RadioBDC Logo
Sound of Summer | Fever Charm Listen Live
THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

AT&T defends deal as boon to consumer

Says US does not understand market

Associated Press / September 10, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

WASHINGTON - AT&T is countering the US government’s attempt to block its $39 billion acquisition of T-Mobile by depicting the deal as a way to provide consumers with better cellphone service at lower prices.

The argument, submitted in a court filing yesterday, is AT&T Inc.’s first legal response to a lawsuit that the Department of Justice filed last week in an effort to ensure T-Mobile remains independent. AT&T’s 25-page document echoed the company’s previous contention that buying rival T-Mobile will enable it to expand its mobile communications network so there are fewer dropped connections in a world where constant online access is becoming the norm.

The Justice Department believes there wouldn’t be enough competition if AT&T acquires T-Mobile, creating a void that would increase prices and reduce the incentive to develop new technology.

AT&T’s lawyers contend that the Justice Department’s analysis reflects a misunderstanding of the market. They say T-Mobile, the fourth-largest cellphone carrier with 33.6 million customers, isn’t a significant competitive threat to AT&T, the number two carrier with nearly 100 million customers. T-Mobile has been losing market share in recent years, a trend that AT&T argues will discourage its German parent, Deutsche Telekom, from investing to improve its own wireless network.

In contrast, AT&T says it spent more than $30 billion in network upgrades from 2008 through 2010, yet still can’t keep up with customers’ growing demand to transfer data over phones and other wireless devices, according to the court documents.

But if it can snap up T-Mobile, AT&T believes the added capacity will put it in a better position to deliver better services. AT&T has pledged to invest at least $8 billion and transfer 5,000 jobs currently in overseas call centers back to the United States if the T-Mobile purchase goes through.

The court filing also seeks to counter the Justice Department’s theory that the US cellphone market would be dominated by just three carriers - AT&T, Verizon Wireless, and Sprint Nextel Corp - if T-Mobile disappears from the market. AT&T’s filing cites “innovative upstarts’’ MetroPCS and Leap/Cricket and regional carriers such as US Cellular and Cellular South as viable alternatives for most consumers.