Kringles recalls high-powered magnets; Sold exclusively on Amazon.com
Date: Jan. 31, 2013
Units: About 4,200
When two or more magnets are swallowed, they can link together inside a child’s intestines and clamp onto body tissues, causing intestinal obstructions, perforations, sepsis and death. No incidents or injuries have been reported to this product directly. However, there have been 80 reports of incidents involving ingestion of other high powered magnets, resulting in 79 reports seeking medical intervention. The products were sold on Amazon.com from Nov. 2010 through Dec. 2011 for about $25 to $30.