced this summer.

"Our sincerest apologies, this Starbucks is closed,'' reads a sign on the door.

Just after 9 a.m. Friday, several frustrated coffee drinkers discovered the doors closed. They yanked the door and tried to open it, but had no luck. Inside, it appeared coffee making equipment had been removed.

Starbucks announced it was closing 600 stores, including seven in Massachusetts, this summer. It has about 200 stores in the state.

Here is a state by state list of the closures announced this summer.

In Newton, protesters formed a petition drive and complained that a nearby Starbucks, less than two blocks away, lacked the charm of the train station location with its wood paneled interior. The train station was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976, according to a plaque on the building.

"Rather than close the newer, "McStarbucks" on Center Street, Starbucks has chosen to close what has to be one of the most unique locations it has. The old train station location is spacious, airy, and welcoming. My kids have enjoyed the passing trains and great Starbucks staff for years,'' wrote one petition signer.

What are your memories of the train station Starbucks in Newton Centre?

1. ..None.....glad Starbucks is closing their coffee houses one by one.....sayonara to overly expensive coffee.

Posted by gungho-guy October 26, 08 12:44 PM
  1. I remember when it was a Coffee Connection. I used to go every couple of weeks for a pound of coffee which they would grind for me, and a dozen bagels from Rosenfields. The car smelled great on the ride home! It was a landmark location and--with all those commuters--I would think it would be a profitable one for Starbucks. I couldn't believe they picked this site as one of seven in Massachusetts, to close.

Posted by Greg October 26, 08 12:56 PM
  1. My memories go back to when it was a Coffee Connection. Always a great place.

Posted by Steveo October 26, 08 01:23 PM
  1. While a law student at Boston College some years ago, I spent a good deal of time studying in this Starbucks and continued that tradition following school in preparing for the bar exam. I'm saddened. I'm also disappointed by Starbucks, which apparently compounded its initial error, flooding the area with too many locations, by choosing the soul-less over the charming.

Posted by Michael October 26, 08 01:53 PM
  1. When that location was one of The Coffee Connection locations, it was one of the most charming coffee shops I had been into. When the *$'s chain came in most of the charm was removed. This closure is just a continuation of that process.

Posted by Question Mark October 26, 08 01:54 PM
  1. If you're looking for charm/culture, why are you looking at 1) Starbucks in 2) Newton?

-SD

Posted by Sebastian Dangerfield October 26, 08 03:22 PM
  1. the prior coffe connection was better
    circa ealy 1990's

Posted by alan epstein October 26, 08 04:53 PM
  1. This is the same railroad station where my parents, circa 1937, stood to wait
    for the BandA train to take them to Back Bay station. My dad was in theology school at Andover Newton. The T took over the BandA roadbed in the early 1960s.
    Starbucks was a sign of civility between the past and present. The station atmosphere may lose its nostalgia. Coffee is a commonality to the late 1930s
    and 2008. Another artifact of history will be lost. -john rouse, muncie, in.10/26/08.

Posted by john rouse October 26, 08 04:59 PM
  1. Starbucks would have kept the location open if there was enough charm to pull in a profit. Funny how capitalism works.

Posted by Bryan October 26, 08 05:13 PM
  1. Aren't there more important things to protest?

Posted by J October 26, 08 05:21 PM
  1. its just coffee for goodness sake. whats the big deal? petitions for what ? drive down the road. you don't have to go far. don't make a fuss about something SO trivial....

Posted by Theresa October 26, 08 05:29 PM
  1. DO you people have anything better to do? What a joke...

Posted by Bob October 26, 08 05:55 PM
  1. I loved the location and sad it's gone. I hope we don't get another bank (there are 8 already in Newton Centre) or nail salon.
    Where is all the charm of Newton Center going?

Posted by Caren October 26, 08 06:19 PM
  1. I too remember when that location was the Coffee Connection. My sister used to go there to get their great coffees from her home in New Jersey. Once it became a Starbucks I stopped going there.

Posted by DublD October 26, 08 06:36 PM
  1. Maybe Dunkin' Donuts will open a shop there. They have good coffee.

Posted by Archimedes October 26, 08 06:36 PM
  1. This thread is depressing.

While it's definitely in a cool/unique location, it was too big for what they did with it. It's like they just plopped a counter down and some generic chairs/tables. It wasn't unique to the space.

It was also pretty dirty. I remember a LOT of flies buzzing around - in the bakery cases, near the tables, etc.

Since there's not a single independent coffee shop nearby (and this close to Boston College? What kind of college town is this? I digress), I would recommend Peet's around the corner as the lesser evil.

Posted by Newtonian October 26, 08 06:39 PM
  1. The country is at war ,the economy is in the dumper,People are struggling to feed thier children, Infation is up and so is unemployment, the police are losing their details We are in the midst of a very important election probaly the most important one in our lifetime.. Who has the time to care about starbucks? Get a life you losers.

Posted by saul from newton October 26, 08 07:49 PM
  1. As a Newton resident, I'm delighted that a Starbucks is being removed and optimistic that it will be replaced by something better. I always grab coffee at Peet's around the corner anyway!

Posted by MAP October 26, 08 07:59 PM
  1. I remember the days as a Coffee Connection store as well. I don't remember it ever being that busy though, even then.

It was a great idea as a location, for CC and Starbucks. But it never had the traffic. Parking was an enormous pain. If you were getting off the D line, then it worked well. Otherwise, not so much. You had to know it was there or you'd never find it.

Who ever moves in next will have the same challenges. Good luck to them.

Posted by Andy from Pittsburgh October 27, 08 10:49 AM
  1. Time to Make the Donuts!!!!! Go for it Dunkin Donuts! It's your time now.

Posted by "Fred, the Baker" October 27, 08 07:29 PM
  1. Loved the location. Remember when it was CC, loved Starbucks too.

Too bad. Hopefully something good will come in. Maybe Peet's or another coffeshop?

Posted by Kabren October 27, 08 09:10 PM
  1. I'm hoping for a combo bank/nail salon

Posted by Mr. Long Nail Need Money October 28, 08 04:05 PM
  1. Simply tragic. Why on earth did they close this full-service Starbucks and leave the coffee & pastries-only Starbucks on Centre St? If the concern was ratio of customers to sq. footage, they should have realized that the Centre Street store traffic would have been driven to Union St.

Posted by Want breakfast with my coffee! November 8, 08 08:49 AM
  1. get your coffee at the langley rd. dunkin' donuts! i'll show you yummy DECENTLY priced coffee.

Posted by I pour your coffee but I have an advanced degree. December 9, 08 02:06 PM