Elka Ostrovsky from ‘Hot in Cleveland’
Senior citizens such as Elka Ostrovsky, Betty White’s sharp-tongued character on TV Land’s “Hot in Cleveland,” have gained benefits from the Affordable Care Act, says Zamosky.
Some of those benefits come in the form of increased services, such as preventive care. Under the Affordable Care Act, Medicare covers mammograms and colonoscopies with no out-of-pocket costs, and one annual wellness visit is free. And the law will eliminate the so-called doughnut hole—the gap in prescription drug coverage that has left seniors paying full price for their drugs at certain spending levels.
“The law is slowly closing the doughnut hole,” says Zamosky. “By 2020, the discounts will grow to 75 percent, leaving seniors to pay just 25 percent of drug costs.”
“Next year, Medicare will look about the same for most seniors,” Wedig says. “But as the health care system adapts to Obamacare, Medicare will likely also adapt.”
He says seniors should understand that the hype and scare tactics surrounding Medicare dwarf any actual concrete changes to the program under Obamacare.