Another installment in our ongoing series to help innovative MassChallenge companies get the word out about what they offer and get connected with what they need to thrive.
How did RallyPoint get started?
RallyPoint’s founders first met in the Baghdad Province of Iraq in 2008. Yinon Weiss was serving as a Special Forces commander, while Aaron Kletzing was a Company Fire Support officer. But, as is so often the case, the two lost contact when they were deployed in different directions. Three years later, they reunited at Harvard Business School. They shared similar interests, backgrounds and ultimately the same career path. If the military was a private business, they’d have been professional contacts that could have helped each other along the way. But, unlike the private sector, there was no practical way in the military for the two to stay connected on a professional level. RallyPoint was therefore born out of the desire to help others stay connected and gain greater control over their military careers.
RallyPoint finished as runner-up in the 2012 Harvard Business School Business Plan Competition and won this year’s MassChallenge. RallyPoint’s Board of Advisors includes General (Retired) George Casey, who most recently served as the US Army Chief of Staff – the most senior ranking member of the US Army. Prior to that position, Casey commanded all forces in Iraq.
What does RallyPoint do?
RallyPoint is the private, gated-access network for US military professionals, and it has been called "LinkedIn for the military". RallyPoint’s goal is to revolutionize the way military professionals connect, develop, and pursue fulfilling opportunities throughout their careers.
RallyPoint brings the private sector’s best practices to US Department of Defense vertical – the world’s largest and most complex hierarchical organization. First, RallyPoint benefits our servicemembers by helping them take greater control of their military careers while in still service. Second, RallyPoint helps servicemembers line up civilian jobs even years before they transition by creating the most comprehensive employer-to-servicemember skill matching network in the country. RallyPoint also connects servicemembers with institutions of higher learning and the full universe of goods and services providers with unprecedented efficiency.
RallyPoint empowers military professionals to:
1. Discover new career opportunities within the military
2. Grow and better leverage their professional military network
3. Secure their ideal civilian job or educational opportunity long before they leave the service
RallyPoint provides these benefits through a purpose-driven professional online network that is specifically designed for the military. It creates transparency, provides career insight, and lets individuals make better and more informed career decisions – whether they are staying in uniform or leaving the service.
How can our readers be of help?
RallyPoint has been in invitation-only beta testing since Aug 1, and with a growing community of several hundred active members, we are fully launching our beta to US military service members on Veterans Day. Here’s how you can help!
If you know someone who is…
- Interested in connecting with members of the US military at the right time and with unprecedented efficiency, refer them to RallyPoint.com and have them email email@example.com.
- Serving today in the military – whether Active Duty, National Guard, or Reserves – forward them this article and tell them to visit RallyPoint.com.
- Currently in an ROTC program, send them our way! We love having pre-commission ROTC users on our site, and many of them are among our most enthusiastic users! This is their chance to form the relationships that will so critically influence the opportunities they’re given during their military careers.
- A military spouse, ensure they know about RallyPoint! This is their chance to discover, pursue, and secure the military opportunities that are best for their family.
- A veteran who is no longer serving, tell them about RallyPoint as well! We’ll soon be broadening our fantastic community to include these individuals, and this gives them the chance, for the first time, to rejoin the ranks of their old units alongside the leaders currently serving there. How cool is that!
The author is solely responsible for the content.
Meet Boston's coolest, smartest and most dynamic founders in our REEL Innovators video series!